The Hobbit Movie Tie ins [now with potential spoilers]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's interesting. Will that give us the first indication of what Beorn actually looks like? Or will he be in a trailer or vlog or something before then.

Edited to add: "Exclusive 3.75″ Invisible Bilbo"? :scratch: How do you have an invisible action figure?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

See image below:

halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Or like this perhaps:
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I still think that would have been cooler if they just had the accessories and no actual figure. :D
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: "Exclusive 3.75″ Invisible Bilbo"? :scratch: How do you have an invisible action figure?
Like this: (Another victim of the change to 3 films, the pictures were released after ComicCon last year, I believe. I've certainly been aware of this figure for quite a while...)

As for Beorn, it will be interesting to see if we do indeed get a reveal in the trailers or video diaries before the figure is released. I would have thought so. I can't see what happened with the Bolg figure being repeated. The manufacturers were caught out by the 3-film split, and Bolg no longer being in AUJ...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Oh yeah. Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing that.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Dave_LF wrote:See image below:

Well played Sir Dave.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

It's that time of year again when we start looking forward to the movie tie-in books...

narflet over on TORn has gathered all the latest info and pictures together:
Similar offering to last years output. I've included the ISBN for both the UK and US editions and everything should be available to order now. I've had mine on order for a while, but I've just been waiting to post until the covers were available. US books all have a publication date of 5th Nov, except the Chronicles which is 13th Dec. UK books are due on 7th Nov, except the Annual is listed for 29th Aug and Chronicles is also 13th Dec. NZ (and AU?) books should use the same ISBN as the UK books. Click on any of the images to get to the high res version.

Official Movie Guide, by Brian Sibley. (If you look at the cover at full size, Bilbo appears to have no face.)
US: 9780547898704, UK: 9780007464470
Plus, HarperCollins UK is listing a hardback collectors edition (no idea if there's anything different, other than it being hardcover): 9780007464470

Visual Companion, by Jude Fisher
US: 9780547898742, UK: 9780007467969

Chronicles III: Art & Design, from Weta
US: 9780062265692, UK: 9780007487271

Annual 2014/Activity Book/Almanac
US: 9780547898674, UK: 9780547898674
Image Image

Movie Story Book
US: 9780547901985, UK: 9780007531110

Sticker Book
US: 9780544234680, UK: 9780007531127

Ultimate Sticker Book (can find no US listing for this at the moment)
UK: 9780007528752
The most startling thing IMO is the absence of Thranduil from all of these covers... :shock:

BTW, with my usual nose for a bargain (and early delivery, if last year was anything to go by) The Book Depository are offering up to 25% off a couple of the titles...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Thanks Elen - the first three will definitely end up on my shelves. Not so much the kiddie activity stuff.

I cannot wait for this movie. It should be great.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yup...I already have the Movie Guide and Chronicles III on pre-order. I'll probably pick up the Visual Companion at some point when it hits the stores.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Jude Fisher has posted a the full wrap-around cover for her Visual Companion on her FB page:

Still no Thranduil... :x

But wait...what's this?

Ah, much better! Image
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elentári wrote:Jude Fisher has posted a the full wrap-around cover for her Visual Companion on her FB page:

Still no Thranduil... :x

But wait...what's this?

Ah, much better! Image
Everytime I see Thranduil I get a hankering for a good piece of pie. :scratch:
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Mmmm, don't mind if I do... :D

~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Oleander Took on TORn has stumbled across this new image of a German "game of the film" for DoS on Tumblr

(clickable)

It appears fairly legit, since Kosmos previously published an AUJ game, available on Amazon.de, and a forthcoming DoS one is also listed, but without the image as yet.

Great artwork, in any case. :love:
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

[Do we have a dedicated Weta thread?]

Check out this latest awesome statue from Weta - the very gorgeous Thranduil :love:

http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/ ... ldlrg2.jpg

http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/ ... lelrg3.jpg

I'm seriously tempted...would go very nicely with my Aragorn and Arwen statue!
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I've just ordered the Desolation of Smaug NZ stamps presentation pack, to go with the other Jackson Tolkien movie stamps sets that I've collected over the years.

Just a tad disappointed to see Thranduil has been pushed aside in favour of featuring both Tauriel and Legolas... :x

~Diana Cortes
sinister71

Post by sinister71 »

Does it really surprise anyone anymore that Thranduil is taking a back seat to Legolas and Tauriel? I can say it doesn't shock me at all. Why shouldn't a character not from the book and one that is completely made up get more face time than one from the book... Honestly I'm more upset about Dain being what Billy Connolly says a "cameo", and in his place giving Azog a predominant role as a main villain. Dain so far becomes nothing more than a minor character who at this point has not been seen and has been painted as unhelpful, and unsympathetic to Thorin's quest. Last time I read the Hobbit I remember Dain becoming King under the mountain, I also remember all the great stuff he did in the appendices which have all been ignored. It wouldn't surprise me to see Dwalin made king under the mountain at this point in Jackson's alternate middle earth universe.
If your going to adapt a story you love WHY change it into something else? I truly am curious about that.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I could have understood featuring Legolas & Tauriel together, and the other slot going to Thranduil, but to give them a stamp each at the expense of both the Elvenking and Beorn... :nono:

Maybe they will promote Thranduil more for TABA as he does have a fairly prominent role at the Bo5A...
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Purchased the Tauriel bow and arrow today from WETA. This is going to look great on the wall.....

someday. :scratch:
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Does that mean the basement museum project is back on indefinite hold? :(

Didn't know you were fond of the M-e weapons so much, sf, - why Tauriel's in particular - or have you collected many of the others?
~Diana Cortes