TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:33 pm He's more of a supernatural horror writer than mass casualty horror or innocent people being attacked by monsters horror. I can handle American Gods just fine, for example.

His stories are not much more intense in terms of horror than Tolkien's but more concentrated.
For me American Gods much easier because it was just the written word (well... I say 'just'), it was the literal graphics in Sandman I couldn't tolerate. Though having said that I do wonder if I could handle the series. Don't have Starz (or is it HBO?) so haven't seen it.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

What Frelga said.

I don’t remember reading Stardust. Will check it out. My fav is Neverwhere. Ocean at the End of the Lane is brilliant too.

I liked Sleeper and the spindle as well. Thought of handing it to irika but I think the images of those people will scare her.

Her fav Gaiman is “Fortunately, the Milk”. It is Hilarious! With a capital H.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Inanna, The Graveyard Book is very good, too. Like the Jungle Book, it's a coming of age story. Reading it when Pride and Joy was in middle school was fine, but when I listened to a wonderful full cast audiobook as he was about to graduate from college, the ending broke me and not because of horror.

Stardust the book is not horror, or not any more than most mainstream fantasy, but the movie is much lighter than even that.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I love this one:

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

You know what? I think that A Bit of Fry and Laurie from the 1990s may be the all-time high point of television.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I watched the Jeeves & Wooster series on YouTube last winter & I thoroughly enjoyed it.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Their adaptations of Jeeves & Wooster was brilliant. That's what introduced me to P.G. Wodehouse.

Another classic:

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:rofl:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Neil Gaiman is on a roll. He has the Sandman TV series being filmed. American Gods had 3 seasons and will keep going, I think. Good Omens 2 is coming. And he just announced that Anansi Boys will be an Amazon TV series.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

And he played a big role in encouraging and supporting Suzanna Clarke in writing and publishing Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, for which I am vastly grateful.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I'm several years late, but I'm absolutely hooked on Downton Abbey.

Any other fans here?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Jude wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:50 am I'm several years late, but I'm absolutely hooked on Downton Abbey.

Any other fans here?
I enjoyed it while it was originally airing.
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

I have been enjoying the series Reservation Dogs.
Nearly 100% Native-American cast, writers, directors, and crew! A solid production!
Uncle Billie in episode 3 cracks me up!
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I wanted to like NCIS: Hawaii for some undemanding action watching. I liked Enver Gjokaj in Agent Carter, so it had that going for it.

It's just meh. All family problems and insipid dialog, and actors making faces at the camera. There were 3 minutes of action 45 minutes in.

Actors are good looking, though.

Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Frelga wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:47 am I wanted to like NCIS: Hawaii for some undemanding action watching.
Gah, really? Are they trying to make up for Hawaii 50 finishing a 10-season run?
The whole NCIS formula has been seriously flogged to death in my opinion. I was a fan of the original for the first ten or so seasons, but but never got into the spinoffs. When I started seeing story-recycling in the original show's scripts, I lost interest... that and Cote de Pablo as Zina David left the show, then Abbey, and the reports of Mark 'Gibbs' Harmon's misogynistic bullying of costars and crew... well, there is just too much good TV to waste on it.

One show I'm getting back into is Sons of Anarchy.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'm enjoying the Brokenwood Mysteries, a Kiwi production with 5 seasons to its name. Think Midsomer Murders but with the quirkiness that charactetises NZ, with a tight cast of good actors that work as a fabulous ensemble. It's light but the whodunnit element is good and getting to know all the dimensions of the townspeople of Brokenwood is really fun.
We're into season 4 now and I'm already saddened at the thought of reaching the end of the series.

Worth watching if you can access it in your neck of the woods.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Smowdog, well, you are not wrong. I dropped the original although I still watch if there's a rerun of older seasons. It's a bit annoying how male characters kept getting more mature but they kept bringing pretty young women for that one team member, and Abby was acting like a teenager for ten years. And I never got into NCIS New Orleans. But I still watch NCIS LA occasionally, and Hettie is my absolute favorite.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Imp, my library has Brokenwood Mysteries on DVD. I've reserved season 1.

In fact, it has 7 series, not 5. Is it the same show?
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Yep, definitely the same show, but it seems that our national broadcaster has only thr first 5 seasons. I'll have to source the other 2.

ETA I've found a trailer.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Hmm... On second thoughts, that program might be too gruesome for me.