What's allowable in Advertising? (and related issues)

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

What's allowable in Advertising? (and related issues)

Post by Alatar »

This story has been getting a lot of attention over here.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 21337.html

Basically it's an ad for Crisps (or what Americans call Chips) using scantily clad women playing rugby. Granted, it has absolutely nothing to do with crisps, but the ad campaign has been very successful in getting a lot of publicity, whether positive or negative. I find the ads amusing, and not a little sexy, and really find the whole thing a little laughable. I suppose my question is, why is this any more sexist than the "Diet Coke Break" ads, where office working women gathered to watch a well built construction worker take his shirt off?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Really? Those aren't even particularly sexual. Pretty tame.

I get why people are bugged by using sex to sell products but I do hope we as a society can get to a point where we can say a sexy person is sexy without being "sexist".
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

I am reminded of my childhood. My sister would repeatedly do annoying/immature/childish things to me, and I to her -- and when the "victim" ran screaming to our mother about the "offender," my mother would always reply, "You're just giving her the reaction she wants. Ignore her, and she'll quickly find something else to do/some other way to express herself."

Y'all's chipmaker seems to be channeling y'all's low-cost airline admirably well, as the article points out, and the women who are publicly! outraged! about this are giving the chip people exactly what they want (and guaranteeing we'll see more outrageous!!!1 ads like this, just like we will inevitably hear more yawnworthy proposals from Ryanair about how they are paying engineers to design an airline system that will allow them to charge extra for access to oxygen on planes.)

The chips don't look that appetizing to me, and similarly, those women ain't my type. I find the ads more juvenile than amusing, but I'd be surprised if they rank among the top ten issues women/feminists should be focused on in Ireland. If that had aired in the US, I'd prefer that women's rights advocates continue to focus on issues like access to reproductive choice, women in sports, women's advancement in math and sciences, etc. Maybe we can make additional progress in these issues while the men are off "staring at [those women's] crisps."
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I don't think it's necessarily more sexist. It's just that mostly naked women are much more common than bare-chested men.

I guess part of me thinks there are bigger things (no pun intended) to worry about, but then another part of me is annoyed that sex has to be used to sell things, even something ridiculous like potato chips. It seems like the cheapest, crudest way to make a sale. (And I suppose, from a marketing standpoint, why wouldn't you go that route? Cheap and easy.)

One ad getting some attention over here is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMxyZQfMmM4

Evidently, ABC and FOX had issues with it.

http://insidecurve.lanebryant.com/buzz/ ... t-want-it/
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: What's allowable in Advertising?

Post by Frelga »

Alatar wrote:I suppose my question is, why is this any more sexist than the "Diet Coke Break" ads, where office working women gathered to watch a well built construction worker take his shirt off?
Because we don't have a long history of men's sexuality being considered as women's property.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:agree:

And women's sexuality as an issue, object of interest, object of control, whatever, has been used in the past (and is now used, in many parts of the world) as a way to keep women down.

I do not say that this ad does that or was intended to do that. But women can and do react to such ads in that context, and certainly have the right to do so if they wish.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: What's allowable in Advertising?

Post by Alatar »

Frelga wrote:
Alatar wrote:I suppose my question is, why is this any more sexist than the "Diet Coke Break" ads, where office working women gathered to watch a well built construction worker take his shirt off?
Because we don't have a long history of men's sexuality being considered as women's property.

See that sounds to me like a double standard. "Bad things were done in the past. So you can't ever have equality. So there."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

So men can't ever have equality with women. . . .

Neither form of sexism is an ideal way for people to view each other. We should all respect each other as human beings, after all.

But one has a long history as a tool of, literally, oppression, and one is such a novelty that many people think it's amusing. In the context, the latter is more likely to get a pass. Certainly this kind of joke is unlikely to deprive men of the chance to be taken seriously in their careers or their ambitions. When that starts to happen, I will take the complaints more seriously.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

You have to wait a lot longer then a few decades for this sort of thing to pass.
-The Decemberists

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I don't care what advertisers use- as long as it doesn't involve subliminal flickers or other as yet undiscovered types of mind control.
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

I have to laugh when I see sexy images - particularly re food or drink - used to sell a product.

If only the world were as sophisticated as you or I. Snobbish? Not really - the sales figures speak louder than this post.
It's about time.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The of course there's the Alpen Ad, which manages to do both...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kyIRIDQbug
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Those poor emaciated people! Obviously the food they are eating has very little nutritional value.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I always ask myself: is it more exploitative than the Swedish Bikini Team?

I then ask myself why it's exploitative and not just exploitive.

I then get a drink...but not an Old Milwaukee. 8)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Alatar wrote:The of course there's the Alpen Ad, which manages to do both...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kyIRIDQbug
Notice how the girls are in it for 300% more time than the guys?
Sexist.
-The Decemberists

WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

And then there's my favorite ad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZOm2YhOI4c

:D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I totally love that ad. :love: "Two tickets to that thing you love!"

It is a superficial relationship, yet deep in its own way.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

He's on a horse.
-The Decemberists

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I find the crisps ad offensive because (I'm speculating due to the large breasts) it didn't use actual female athletes, but rather, heavily made-up sex object women posing as athletes. It's just all around stupid. What's the point? Are they implying the chips are healthy and what athletes eat? If so, why not use real athletes? If not, why dress the sex object women as athletes in the first place? In other words, I don't care about the rather ridiculous use of sex to sell food. What I mind is the vague insult to women athletes that I see, which could be eliminated by using a different theme for the ads.

Naturally, I withdraw all my objections if those women pictured actually are soccer players.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Cerin wrote:What's the point?
Grab attention.
-The Decemberists