The Hobbit Movie Tie ins [now with potential spoilers]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yeah, I was surprised to see that posted at TORN like it was new news.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I know it has been available to order from Weta for some time, but I thought maybe it was news that it is available (with a firm date) on Amazon now?
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Maybe, but it was posted at TORN as if the book itself was news. I'm pretty sure it was available for pre-order at Amazon previously, but maybe the date is new.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yes, as I said, I have it pre-ordered from Amazon since January.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I may be late to the party again, but I've just noticed this on Amazon UK:

Chronicles: Cloaks & Daggers (The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug)

Going for pre-order price of just under £25

I note it says in small print "Not final cover"

In that case it could well be this one is the finished product - for £30 you get Tauriel in pride of place on the cover...

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Confirmation from Weta that the Tauriel cover is correct; pre-order your signed copy now...

http://www.wetanz.com/chronicles-cloaks ... rs-signed/
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Not impressed. I have no problem with Tauriel, it just doesn't match the other 3 books. Argh!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yeah...

I the price has been revised on Amazon UK from £30 down to £19.50 - that's a bit more like it!
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

My copy of Cloaks and Daggers arrived yesterday....and it is truly worth every penny - absolutely beautiful close-up pictures of the props, weapons, costumes, etc., and a wealth of information to be discovered and digested about things you only get the most fleeting glimpse of on screen - if at all! This book, for me celebrates what I love most about PJ's movies. As Evangeline Lilly eloquently puts it in her foreword...
"Upon entering Peter Jackson's world I found myself in the midst of a collaborative web of care, passion and artistry. Each person I met had a purpose, a plan and the perseverance needed to bring their work to life on the screen, and yet most of these artists would toil unseen by the film's audience. Tirelessly giving of their creative selves, they contributed in humble silence.

That is why I love this book. It is a monument to those individuals."
:love:
~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Re: The Hobbit Movie Tie ins.

Post by Smaug's voice »

From Brian Sibley's Facebook page
Coming October 2014: a little book to which I gave a passing, helping hand...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0062297 ... 86=6786514

sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

The San Diego convention is in full force and WETA has announced a bunch of things that should drive collectors to the bank to check their balances. Their will be two versions of Smaug - one a rather large one on the scale of their earlier Azon on Warg effort and a smaller mini one with the dragon in and out of piles of treasure. They also will have Thror on his throne in Erebor (which is stunning) and Bard firing his black arrow from the rooftops. They will also release their line of LOTR figures including a large Balrog and Faramir - which is the first time a polystone has been done of that character.

But the best may be yet to come as they are teasing GROND for later reveal. I have been waiting for that for eleven years.

GROND!!!
GROND!!!!
GROND!!!!!
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

sauronsfinger wrote:...Bard firing his black arrow from the rooftops

Is that for certain, SF, or could it be any arrow that he's firing? Bit of a spoiler if they've revealed that already... ;)

And YAY for GROND! 8)

smaug's voice wrote:Coming October 2014: a little book to which I gave a passing, helping hand...
SV - how cool! Many congratulations!! :woohoo:
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I think that was Brian Sibley being quoted Elen.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Oh, yeah.... :doh:
~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

:shock: :rotfl:
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Funny. I thought Elen was just congratulating SV for posting that information. :)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

A look at the very cool covers of the Spanish edition of both Jude Fisher and Brian Sibley's forthcoming tie-in books for TBotFA:

http://elanillounico.com/v5/wp-content/ ... lbdlce.jpg

http://elanillounico.com/v5/wp-content/ ... lbdlce.jpg
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Great covers Elen. Thanks for being the lead on this. :thumbsup:

I love the helmet on the Sibley cover. As Gollum might say.... "me wants it"
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

My pleasure, sf...

(psst...Did you spot the dogfight between the eagle and the bats on the Fisher cover?)
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

That Sibley cover is excellent (and the helmet is sort of a dwarven version of the Anglo-Saxon helmets found at Sutton Hoo). I believe this helmet is the same as the ones worn by the Erebor soldiery in the AUJ prologue (as well as those at Azanulbizar).

In nay case, best cover yet!