Lord of the Rings Online going Free to Play!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: (For) Random Thoughts and Observations

Post by Inanna »

I didn't even make it to Rohan.... I remember Rivendell, and there was some last quest and then RL intervened.
But I need a distraction now.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

elengil wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:57 pm I'll have to double check when I get home, I think it's still Landroval?
sure; let me know. I'll need to start from scratch. I have NO idea what and where I was then.
But at least I'll be on the same server as you and we can meet up. :)

Alatar, join us. Leave your despair behind in Mordor and let's breathe in the fresh air of Rivendell.
;)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

How long does a typical playing session last?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

hmmm. I don't remember.... 30 mins? Longer quests likely take longer, I guess.

I remember there were ways - people would leave their avatars in some hidey corner facing the wall; so that they could restart at that point instead of from the "launch" point in each domain.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Jude wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:52 pm How long does a typical playing session last?
There really isn't a 'typical' play session as such. As Inanna said, some specific types of quests take longer but mostly you don't need to follow them through in one session unless you're doing an instance quest - which is different than a regular quest in that it creates an isolated segment of the game for you to play in rather than playing live among other players, but I don't think lets you exit and reload the same way. Otherwise the quests don't need to be done in any particular time frame unless it's specifically one of the rare 'timed' quests, which then tend to be pretty short.

I'll have to decide what kind of character I want to start fresh with - I used to be a dedicated Hunter until Warden came out, then I fell in love with Warden until Beornings were released *Bear Form!* Rune Keeper is also a fun one. I think Burglar kind of needs to be in a group, or else some of their skills tend to end up a little useless.

Rune Keeper is the one I've never advanced very far in, I might give that one a try again, or Burglar since I'll finally have co-adventurers!
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yay!

So, elengil post the server name here. And then we can all create characters in it. Waiting!

I was something like a wizard. Forgot the exact name. I had a staff & everything.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Oh I was right, it was Landroval.

Now... to see if I have a free slot to make a new character :rofl:

Inanna wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:55 am Yay!

So, elengil post the server name here. And then we can all create characters in it. Waiting!

I was something like a wizard. Forgot the exact name. I had a staff & everything.
I think that's a Lore Master? Did you get a pet?
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
elengil

Post by elengil »

Okay, 5 minutes to make a character, 2 hours to get a name that wasn't already taken, and about 20 minutes to get through the intro instance, but now Hathiwen, Elf Rune Keeper, is ready to meet you all :)
was a 2020 planner.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

You can play for free if you want to try it out Jude.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I always played for free…
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

How do I get started? And when is your first session?

And would a total n00b interfere with your enjoyment? (I won't mind if you'd rather have more experienced players)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Time zone not friendly for me but I would recommend downloading the game, creating a character on the same server as the others (Landroval I think) and playing through the introductory quests. It serves as a sort of tutorial
elengil

Post by elengil »

Jude wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:59 pm How do I get started? And when is your first session?

And would a total n00b interfere with your enjoyment? (I won't mind if you'd rather have more experienced players)
MMOs aren't really something you can ever mess up. You can't team kill, in a group there's a good chance even if you die someone else can resurrect you, and really just the more people the merrier!

For sessions, I'd think a weekend time would be best, especially if we're going to limit it to only half an hour, we can probably do it really whenever would allow everyone who wants to participate to jump in.

One of the things I really love about this particular game is it's just so pretty! You get to run around Middle Earth!! The Shire, especially, is just fun to be in. There have been times I didn't even do any real 'adventuring', I just sort of ran around the Shire exploring :) I think it's a pretty chill environment for a new player.

Also - one great thing about it is no matter what race of character you play, we can all get together in any starting zone we like, thanks to the "pony express" (it's the stablemaster that lets you travel to other stablemasters, and the starting zones all link immediately to one another so you can have elves, dwarves, hobbits, men, and beornings all playing together right away)
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

So. Tempting. Is that online, or how does one find that thing?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

yes, its online. JOIN US. Jude and Frelga, come on!
https://signup.lotro.com/lotro.php?ftui ... lang=en-US

Guys, to get me through my funk, it would be great if we could do weekdays as well. Post-workday on west coast, late night for me, would work out. Or whatever timezone works for even a subset of us! R's back in office, and after the initial uptick post-India trip, I'm back in my wallow. And I don't want to be.
elengil

Post by elengil »

I believe free accounts let you make up to 5 characters? or 6? Something like that. So you can try out different types of characters and see which one most appeals to you.
Inanna wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:15 pm Guys, to get me through my funk, it would be great if we could do weekdays as well.
I can do some after work play. I get home around 6 Pacific time and can probably be online by 7 if that works for you?
was a 2020 planner.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I feel like this needs a new thread in Golfimbul!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

As soon as I get mine up and running. Apparently, LOTRO and Windows 10 have issues... :(
elengil

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:55 pm As soon as I get mine up and running. Apparently, LOTRO and Windows 10 have issues... :(
Oh! Yes. I vaguely remember this. Let me find the instructions on what to do, it was editing some file to change some program requirement to the latest release... or something....

What is the exact error you're getting and we'll look up the solution!
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Alatar wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:01 pm I feel like this needs a new thread in Golfimbul!
I think there might even already be one. If there is, I will move the posts there. If not, I'll move them to a new one.

ETA: There is one. You even started it! Only 11 years ago!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."