The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Weird. It comes up fine for me, even after I clear my cache.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

The link from The Atlantic? I can read it.

Like a true abuser, Trump likes to add insult to injury.
There is, as always, a certain clarity to Trump’s cruelty. The president seems to understand, on some level, something profoundly true about the creaking mechanics of misogyny: Sexual abuse is not, ultimately, about sexual attraction. It is about power. It is about one person’s exertion of will over another. In this way, “She’s not my type” is deeply entangled with the president’s long-standing habit of dismissing unruly women through his negative assessments of their attractiveness: the women as the sexual commodities, Donald Trump as the discerning consumer.
He's a pig.

I do hope some read Cohen's book but I would think if anything is going to move someone from Trump's 'base' it will be because they are personally affected, perhaps..as with the post office issue.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

No the link to Michael Cohen's site with the Foreword to his book.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Up until the early twentieth century, presidential candidates generally didn't travel the country to campaign. COVID is seeing this style of campaigning coming back into fashion.
Voronwë the Faithful

And in the latest of episode of "this won't matter even though it should":

Trump says he didn't discuss hacked emails with Roger Stone. A bipartisan Senate report says he did.
WASHINGTON — In a thousand-page bipartisan report released Tuesday, the Senate Intelligence Committee painted a stark portrait of a Trump campaign eager to accept help from a foreign power in 2016, and a candidate closely involved in the effort.

The Senate report, the most detailed account to date of the Trump campaign's embrace of Russian election interference, also asserted that the allegations that Ukraine interfered in the election — which President Donald Trump perpetuated — originated with Russian intelligence agencies.

The report, which the committee's Republican majority approved, says the committee assessed that the president discussed hacked emails with his longtime associate, Roger Stone — even though Trump told special counsel Robert Mueller he didn't recall doing so.

The report highlighted some never-before-seen evidence about Trump and Russia, including three allegations of potentially compromising material relating to Trump's private trips to Russia that were unconnected to the dossier compiled by former British spy Christopher Steele.

"Separate from Steele's memos, which the Committee did not use for support, the Committee became aware of three general sets of allegations" involving women, the report said, two of which described a tape. No such allegations were confirmed, but the finding lent new credence to at least one claim in the widely discredited Steele dossier.

The committee endorsed the view of special counsel Robert Mueller and the Roger Stone prosecution team that the Trump campaign eagerly embraced Russian help in 2016, and considered the hacked emails its "October surprise" even though campaign officials knew the material was stolen by Russian intelligence.
Remember, this is a committee led by a Republican.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

You know, it doesn't even matter if pre-election kompromat exists. The fact the 2016 Trump Campaign engaged in this kind of activity is compromising in its very nature. What did the Russians feel they were owed for this and do they feel paid in full? And is the 2020 Trump Campaign dipping in that same well?

Also...the RNC servers got hacked just like the DNC one did. The material was never published. One is left wonder why.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:And in the latest of episode of "this won't matter even though it should":
This is what I find most disconcerting. The sheer volume of standards that have been destroyed under this administration. No honor, no integrity, no regard for so many things.
Voronwë the Faithful

I have been a bit out of it the past few days for obvious reasons, but i wanted to mention that we can add Steve Bannon to the list of indicted Trump associates for his role in allegedly defrauding donors to a crowdfunding campaign to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:we can add Steve Bannon to the list of indicted Trump associates
There seems to be rather a lot of them for an administration which was meant to be draining the swamp.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

But did they actually build any wall?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Túrin Turambar wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:we can add Steve Bannon to the list of indicted Trump associates
There seems to be rather a lot of them for an administration which was meant to be draining the swamp.
You think? :scratch: :whistle: :roll:

There's a video clip from June 2019fundraiser/telethon where Bannon 'jokes' with Kolfage about using the funds for a yacht.

These swamp creatures really like to 'hide their crimes in plain sight' so, if you're listening Russia...
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Túrin Turambar wrote:There seems to be rather a lot of them for an administration which was meant to be draining the swamp.

I mean... I guess technically putting them in jail qualifies??
Last edited by elengil on Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

When Trump said he was going to drain the swamp, he neglected to mention he was going to refill it with his creatures.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:
Túrin Turambar wrote:There seems to be rather a lot of them for an administration which was meant to be draining the swamp.

I mean... I guess technically putting them in jail qualifies??
:rotfl:
River wrote:When Trump said he was going to drain the swamp, he neglected to mention he was going to refill it with his creatures.
Predators need prey. And decoys to take the fall/distract.
One of the fascinating things about Trump (a trait of narcissists in general) is that they tend to be bold and to say & do things in plain sight that are SO bold/ludicrous most people don't take what they say seriously. Pushing the limits, testing the waters (of what others will accept), daring to be caught. People blow it off as bluster, but that is a mistake. What they accuse others of doing, they are almost certainly doing themselves.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Frelga wrote:But did they actually build any wall?
I think their section was the one that fell over.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Yeah, they had corrosion and water problems, didn't they? And built it without permits, etc..
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

River wrote:
I have no idea if this is a joke or not. :help:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote:
River wrote:
I have no idea if this is a joke or not. :help:
Nope. No joke. Well, I mean, River is not joking.The wall they built was a joke of a construction.

How easy would it be to dig under that? Geez.. well constructed complicated tunnels are found under the border wall all of the time.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

On the topic of draining the swamp, there seems to be a certain commonality among the speakers at the upcoming RNC.
RNC Speakers.jpg
RNC Speakers.jpg (62.39 KiB) Viewed 6130 times
Voronwë the Faithful

Trump himself is speaking on all 4 days.

SMH.