Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by RoseMorninStar »

“I’m very disappointed in Kavanaugh,” Mr Trump told Mr (Michael) Wolff in an interview, according to the book ('Landslide'). “He just hasn’t had the courage you need to be a great justice.”

Behind closed doors, Mr Trump was reportedly much more vicious in his denunciations of Mr Kavanaugh and his two other nominees, Justices Amy Coney Barrett and Neil Gorsuch, over the court’s decision.

Of Mr Kavanaugh, he reportedly added: “Where would he be without me? I saved his life. He wouldn’t even be in a law firm. Who would have had him? Nobody. Totally disgraced. Only I saved him.”
Is Trump saying he nominated and advocated for someone unfit for a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court? Presumably f in exchange for favors? This should be shocking.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:52 am
Of Mr Kavanaugh, he reportedly added: “Where would he be without me? I saved his life. He wouldn’t even be in a law firm. Who would have had him? Nobody. Totally disgraced. Only I saved him.”
Is Trump saying he nominated and advocated for someone unfit for a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court? Presumably f in exchange for favors? This should be shocking.
No, no, he hires only the best people.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Not strictly related to the subject of this thread, but one of my favourite conservative commentators is Ben Sixsmith - he's in The Spectator with a guide to conservative commentators.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Ok be honest, who did you think it was about before you got to the quote?

Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

None of the several people I've shown that too seem to find it as funny as I do. Ah well. I still think "the 95-year-old queen" is an improvement over "Florida man," and a *giant* improvement over the "former guy" that the crowd seems to be settling on.

I mean come on; the guy's *extremely* touchy, he lives for drama, and he wears tons of makeup.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I can't imagine any other major political figure wearing such ridiculous make-up/bizarre hairstyle.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I still can't figure out if y'all are talking about Donald Trump or Boris Johnson...
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Does Boris Johnson wear make-up?
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

No idea. Maybe that chalky white is natural. Maybe it's Maybelline.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

With all due given to Mr. Trump, nobody had more bizarre skin tones that John Boehner.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Me reading this:
:suspicious:
:?
:shock: :shock: :shock:

WHAT???

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That Hobby Lobby has been buying architectural artifacts has been a thing for some time. They've also gotten scammed (multiple times) where they THOUGHT they were buying illegal smuggled artifacts & got caught.
Voronwë the Faithful

This is behind a paywall at the Washington Post so I haven't read it, but the title is amusing and topical for this board.

Forget Hungary. Tucker Carlson is all about Mordor now
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It's a tongue-in-cheek/sarcastic piece. Can I quote it here or is copyright an issue?
Voronwë the Faithful

Go ahead (but thanks for asking!).
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Opinion by
Alexandra Petri/Washington Post
I certainly did enjoy my fun speaking engagements in Hungary and quality time with Viktor Orbán — a man some call “increasingly autocratic" but I call a nice guy “whose views would have seemed moderate and conventional [just a few years ago]” and whose only crime is thinking “families are more important than banks.” But that is all behind me now. I’ve found a place I like even more. My next travel will take me to a land I find infinitely more congenial and consider in even better keeping with the new tendencies of the conservative movement.

I am honored to announce I will be speaking next week at the Mordor Summit in Barad-dûr at the invitation of Dark Lord Sauron! This is the future of conservatism, and I’m excited to throw open the Overton Window and let in the nazguls.

It was wonderful to spend time in Hungary, a country Freedom House describes as “sliding into authoritarian rule” — but why stop there when I could be in a land Freedom House describes as “under authoritarian rule for two-and-a-half thousand years"? That’s two-and-a-half thousand times more aspirational! That’s 10 times longer than the United States has been a country at all, and hundreds of times longer than we’ve been deliberately sliding away from at least theoretically embracing representative democracy.

Freedom House says that in Hungary, “authorities have … interfered with opposition figures’ peaceful political activities” and that the country suffers from ”unequal access to the media”; Freedom House’s report on Mordor states that “opposition figures have … been eaten by the great spider Shelob." Freedom House warns that the governing coalition in Hungary has “worked to close or acquire critical media outlets since 2015,” but in Mordor, Freedom House reports, “there are no critical media outlets, only the battle cries of the fearsome Uruk-hai.”

