Lord of the Rings series!?

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Lord of the Rings series!?

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I certainly can't vouch for the truth of this, but ...

https://twitter.com/hashtag/LOTRonPrime ... htag_click
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I loved Bear McCreary's work on Battlestar Galactica. Will be interesting to see how he collaborates with Shore!

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

I wonder whether it will mostly be his work, with Shore mostly providing some ideas and the name and connection to the successful films.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:36 pm
TORN are claiming this is confirmed as being Finrod.
Voronwë the Faithful

That actually comes from the "Fellowship of the Fans" and it absolutely is not "confirmed". If someone refuses to say who the source is, then it is not confirmed, and he refuses to say, other than that it is "someone close to the production."

And to be more accurate, what they are actually claiming is that it is a "Galadriel's brother" not that it is Finrod, though the speculation is that the brother of Galadriel that it would most likely be would be Finrod.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I know all that. Which is why I said "are claiming". :)
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

VERY good news. I'm having trouble feeling enthusiastic about the series itself, but I'll definitely listen to the soundtrack.
Alatar wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:33 pm Woohoo! Good news!

http://dlvr.it/S7sQ3C?fbclid=IwAR26k819 ... PZTGdJ7JlU
Oscar-Winning ‘The Lord Of The Rings’ Howard Shore In Talks To Compose Music For Amazon Studios’ Middle Earth-Set TV Series
Voronwë the Faithful

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't know how good the show will be, but the meltdown in certain quarters is going to be hilarious.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:39 pm I don't know how good the show will be, but the meltdown in certain quarters is going to be hilarious.
Already started. :nono:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
elengil

Post by elengil »

Black hobbits, female heroes and other races in Amazon’s new ‘Lord of the Rings’ series draw mixed reactions
CAIiEN3kBiCx7T9IN5MI9Tt954MqFwgEKg8IACoHCAownP3cAjDQkhww_oMo
:suspicious:
Apparently female heroes are their very own race?

Like... what, Amazons? I mean... given the producer... :doh:
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Anduril

Post by Anduril »

As I feared/suspected, they're doing what is easy instead of what is right. There are ways to focus on or feature "non-white" characters while staying consistent with the lore which has many options, like leaning into the Blue Wizards' activities since they possibly came as early as the Second Age. And there's just changing stuff willy-nilly which doesn't "improve" anything and just makes their parent movies look "worse", because where are all the non-"rural English" hobbits by the time of the trilogy? Careless.

If they push back the awakening of Men far enough, akin to alternate lore than what's in the published Silmarillion, there's even a way to extrapolate "black" hobbits or rather their distant ancestors, forefathers of forefathers (of forefathers, etc). As far as I can tell, hobbits would have evolved from other Men since they're called an "offshoot" of Men not just a different kind, nor a separate race like Elves and Dwarves. But it would have been long long ago in the deeps of time before the start of the First Age, in order for enough time to pass from a scientific point of view. This is the Second Age already.
elengil

Post by elengil »

I have never in my life seen a well written, well acted story that was somehow ruined by the color of the actor's skin.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

I think the issue isn't with the "black" part but rather the "hobbits" part. Having a hobbit as a major character in a show set in the second age just doesn't make sense, whether they are black, white, purple or polka-dotted.
elengil

Post by elengil »

The show needs to find broad appeal in the general audience, not just the well-read Tolkien lore audience. And the general audiences very much associates Tolkien with Hobbits and Elves - and since they have spent a great deal of money on this show they do not want to disappoint a good portion of their general audience with a notable lack of one of the two expected groups.

How they manage to incorporate Hobbits into a show set in the Second Age remains to be seen. I'll reserve judgement until it comes out.
was a 2020 planner.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

elengil wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:42 pm I'll reserve judgement until it comes out.
Madness! Madness I tells ya! :)
Voronwë the Faithful

elengil wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:42 pm The show needs to find broad appeal in the general audience, not just the well-read Tolkien lore audience. And the general audiences very much associates Tolkien with Hobbits and Elves - and since they have spent a great deal of money on this show they do not want to disappoint a good portion of their general audience with a notable lack of one of the two expected groups.

How they manage to incorporate Hobbits into a show set in the Second Age remains to be seen. I'll reserve judgement until it comes out.
I agree with all of that, and I think it is well said. I too will reserve judgment until it comes out.

That having been said, if they wanted to include hobbits as part of the tale they are telling but also include battles and high level politics and intrigue, etc., they very easily could have set the show in the early part of the Third Age and tell the story of the rise and fall of the Númenórean kingdoms in exile, which very much intersect with the early history of the Halflings, leading to the founding of the Shire. By instead setting the show in the Second Age they will need to jury-rig Hobbits into the narrative in order to include them, which is likely to turn off the well-read Tolkien lore audience, the very group that setting the show in the Second Age seems most designed to please.

So while I agree that it makes sense to reserve judgment until it comes out, I can't stop my brain from working, and my brain tells me that jury-rigging Hobbits into a Second Age narrative is a mistake.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:20 pm , if they wanted to include hobbits as part of the tale they are telling but also include battles and high level politics and intrigue, etc., they very easily could have set the show in the early part of the Third Age
They may not have been given that option by the estate. I have no idea what the extent of their restrictions or dictations may be involved in what the production decided to do.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

Anything in the LOTR appendices (which is the only place that material exists) was already part of the existing rights that had been sold, so the Estate would not have had much to say about it.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

As a fan I'd have to say early Third Age is the least interesting period to tell a story in though.