The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
RoseMorninStar

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by RoseMorninStar »

We don't have Netflix and I have not watched The Social Dilemma, but I shut down my Facebook page about a week ago. Perhaps it will be permanent, perhaps it will be temporary until the election is over, I'm not sure yet. I do not get emails from FB, maybe there is a notification option/opt-out in settings?
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I think giving up facebook is more about trying to reclaim the ridiculous amount of time I found myself spending on there, to almost no benefit. It was becoming a bit of an addition...
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I've always been allergic to Facebook. This has been the year where I found out that all the things I thought I was too sensitive and paranoid about? I was not only right, I was not nearly paranoid enough.

I started watching Old Guard, and it looks promising.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:I was not only right, I was not nearly paranoid enough.
Ugh.. yeah...
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote:I've always been allergic to Facebook. This has been the year where I found out that all the things I thought I was too sensitive and paranoid about? I was not only right, I was not nearly paranoid enough.
You are right, but it is hard to back away from when one has far-flung friends that I enjoy keeping in touch with. Messageboards are really nice for that, but Facebook has made them somewhat obsolete.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

MBs are more haymisch than any social media because the circle really is social and the conversation is not ephemeral, but many of my oldies don't frequent MBs any more and so I have been forced to chase them or choose to let them go.

I really want to abandon FB but I need an alternative social communications channel that is actually social.

And I AM looking forward to Dune, though with some trepidation. I found the previous unsatisfying and yet sime of the dramatis personae have been fixed in my mind by that cast - it will take me some time to swap in a new Paul and Jessica.

Imagine a different Gandalf and Sam...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Impenitent on Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Impenitent wrote:MBs are more haymisch than any social media because the circle really is social and the conversation is not ephemeral, but many of my oldies don't frequent MBs any more and so I have been forced to chase them or choose to let them go.

I really want to abandon FB but I need an alternative social communications channel that is actually social.
Exactly. 90% of my FB is/was people I met because of LotR messageboards.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I kept reading MB as Mary Beth the first time...

I left FB a few years ago when I realized it was giving me FOMO.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

And I've just hit acronym overload!

FOMO :?
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

FOMO = fear of missing out (I believe).
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Correct!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We watched the first "Independence Day" movie last night, for the first time in Blu Ray and on a big tv. And it's been so long I'd forgotten most of it.

Wow, that movie ages well! :love:
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Are we talking the last movie I went to a theater to see? Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan
If we're talking on the home theater, it was Easy Rider on DVD last night.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I've never heard of Filmrise but apparently I have it for free 7 on my Comcast box and they have Going Postal. Of the Pratchett adaptations to date, it's the least faithful (until The Watch comes out) but possibly the most successful. Although Hogfather had some excellent points.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We finally got around to watching "Jupiter Ascending" yesterday. It was a little hard to follow at first, but turned into an OK space opera by the end. I'll definitely watch it at least one more time, to sort out the somewhat confusing beginning.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Today I used the word "colossal" on my family's chat thread, and worried that I'd misspelled the word and did a search on it. Google returns all kinds of hits on the movie, "Colossal". The premise seemed cool, so we rented it tonight.
Here's a trailer:

Beforehand, my husband worried aloud that it probably wasn't much more than the trailer..... but we just finished the movie and it is SO much more than the trailer! It's really quite good, and possibly the coolest random movie find I've ever had. :D

I highly recommend it to anyone, not just monster movie fans. :)
Amazing. :)
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Tenet

A lot to say. A remarkable bit of cinematography, but a very complex time-travel plot, not exactly helped by the fact that there's many scenes where the characters are wearing masks and talking over loud background noise. I got most of the dialogue, but I heard almost nothing from the first few scenes.

As with most complex stories, I'd need to watch it again to see it all fit together. I can't say it made a huge impression on me, but then I was never really enthralled by Inceptioneither.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

My Octopus Teacher on Netflix. Breathtaking underwater photography of a guy who spent over a year making friends with an octopus. Less breathtaking, and somewhat excessive, closeups of the guy talking about the experience. If you've ever wanted to see an octopus ride a shark, now you can.

Content warning - octopuses have a limited lifespan.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I saw that a little while ago and thought it was phenomenal. It confirmed that a) octopuses are probably the most interesting animals on earth and b) earth already contains alien life forms.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

It was a wonderful show but I was acutely aware of the false pretense that he was alone with the octopus. There were actually 8 cameramen.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus