List of Books By and About Tolkien

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: List of Books By and About Tolkien

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Apparently, there has been some controversy about that announcement, with some people claiming that it is an attempt to milk Tolkien's popularity. Poppycock! This is a valuable resource regarding and important aspect of Tolkien's scholarship, and about his influences as a writer.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

That's the third time you've used "poppycock" today. We might have to restrict your access to that word unless and until you're able to prove that you can use that word responsibly.

:P
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

We could put it into the word changer and have it come out the other end as "Pish-tosh!"

But actually, I rather like "Poppycock!"

*adjusts her little lace gloves*
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
JonasHS

Post by JonasHS »

Morgoth's Ring ebook version is available for preoder on Apple Books release date 2019-17-10.
Voronwë the Faithful

Interesting. Just Morgoth's Ring? Not any other volume of HoMe?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
JonasHS

Post by JonasHS »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Interesting. Just Morgoth's Ring? Not any other volume of HoMe?
The book of Lost Tales 1 and 2 is already available as ebooks but no other parts of HoMe is.
Voronwë the Faithful

I mentioned this in the Library thread about book collecting, but it should go here as well

An Illustrated Edition of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Unfinished Tales is Coming

There has never been an illustrated edition of Unfinished Tales, and so far as I know, there has never been a work with illustrations by all of arguably the three leading Tolkien artists, Alan Lee, John Howe and Ted Nasmith. As I said in the book collecting thread, I'm not usually one to collect different editions of the same book, but I might have to make an exception here.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'll definitely be getting that!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

I figured you might!

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Voronwë the Faithful

If it doesn't turn out to be available in the U.S., I might have to get you to get me a copy!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

No worries!
Voronwë the Faithful

:hug:
Voronwë the Faithful

Here is an interesting bit of news.
We are delighted to announce the release of a brand-new audiobook of The Hobbit, read by award-winning actor, director and author Andy Serkis! This magical new recording arrives this September and is now available to pre-order:
In May, Andy Serkis embarked on his #Hobbitathon, a live, cover-to-cover reading of The Hobbit, in an 11-hour sitting with the intent to raise money for COVID-19 relief efforts. Inhabiting each character as only he can, Andy’s narration enthralled more than 650,000 fans across the world as he took live storytelling to a new level, raising over £300,000 for charity.
Andy Serkis has donated his fee to The DEC (The Disasters Emergency Committee) who are providing global assistance to those countries seriously struggling with the effects of the pandemic. HarperCollins has matched Andy’s contribution.

https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Hobbit-A ... jqNmcWBM9Y
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Interesting! Guess it was a big hit.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Here is an image of the new illustrated Unfinished Tales.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Wow.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Christmas sorted
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Here is an image of the new illustrated Unfinished Tales.
Awesome! Unfinished Tales has to be my favorite of the post-Silmarillion books save maybe Children of Húrin.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Voronwë the Faithful

I pre-ordered my copy today. I think the release date in the UK was Oct. 1, but here it is (I believe), Oct. 20. Since I have stopped using Amazon, it will take a little longer for me to get it, but its not like I don't already know what it says. ;)
Voronwë the Faithful

My copy arrived today. It is gorgeous!