Looking for "On the Construction of 'The Silmarillion'

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
TolkienJRR

Looking for "On the Construction of 'The Silmarillion'

Post by TolkienJRR »

Looking for "On the Construction of 'The Silmarillion'" by Charles Noad.

Does anyone know where I could obtain this? other than spending $100 for Tolkien's Legendarium?
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Looking for "On the Construction of 'The Silmarillion'

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I am not aware of it being available any place other than in Tolkien's Legendarium, I'm afraid. That is a great collection of essays, but it is very expensive. Perhaps you could borrow a copy from a library near you?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I am not aware of it being available any place other than in Tolkien's Legendarium, I'm afraid. That is a great collection of essays, but it is very expensive. Perhaps you could borrow a copy from a library near you?

Great idea, I shall check into it. Thanks.
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

You can find libraries that carry it by going to this link:

http://www.worldcat.org/title/tolkiens- ... ef_results
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."