Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Frelga »

I saw this on Twitter, decided it was several bridges too far and has to be a joke, but I guess not?

QAnon supporters gather in downtown Dallas expecting JFK Jr. to reappear
The group believes the reappearance of John F. Kennedy Jr., who died in plane crash in 1999, will bring about the reinstatement of Donald Trump as president.
I quit.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

You really need to stop posting these Onion articles.
Oh, wait. Never mind.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I went to the local news source which are in general accurate on the local subjects. And yet.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh for the luva pete. People have left this planet. Seriously, wtf.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The Cargo Cults of the South Pacific allowed anthropologists to observe the rise of a new religion over a couple of generations. We seem to be seeing the same thing much faster here.

I honestly think that, when the former President dies, he's going to attain some sort of messianic status with some of these people.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Túrin Turambar wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:53 am I honestly think that, when the former President dies, he's going to attain some sort of messianic status with some of these people.
Some evidence would suggest he already has.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful

Former and likely future. Most likely for life.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I believe I have said this before, although I'm not sure I've mentioned it on this board, but the former president reminds me incredibly of L. Ron Hubbard who immortalized himself via Scientology.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:54 pm I saw this on Twitter, decided it was several bridges too far and has to be a joke, but I guess not?

QAnon supporters gather in downtown Dallas expecting JFK Jr. to reappear
The group believes the reappearance of John F. Kennedy Jr., who died in plane crash in 1999, will bring about the reinstatement of Donald Trump as president.
I quit.
Oh, it gets better. This isn't the first time!
I was telling Sweetie about it and he asked for more details than I had cared to read the first time around so I went looking for another article (the one you posted apparently didn't want me reading it from home) and found the following come up in a search. From July 3, 2019

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... ry-854938/
:doh:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I have never been able to understand their fascination with JFK Jr.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:02 pm I have never been able to understand their fascination with JFK Jr.
I can't understand anyone who continues to follow the source of "predictions" that repeatedly don't come true.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:02 pm I have never been able to understand their fascination with JFK Jr.
Right? I feel like there ought to be some method in madness. Why JFK Jr., who was a democrat, IIRC?

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:35 pm
Right? I feel like there ought to be some method in madness. Why JFK Jr., who was a democrat, IIRC?
I'm not going to waste a lot of brain space on it, but I'd guess it ties in with theories that JFK was killed by the 'Deep State' and JFK Jr. went 'under cover' to expose the global cabal. I would also think that it is an effort to.. turn? convert? Democrats into supporting Trump. Evidently, whomever Q is, they have long tried to tie Kennedy and Trump going so far as to post fake quotes “If my dear friend Donald Trump ever decided to sacrifice his fabulous billionaire lifestyle to become president he would be an unstoppable force for ultimate justice that Democrats and Republicans alike would celebrate,” claiming it was in George Magazine (a magazine run by JFK Jr) just prior to JFK Jr's. death. However, just like everything else Q, it's fake. In a nutshell Trump (Bannon, et al) are fiercely anti-establishment and constantly aggrieved that they do not receive the unfettered admiration, adulation, and unquestioned power he feels he deserves. It is an effort to vindicate Trump by latching onto a popular recent president (who was already rife with conspiracy theories, making it easier for those into such things to believe it).
Voronwë the Faithful

Maybe they conflate him with RFK, Jr.?

x-posted with Frelga.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

On a less sinister, more amusing note.

The Hill has added a note to its article admitting their mistake.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

A spade being called a spade.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Three students were killed and eight other people were injured in a school shooting today in Oxford, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. An editor at the Huffington Post shared this video, which apparently shows students barricaded in a classroom as they are entreated to exit by someone who might have been a law enforcement officer or might have been the shooter (allegedly a sophomore at the school) impersonating a law enforcement officer. The students are particularly alarmed when the person says, "Come take a look at my badge, bro," and flee through a window.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The fourth student died yesterday.

Meanwhile in New York

Voronwë the Faithful

Trump finally tells the truth!

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

So which is he? Stupid or corrupt?
When you can do nothing what can you do?