God, what a difference from America. Honestly, my country makes me sick, and I look forward to croaking that out next week before a rapt audience of trolls and, if I’m lucky, a balrog. A pluralistic democracy founded on free and fair elections in which what binds us is not ethnicity or the shared fear of the watchful, unblinking eye of Sauron, but an idea? Disgusting.

We, as I’m always telling my millions-strong television audience, we don’t have real freedom here (whoever wins the election gets to be president, even if I don’t like them), and I often wish we were more like Mordor. I wish that instead of getting to yell at me and try to shame away my advertisers when I said objectionable things, dissidents would simply be trampled underfoot by an oliphaunt. We can’t waste another minute: We have got to replace all our institutions with orcs. The floating eye on the back of the dollar bill can stay.

I liked a lot about what was going on in Hungary, but it absolutely pales in contrast to Mordor. Everyone has been so welcoming. The Witch-king of Angmar and I are going to brunch Monday, and then we’re going to appear on a panel together. This is my new spiritual home, and the more I learn about it, the more I find myself unable to bear the noisome sunlight of the United States. Where are our hosts of orcs, all roaring with vitriol for those beyond their borders? Where is our enormous fortress of dark magic surveilling all the subjects of the land? I want to live in a place that seethes with hatred of outsiders at all times and is willing to trade almost any amount of freedom in exchange for that privilege. Also, I love the rivers of molten rock. Very scenic!

Everything here that I have seen (through the thick darkness shrouding everything, broken only by the intermittent fire spewing from Mount Doom), I have liked. I pine for the freedom they have, the freedom to have all decisions made correctly by Sauron. The freedom to have one’s every act forged in the fierce heat of hatred and despair. I feel like I fit right in — and if people listen to me, we can have this in America, too.
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks, Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

The original article has a lot of hyperlinks from 'The One Wiki To Rule Them All'

Some of the comments are hilarious (which are often the best part of such articles, imo):
If this is middle earth, then is Joe Manchin the steward of Gondor?
No, that was Bill Barr and he is still falling from the parapet, aflame. It is a long way down and it ends but one way.

It is what you get from looking into the vacuum of the soul sucking Orange Menace from the Swamps of Mir-a-Lardo.

Manchin is more like Fëanor who has a Simaril of bi-partisanship that he thinks will light the way but his pride will cause him to lose it if he thinks he and it alone will hold against The Reaper and the Creeping Orange Menace shadow.
One commenter thought the article was 'too cute by half'/a tiny idea taken too far' to which came the response:
C'mon, she has a contract has has to hit approximately 700 words. You want her to lose her job?

And frankly, I could have gone with it for another couple thousand. What, no mention or Smaug? Saruman? Gollum? Grima Wormtongue? Denethor? The Watcher in the Water? Morgoth? Barrow-Wights? The Sackville-Baggins's? Bill Ferny? Glad she mentioned Trolls, but could have given them their names (Bert, Tom and William, although we know them as Rand, Ted, and Lindsey),

And that's just off the top of my head (OK, I had to look up Bill Ferny's last name, but he would have been perfect as one of Tucker's suck-up guests).
Tucker as Grima Wormtongue sounds dead on, but Trump is too small a man to be Sauron. Perhaps Rupert Murdoch is Sauron.
I think Putin is Sauron and Trump is Saruman. Tucker is definitely Grima Wormtongue.
"FOOL OF A TUCK!" - Gandalf, probably...
"Throw yourself in next time, and rid us of your stupidity."
Another:
Some day the strength of democracy shall fail and real freedom and equality will be banished from this America.
Some day Fascists will win and our light will falter and fail.

Today is not that day!

We will again prevail! And the light will return for the future as we work to cool our planet and raise up it's people together.
:rofl:
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

This makes me sadder than I can possibly imagine. Who is the monster? *disgusted*
A Surf School Owner Allegedly Killed His Children After Being "Enlightened By QAnon," Federal Officials Said
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Nothing to see here; just the American Taliban sticking up for the Afghani chapter (screenshot in case she takes it down).
boebert.png
boebert.png (15.89 KiB) Viewed 3359 times