What parts of the legendarium do you wish we knew more?

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
kzer_za

What parts of the legendarium do you wish we knew more?

Post by kzer_za »

Tolkien's legendarium is of course an unfinished project, with only LotR and The Hobbit as the absolutely definitive "canon" (and even there, The Hobbit is problematic in some ways). So what do you wish he had written more about?

The biggest one that will be obvious to anyone who's dove deep into the legendarium is the aborted rewrite of Fall of Gondolin. A completed version would have been spectacular indeed.

I wish we knew more about the outer nations of Harad, Rhun, Khand, etc and he would have developed their history and culture further. The racial or at least ethnocentric critique that the non-western nations are, even if not inherently evil, all monolithically deceived by Sauron has some legitimacy I think. Tolkien was thinking in the right direction with his late reconsideration of the blue wizards (see HoME XII), having pockets of resistance against Sauron in the East for thousands of years even back to the Second Age - too bad he never got to elaborate. (It would be a nice irony if Harad was resisting Sauron more effectively than late Númenor!)

I would like to hear more about Beorn and the Beornings outside The Hobbit, as well as the woodmen.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: What parts of the legendarium do you wish we knew more?

Post by Alatar »

I'd like to know what was happening in the War in the North during the War of the Ring.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Alatar wrote:I'd like to know what was happening in the War in the North during the War of the Ring.
+1
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I would have liked to read the stories in The Silmarillion, but told from the point of view of everyday people. That's one of the things that made LOTR so compelling.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I would really like to know about the two Blue Istari.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I've always been intrigued by the grim hillmen of Lamedon...
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Poor, poor Ghân Buri Ghân. Nobody ever wants to know more about them. :cry:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

yovargas wrote:Poor, poor Ghân Buri Ghân. Nobody ever wants to know more about them. :cry:
I do!

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

There's a whole section in Unfinished Tales about the Drúedain, Ghân's people.

Personally, I would like to hear more about the three remarkable daughters of Gerontius "the Old Took" Took.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Like Vinnie, I've always wanted to know more about the peoples of the east.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Actually, I read something, and now what I want is a romantic comedy detailing Beorn's courtship and marriage. Because, who? And how?

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

What did you read?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Inanna wrote:What did you read?
Someone asking that very question. Possibly on the blog that I linked in the Bree thread.

Morwenna

Post by Morwenna »

I'd like to know more about the area around he Sea of Rhun, particularly Dorwinion. The Mirkwood elves traded with the people there for their wines, probably among other things, and I can't help wondering what other settlements were along the River Running. Were they men? more elves? If men, where from, or more accurately, to whom they were related: Easterlings? Northmen? Relatives of the Beornings?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Hi, Morwenna!
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

kzer_za wrote: wish we knew more about the outer nations of Harad, Rhun, Khand, etc and he would have developed their history and culture further.
Yes! these areas have been the subject of a lot of my fan fiction!
Morwenna wrote:I'd like to know more about the area around he Sea of Rhun, particularly Dorwinion.
Another area of interest of mine. How the men of Dale, the Easterlings, and back in history, Rhovania and how they all contended with each other, and how did such fine wine come to be made in Dorwinion?

probably the most interesting area and time for me is the northern kingdom of Arnor and the history. the whole issue of the partition has always had interest to me.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins