The Expanse

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: The Expanse

Post by Inanna »

It “kind of jumped in” your cart? And you “kind of checked it out”? Really?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Books do it to me all the time. I'd go into a bookstore and a bunch of them just kind of follow me home.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Yeah, I was just staring at the title remembering I hadn't had much fun with this series the past couple of books and .....I just went ahead and bought it before I could talk myself out of it.
Plus, my husband is listening to the series now, and he'll probably want this one, too, when he gets this far.

No, it wasn't some kind of autopurchase thing going on. Just hesitancy, a conflicted brain and a full set of credits available. :wooper:

We've been listening to the Liaden Universe books for almost a year now, and haven't been using Audible credits very fast. I figured out at the beginning of the Liaden series that it was cheaper to buy the kindle version with audio version added on than just using an Audible credit to buy the audio version. It's that way with a lot of the cheaper novels. As a result, I've got a lot of credits piling up on Audible.

Sometimes I find free kindle books on Amazon and tack on the audio version for $1.99. It's so much cheaper than a credit. Lots of series have their first book as free like that, so it's a cheap way to try a series.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote:Books do it to me all the time. I'd go into a bookstore and a bunch of them just kind of follow me home.
That is true. They are sneaky like that.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Anyone hear watching the Expanse on Amazon? I've started Season 3 - a fact that I realized as Avasarala was actually swearing.

Show-Holden is getting on my nerves, though.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I've watched all 3 seasons. I actually think it tightens up some of the book by combining characters. Drummer is a perfect example.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Haven’t gotten to Drummer yet...

I like most of it, it’s only Holden who is annoying me. He seems to have two expressions: calm/benevolent or gritting-teeth snarl.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We just watched an old movie called , "Sky High" and one of the characters was played by the guy who plays James Holden.
He was so young, though, I didn't recognized him at first. It wasn't until he spoke that I thought the voice was familiar and looked him up. Sure enough, it was Steven Strait.
strait.jpg
strait.jpg (67.27 KiB) Viewed 11785 times
The whole film was more amusing, knowing that.
(and yeah, I picked that picture because of the teeth-gritting snarl) :rofl:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Snicker. I’ve given up on the series, though.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Inanna wrote:Snicker. I’ve given up on the series, though.
Why?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Prim.

The only one I was discussing it with.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Thats a pity. I think Prim would want you to keep watching it. She was a huge supporter of intelligent Sci-fi.

I was actually just thinking how sad it is that she'll never see it completed.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yes, I agree. But, the drive to discuss it with her (or anyone else, but she was the only who did discuss it), is apparently a primary
Motivator for me.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm happy to discuss it with you Inanna. i'll be watching.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I'll keep watching it, too. I'm just not going to read the books ahead of time anymore.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

So I still haven't started Season 4. And now I'm reading the last book so I want to finish that first. Did anyone watch S4 yet?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We are about 4 episodes in. I've lost track of the changes from the book. :bang: I hate it when they switch which character does what, more even than when they change the storyline drastically. :nono:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I left it at Season 3... I’ll download some for my flight. Thanks for the reminder!
eborr

Post by eborr »

I watched season 4 - with the Amazon backing there is a change in tone, I enjoyed it but the quality of many of the actors is grating, not so much the main actors. although I have the bobby draper in the film is not the bobby in my imagination. the look is right but the character isn't and her story does osgiliath to much for my taste
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I’ve downloaded all of season 3. Will report!