The California Shooting, Ideology and Mental Illness-Updated

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: The California Shooting, Ideology and Mental Illness-Upd

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:knows nothing of code: but agrees with Griffy 100%
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

What I find curious about incels is that while most supremacist movements consist of people who believe themselves to be biologically superior, the incels are a supremacist movement of people who believe themselves to be biologically inferior.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Túrin Turambar wrote:What I find curious about incels is that while most supremacist movements consist of people who believe themselves to be biologically superior, the incels are a supremacist movement of people who believe themselves to be biologically inferior.
I'm not sure that's true, at least not across the board. From what I've read incels consider women to be inferior and that is why they are so angry.. they don't feel women should have the right to turn them down and blame them for their their troubles.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

True, but they also view themselves as inherently inferior to attractive people. On their forums they go on about their "subhuman genes". It's quite odd to look at.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

As every bigoted ideology, it's all about being owed something by other people.

Ultimately, fascism is the ideology of the entitled mediocrity.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Griffon64 wrote: This is the root of racism, too: if you define your own attributes as desirable, the attributes of others as undesirable, or if you arbitrarily assign meaning or behavior to physical attributes, why! it only takes a few seconds of this type of lying to declare yourself morally, intellectually, or financially superior to others. You don't have to bother with putting in hard work or adding value to your life or the lives of others: something you were born with did all the work for you, and supplied condemnation for others!
And yet, for a group that defines themselves as being 'superior' they sure act insecure AF. Like, everyone who ascribes to any kind of superiority ideology seems, to me, to actually have a deep inferiority complex. I am thinking from now on I'm going to call them White Insecurists. They sure don't *act* like they feel superior.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

In Richlands, VA, a 23-year-old self-identified Incel blows off his own hand in a failed attempt to make a bomb to plant in the local shopping mall.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Túrin Turambar wrote:In Richlands, VA, a 23-year-old self-identified Incel blows off his own hand in a failed attempt to make a bomb to plant in the local shopping mall.
:er:
Ugh.
What is up with people? Geez. Sounds like a very sick sexual fantasy.
I suppose he'll blame this on 'hot cheerleaders' too. :nono:
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:
Túrin Turambar wrote:In Richlands, VA, a 23-year-old self-identified Incel blows off his own hand in a failed attempt to make a bomb to plant in the local shopping mall.
:er:
Ugh.
What is up with people? Geez. Sounds like a very sick sexual fantasy.
I suppose he'll blame this on 'hot cheerleaders' too. :nono:

I realize I have become so attuned to reacting to uncomfortable and tragic situations with a very sick sense of humor that I don't even want to write what my first thought was when I read this.

But I also am seeing that Incels are sort of like the poor-man's version of White Insecuritists. If you feel so insecure that you need to assault others to feel superior... if you have been so indoctrinated with inferiority that you think it's a perfectly acceptable option to go blow other random people up... There is something deeply disturbing in society. Whether these are the growing pains of some new sickness, or the death throes of an old one, being in the middle of it is rather terrifying.

I literally cannot conceive of the mentality that makes these choices and thinks 'yeah, that seems reasonable'.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF