Revisiting Rings

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: Revisiting Rings

Post by Alatar »

I'm not buying again until there's new content! :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Well apparently there's an edition with additional bonus content coming out next summer. Not seeing what will be in it yet so can't say if it'll be worth it based on that. For me, I just want the movies looking extra purty on my future shiny new TV. (In reality I don't expect I'll upgrade for another year or so, but knowing these will be available soon certainly makes it harder to resist the temptation....)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Here's news about the upcoming 4K release - apparently it's coming out 1 December:

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I was just looking at my "Official Movie Guide", a book that came out before the first movie was released. There's a picture in it that looks like it's from a scene that didn't make it into either the theatrical or extended version. It shows Galadriel trying to comfort Arwen, putting her hand on Arwen's shoulder as Arwen looks rather distraught.

Does anyone have any background info on this? I can scan and post the picture, if you like...
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Is this the one?

Says it's a deleted scene but looking for more info.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

That's the one!

As far as I can remember, the two of them were never on screen together anywhere in the movie.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Jude wrote:That's the one!

As far as I can remember, the two of them were never on screen together anywhere in the movie.
So I found some reference but I don't know how authoritative it is - that it was a deleted scene somehow connected to the Arwen-at-Helms-Deep scene that was cut.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Okay, I'm trying to find a silly little animated video that was done around the time the Two Towers came out, which shows the Elves marching into Helm's Deep. The Elves are then replaced with racoons dancing to techno pop music.

Anyone still have a link to that video? :horse:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Sunsilver wrote:Okay, I'm trying to find a silly little animated video that was done around the time the Two Towers came out, which shows the Elves marching into Helm's Deep. The Elves are then replaced with racoons dancing to techno pop music.

Anyone still have a link to that video? :horse:
I think it was the badgers, not racoons?

was a 2020 planner.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

YES!! That's the one! Thank you!

Here's something I really enjoyed watching: Colbert interviews Viggo - lots of little things I never knew about the filming of LOTR; plus details about his latest film, which he starred in and directed!

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Viggo's movie is receiving excellent reviews!

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/movie/falli ... kfJiOSCASY
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

I guess this is as good a place as any for this.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Just spotted this in an email from Weta Workshops
Meet Durgat of Moria. Nothing’s set in stone until the film hits the cinema. This rat-like creature was the favoured design for the Moria Orcs, even going so far as to have this life-size mock-up made. Ultimately, the design was scrapped in favour of something more "Orcish".
Moria Orc.jpg
Moria Orc.jpg (219.64 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Goosebump time! This song has been reissued as a video for the 20th anniversary of Fellowship. I will never forget how it stopped me in my tracks, as my husband and I started to leave the theater during the Fellowship credits, 20 years ago:
elengil

Post by elengil »

Alatar, that's a terrifying critter there! LOL

(Not the right thread but will point out this is an excellent reason not to jump the gun on getting anxious over 'leaks' (real or otherwise) because just because they explore some idea does not mean it will ultimately end up being used!)
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

Definitely gave me goosebumps to listen to and watch that.

x-posted with elengil.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Túrin Turambar wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:47 pm Ironically, I think the greater limitations of c. 2000 CGI probably contributed to the high quality of the visual effects work – they were forced to come up with practical effects as workarounds and integrate them. Watching RotK in particular, I’m still amazed at how well the models are blended with the CGI people. The CGI figures and the sound effects trick the mind into not realising that Minas Tirith is a model.
I rewatched the trilogy recently on Blu-ray and this stood out to me too: how well they hide their CG. PJ/et al uses all sorts of tricks like intercutting real models or actors with CG, avoiding close-ups, darkness or dim lighting to smooth the CG models out and make them blend in better (notice how rarely we see Gollum in broad daylight), etc. There are still dated shots here and there like some of the Olog-hai, but much less than one might expect. This is partly because it was made at a time right on the cusp between "CG is a useful tool" and "CG everywhere for everything." Not showing the monster too much is also just a time-honored filmmaking technique - it worked for Jaws and it works for Shelob and the Balrog.

As for everything else I don't have much new to say. FotR is probably the objective overall best. TTT is generally the casual non-reader favorite and I can see why even if it's not mine (and Helms Deep holds up really well while Pelennor has its ups and downs). To honest I was nervous about watching RotK again because there are various things in it that annoy me and I was afraid I wouldn't like it as much as I used to. But despite its flaws I ended up swept away in it as a whole and emotionally moved yet again (nostalgia plays some role but I think it's more than that) and it's probably still my personal favorite. I think I like its EE more than I used to, but that might be because I skipped a lot of the Paths of the Dead this time.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

20 years later I still find out cool little things like this that I didn’t know.
DC017798-3C01-419A-9C78-9B754CEB1F23.jpeg
DC017798-3C01-419A-9C78-9B754CEB1F23.jpeg (110.91 KiB) Viewed 3751 times
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Wow! Yes, that definitely adds even more poignancy to the scene! Peter and co. took such amazing attention to detail that I can forgive him for a few of things, like the avalanche of skulls... :roll:

Before the film's debut, I saw the exhibition of props from Fellowship at an exhibit in Toronto. The attention to detail that had gone into their creation amazed me. Things which you would likely never even see on the screen, like the exquisite engraved decorations on Galadriel's bowl and pitcher, made me realize that if they put as much attention into the script, photography, etc. this movie was sure to be a hit.

And I was right...