Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Sunsilver

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Sunsilver »

Honestly!! :roll:

Conspiracy theorists claim Texas snow is fake:

https://twentytwowords.com/snow-texas-c ... tvXNRx1ysU
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Túrin Turambar wrote:CPAC has cancelled scheduled speaker rapper Young Pharaoh over anti-Semitic tweets. The theme of CPAC this year is "America uncancelled".
:rotfl:

Sunny, it's like they're trying to outdo the crazy. He-who-must-not-be-named has his followers believing noting is real.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Ah, this explains the golden calf jokes this morning.

Golden Trump statue turns heads at CPAC
Zegan says every aspect of the statue -- which puts Trump in a suit jacket, American-flag-themed shorts and flip-flop sandals -- is intended to be symbolic
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It should be likened to the worshipping of the golden calf.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Minnesota's state supreme court has ruled that it's not a felony to rape someone who's passed out drunk as long as you didn't get her drunk without her consent. In passing they note that this also means that if you're having a medical operation for which you agree to be anesthetized, and the doctor molests you while you're unconscious, that's also not a felony.

https://www.mncourts.gov/mncourtsgov/me ... 032421.pdf

And the court's textual argument isn't entirely unreasonable -- it basically comes down to one extra comma in the relevant law -- even though the court allows that a "commonsense understanding" of the law would lead to a different result.

When was that law passed? I may have missed it, but the ruling doesn't appear to say. Recently enough that we could just ask the legislators if that's what they meant to do?
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

So, never have surgery in Minnesota. Check.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

The Fuck. I thought it was one of the sane states.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

YIKES. That's awful. And what if someone has a stroke? Epilepsy? Passes out (not due to alcohol)? geez.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

You don't consent to a stroke. I guess that's the logic? If you signed the papers for anesthesia you implicitly consented to off-the-record procedures?

The state legislature needs to fix that asap.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Yes, I realize one doesn't consent to a stroke, but if a creep happens upon a poor unconscious person might they say they thought the victim was drunk/passed out.
elengil

Post by elengil »

was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Omg! I saw the headlines about the attack but didn't realize that someone was killed.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

2 people. An officer and the suspect.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

So, this guy talks a lot about dietary issues, but this video goes so far beyond that - into opioid use, social media, etc. It's nothing new exactly but it is presented in a very stark way.

was a 2020 planner.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Florida House of Representative passes bill prohibiting transgender girls from playing on girls’ sports teams.

That's bad enough, but then there's this:

"The legislation has been among the most controversial of the session, generating hours of debate over amendments. House Republicans voted down 18 amendments offered by Democrats on the floor on Tuesday. Those included changes that would have carved out elementary and middle school children from the bill, prohibited genital inspections or codified the current Florida High School Athletic Association guidelines into law."

So if this bill is signed into law, a girl who plays high school sports in Florida, upon having her sex challenged (by other players? by the coach of an opposing team?) could be required to expose herself (and who gets to "inspect"?) if she wished to keep playing.

I think there's a word for someone who forces kids to show their genitals to adults.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

That's not even an accurate tell. 46XY can look like a girl if there's a mutation on the Y chromosome. And some genitalia are ambiguous. It's not common, but neither is transgenderism.

I realize, of course, that none of these laws targeting trans people, and transwomen and girls in particular, have anything to do with biology.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Need to talk to a Shirriff or Web Istar? Post here!

Post by Frelga »

No, they are a way to avoid helping the majority of citizens through being horrible to a minority. Historically, it has worked for the perpetrators briefly before blowing up into the faces of absolutely everybody.

Also, not even a karyotype is 100% conclusive, because mosaics.

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The perpetrator of the Indiana FedEx facility shooting which killed eight people was an obsessive My Little Pony fan.
Posts on Brandon Hole’s since-taken-down Facebook page appear to indicate he was a member of the “Bronies” community — a group of mostly adult men who are extreme fans of the kiddie toys and animated television show, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Some members are sexually attracted to the characters, while the group also has allegedly displayed far-right tendencies.

“I hope that I can be with Ap­ple­jack [the main character] in the af­ter­life, my life has no mean­ing with­out her,” Hole wrote on his Facebook page at 10:19 p.m. Thursday, less than an hour before his rampage began, the outlet reported.
Apparently My Little Pony fandom is riddled with white nationalism and far-right extremism.

I have tried to write some sort of response to all this. I've got nothing.
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

Perhaps confirmation bias comes into play?
In a society built on deceit, telling truth is a seditious act
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

My kids watch My Little Pony. Once you get past the pink it's a nice little show about friendship and social skills. My kids are also the target audience. As for bronies...I got nothing. I knew of them because I spend too much time on the internet but I'm not going to let some weirdos on the net ruin the fun for my naive kids.