TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by Jude »

So tell me something - if I'm watching a TV series on Netflix that was produced by Netflix, why do they bleep the swear words out? I mean, why do they even put them in if they plan to bleep them out when they broadcast it?

And anyway, it's not like I'm going to clutch my palimpsests every time I hear a naughty word.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Jude wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:58 pm So tell me something - if I'm watching a TV series on Netflix that was produced by Netflix, why do they bleep the swear words out? I mean, why do they even put them in if they plan to bleep them out when they broadcast it?

And anyway, it's not like I'm going to clutch my palimpsests every time I hear a naughty word.
Is it possible they do that in Canada and not the US? That might explain why they put the word in but bleep it if it's country-by-country.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

It's also possible that the left hand isn't speaking to the right hand during the production process.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by Inanna »

Impenitent wrote:
Inanna wrote:Have You read the books, Lali/Imp?
Shadow and Bone? I didn't know it was a book adaptation. Should I look fir it?
The first one - Shadow & Bone - is kiddish.
The other two are still okay. Six of Crows - set in the same universe - is a good book.

I’ve learned from friends that the story from Six of Crows has been intermingled into the series. So, maybe the series is better than the first book.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

So who here has Apple TV? What's worth watching on it? Apparently I got a free year of it when I bought my iPad.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I have it too. Never watched. :P
So, curious to know the answer to Jude’s Q.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

For All Mankind is well worth watching. Alternate history where Russia won the Space Race.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Woot.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't know how I would do it, if I were doing it.

Very mildly spoilery thoughts:
Hidden text.
Murderbot is ultimately a trauma survivor, almost like POW, and that is filtered through his cynicism and poor social skills. We get the horrified reactions of humans who realize how he'd been treated second hand. How do you do that on TV? And how do you show his hacking and his communication with the various bots and systems? Especially when he keeps pointing out how slow humans are to him.

I also wonder if they'll keep the world building. The marital partners and poly families, augmented humans, the feed, various genders, evil corporations and the basically communist Preservation. I don't think subscription services are going to do all of that justice.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Haa anyone watched Bo Burnham's Inside?
Well worth the time.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I've heard good things, Impish.

Not sure how I feel about this one.

Michael Sheen, David Tennant to reunite for Good Omens season 2

elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:24 pm Not sure how I feel about this one.
Agreed, though the fact that it's got Gaiman involved does give hope.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Also, the fact that the plot for the sequel was worked out by Neil and PTerry one late night sharing a room at a book conference!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yes, both of those points. I like Gaiman fine, as writer and showrunner, and I'm sure he can write an excellent book about the characters. But it was the collaboration between him and Pratchett that made Good Omens such as scintillating read. And it was also a product of its time, which the Amazon series didn't try to update too much. I dunno.

Gaiman also has Sandman series in production. I am not familiar with the comics, but it sounds like closer to Gaiman's typical horror and probably Not My Thang.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I love the movie 'Stardust' (Gaiman). I've also read the book and I recall there were some differences, but it's been a long time. I recall it as more fanciful than horror.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Agreed. Feeling…. Very wait and watch. Gaiman’s tendency towards horror makes him hard for me.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Agree that Sir Terry's touch will be a sore loss to any continuation of the story.

Agree that while Gaiman is very known for his horror, when he doesn't do horror it is really quite magical, but even his non-horror can be somewhat horrific at times. Coraline and Mirror Mask, for example. Stardust was brilliant, though. Some of his short stories are very good reads, The Sleeper and the Spindle was his take on Sleeping Beauty, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Sandman certainly had parts that were way too much for me, which is unfortunate as I was enjoying it before it went completely into graphic horror.
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I glad I've been forewarned about Gaiman re: horror. I wasn't aware of that. I think I've read the Sleeper & the Spindle too.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

He's more of a supernatural horror writer than mass casualty horror or innocent people being attacked by monsters horror. I can handle American Gods just fine, for example.

His stories are not much more intense in terms of horror than Tolkien's but more concentrated.