Gun Control Debate

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Gun Control Debate

Post by Frelga »

Oh yes, so much wrong with that picture. Her finger is on the trigger! You don't put your finger on the trigger unless you are ready to shoot someone dead.

I've never fired a handgun but even I can see that she clearly hasn't either.

That's leaving aside how wrong, and illegal, it is to point a gun at people who are walking by on the sidewalk.

If I ever felt the need to defend my house, I'd be doing it from under a cover and not where I will be overrun in seconds and hit over the head with my own gun after the recoil made me smack the gun into my own nose. And my husband wouldn't be pointing the gun at me half the time, ffs.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

There's all that.

And there's also the mayor using intimidation tactics to silence dissent.

Geez!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

When I see the photo of those people in front of their big home with guns aimed at people out front all I can hear is the music from 'The Beverly Hillbillies' playing in my head.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Showing those elites who's boss...except they live in a mansion and own a law firm.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

RoseMorninStar wrote:When I see the photo of those people in front of their big home with guns aimed at people out front all I can hear is the music from 'The Beverly Hillbillies' playing in my head.
Why in the world would they remind you of the Beverly Hillbillies? :scratch: They are big city lawyers without a lick of common sense. Jed Clampett always seemed like a sensible guy to me- the few episodes I've seen.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yeah, they seem like the diametric opposite of the Beverly Hillbillies to me.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Ozarks Rockerfellers?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Maria wrote:
RoseMorninStar wrote:When I see the photo of those people in front of their big home with guns aimed at people out front all I can hear is the music from 'The Beverly Hillbillies' playing in my head.
Why in the world would they remind you of the Beverly Hillbillies? :scratch: They are big city lawyers without a lick of common sense. Jed Clampett always seemed like a sensible guy to me- the few episodes I've seen.
I suppose.. if I had given it much thought.. which I didn't. I haven't read much about the couple. From looking at the photo they reminded me of the Beverly Hillbillies (Granny in particular); in front of a fancy house, barefoot with guns aimed at passersby. Granny would have had her boots on, however.
Voronwë the Faithful

The supposedly liberal Ninth Circuit of the Court of Appeals has struck down California's ban on high capacity magazines in a 2-1 opinion. The judge who wrote the opinion is one of the conservative judges anywhere, Kenneth K. Lee, who was appointed by Trump last year and confirmed in a contentious vote by McConnell and his crew, despite the objections of California's two senators. The other vote in favor was from Consuelo Callahan, who was the lead judge in my case before the Ninth Circuit, 13 years ago (and was a leading candidate to be a SCOTUS appointee by George W. Bush, though that never happened). I'm sure that California will seek rehearing before the full court, but those are rarely granted, and I doubt that the SCOTUS would overturn this decision.

https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/ ... -55376.pdf

:(
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:( Indeed.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

CO's ban on high-capacity magazines has been standing up. What's different about the CA law?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

Nothing. It is simply a matter of a bad draw of judges. The dissenting opinion points out that other circuits have upheld similar regulations, and that this decision is not consistent with other Ninth Circuit precedent, but to no avail. The only hope is that the full panel takes it up, which is possible but unlikely.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

On Friday, a federal judge in California struck down that state's ban on assault weapons, which has been on the books since 1989. Here is the opinion. As noted here, on page 47, the judge wrote this, which I believe is untrue:

"More people have died from the Covid-19 vaccine than mass shootings in California."
Voronwë the Faithful

He also wrote that an AR-15 was like a Swiss army knife, because it was good for "both home and battle." I'm still trying to get my brain wrapped around that.

It is likely that this decision will be reversed by the Ninth Circuit, but the big question is whether the SCOTUS will take the case on. I would guess that if they do, the ban will be held unconstitutional, ridiculous as such a ruling would be.
Voronwë the Faithful

I was going to post this earlier when the site went down. Here is an article at Slate that details a few of the other remarkably wrong statements in Judge Benitez's decision.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... d=msedgntp
Voronwë the Faithful

I said in the Roe v. Wade thread that the Texas abortion law had rivals for the the title of the worst law recently passed by the Texas legislature. One might think that I was thinking of the horrible voter suppression laws that they passed recently after the Democrats in the Texas House ended their self-exile, but as bad as that legislation is, that is not what I was referring to. It was this:

New Texas “Unlicensed Carry” Gun Law Lets Just About Anyone Carry a Gun
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That state has gone Go to….
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

They really seem like they're trying to maneuver into a position where when the next secession bill comes up, the rest of us will say "please do."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The crazy thing is, Texas is very close to being majority blue. But gerrymandering...
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I'm not happy about the numbers, by any means, but I wonder how much the disparity in COVID deaths is going to change demographics. Like, could it actually flip counties that were hard hit?
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF