The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Elentári wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Did you watch the Dol Guldur clip?

Yeah...loved Christopher Lee's line. Need to see the clip in the context of the whole sequence to make a proper judgment.
Me too, to both things. I wasn't going to watch the clip based on Dcole's comment that it was "almost all of Dol Guldur" but when I realized it was only a little longer than a minute, I realized that wasn't true. Unlike Dave, I wasn't thrilled with Elrond's line, but it probably won't bother me much in the grand scheme of things.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Whoa whoa; I wasn't "thrilled" either :)--I just think Weaving managed to take something that sounds horribly cheesy on paper and make it at least passable.
Voronwë the Faithful

Yeah, I knew as soon as I posted that and saw that you were browsing this forum that you would correct that. :) I'll accept "at least passable".
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

If I understand it correctly, Dave thinks that line is the best in the trilogy?
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Second best, after "It's the dwarves who go swimming! With little hairy women!" Still keeping my fingers crossed that we finally get the backstory for that one in B5A.
Voronwë the Faithful

To be fair, he did say "the trilogy" which would not include LOTR. Honestly, I can think of a lot more horrible lines in LOTR than I can in the Hobbit films.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:The images just appear as little boxes with x's that say "image". At least for me.
Yeah, bizarre...they were showing up in the preview okay but I got the boxes too, when I posted. I opened HoF on another tab and they showed up in the post, so I thought maybe the images were just slow loading. Obviously not....so I've removed the individual links. You can see all the old and new images in the Collider article, anyway - hopefully that link does still work!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I had already seen the images myself; I was just pointing it out for the benefit of others.

Times Square:

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

VtF wrote:I had already seen the images myself; I was just pointing it out for the benefit of others.
Well, I was hoping you or others might be able to shed some light on why the images showed up in the preview initially - they don't now - and not when actually posted. But never mind!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

No clue.

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

All eyes turn to Paris now for the French premiere tonight....

Avant-première du nouvel Hobbit au Grand Rex à Paris

A rough translation (probably from Google) was posted by Bombadil elsewhere....I've tidied it up a bit, but perhaps Jude or someone else fluent can tell us if it is accurate!
"...Precisely, the statement from Warner on Thursday at the Grand Rex will be the presentation of the "Arkenstone" to the great French fans of "The Hobbit". Specially designed for the occasion by a large English jeweller, the Arkenstone is a precious jewel is made of 2750 carats of selenite crystal hand cut and finely polished to give it a shiny appearance. The base is crafted by craftsmen from solid silver and then covered with pure 18 carat gold. 17 customized zirconia stones adorn this base. The whole weighs over a kilo. There will also be the draw of the biggest fans who entered the online game "The Battle of Five Armies" which ended on November 27 via Twitter. Five fans armies clashed by posting almost 90,000 tweets in seven days. The Thorin army was victorious from this contest and will be present at the Rex..."
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

New interview with PJ by The Daily Beast

'No Regrets’: Peter Jackson Says Goodbye to Middle-Earth

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings director talks about leaving the world of J.R.R. Tolkien behind, negative reactions to a female Hobbit character, and his next journey.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm sure that some will violently disagree, but I think this is really well done (note: it includes some BotFA material that I haven't seen before):

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Lovely! :)
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm glad (and a tad bit surprised) that you like that!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Why? None of the clips particularly featured any of PJ's "excesses..."

Just one question raised from the commentary, though: Did Sauron actually want the Lonely Mountain for its strategic position, even without Smaug at the time of TH? I thought it was mainly the potential weapon of the dragon he wanted. Obviously the War in the North is a different matter later on.
~Diana Cortes
Telemachos

Post by Telemachos »

Elentári wrote:Why? None of the clips particularly featured any of PJ's "excesses..."

Just one question raised from the commentary, though: Did Sauron actually want the Lonely Mountain for its strategic position, even without Smaug at the time of TH? I thought it was mainly the potential weapon of the dragon he wanted. Obviously the War in the North is a different matter later on.
I'm not sure this is worthy of a spoiler or so, but I'll be safe just in case (spoiler for minor aspects of BOTFA):
Hidden text.
It's mentioned that Sauron wants to unite his Dol Guldor army with the Gundabad orcs from the North... which would mean either allying with Smaug or getting rid of him (or whoever controls the mountain), taking the resources, and using control of that area of Middle Earth to dramatically increase the forces available to him.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Ah, thanks, Tele....but I didn't mean in the Boyens-Jackson-verse, what about actually in canon?
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, needless to say, at the time that TH was written, it wasn't an issue at all, and never became an issue in the text itself at any time (though perhaps it would have JRRT had followed through with the 1960 revision to the end). As for whether in the broader scheme of things, taking the LOTR appendix A into account (and the Quest for Erebor, though of course technically that is out of bounds), I think it is not an unreasonable inference to make that Sauron would have wanted Erebor for its strategic location and not just the powerful weapon that Smaug could have been, although I don't believe that Gandalf ever specifically said. There was plenty of talk about the importance of forcing Sauron's hand to move on Gondor, rather than taking a more strategic geographic approach in defeating his enemies and I think this could fall in that general thought process (though of course much earlier).
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

That featurette was rather nice. Quick question for Tel. Were the clips in the video all in the final film? These promotional materials so often feature footage that is ultimately cut, and I just wanted to get a sense of how much of it makes it in.