Christian Music

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

So when I click on the link it looks like I might be able to listen to it online later?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yep - online live today or when it is repeated on Sunday, or anytime later on iplayer over the next 2 weeks, I believe... :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Wonderful! I will look for it. :)
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Just listened to it, Elen! :)

Lovely. :love:

I particularly liked the Poulenc.

This low church chick really likes Evensong. :D :)

Congrats to your boy and his choir!
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Thanks, Di! :)

Yes, the Poulenc is stunning - particularly when heard live in the cathedral...really gives you chills!

I shall be very emotional when my son leaves at the end of July. It has been such a huge part of our lives for the past 5 years. The leaving choristers always get to choose the music for their last day, which this year will be part of the Southern Cathedrals Festival as it is being held at Chichester. They have chosen Vierne's Messe Solennelle as the Eucharist setting, and the anthem will be Bairstow's "I Sat Down" (which just happens to be my favourite anthem of all time! :love: )

Their final service of Evensong will have Stanford's Canticle in A, and Parry's "Blest Pair of Sirens" (which was sung at William & Kate's wedding)

After the service the choristers traditionally assemble in the South Transept to be dismissed and they sing Harris's setting of Donne's "Bring us, O Lord God", and there will not be a dry eye in the house...
Bring us, O Lord God, at our last awakening into the house and gate of heaven, to enter into that gate and dwell in that house, where there shall be no darkness nor dazzling, but one equal light; no noise nor silence, but one equal music; no fears nor hopes, but one equal possession; no ends nor beginnings, but one equal eternity: in the habitations of thy majesty and glory, world without end.
Amen.

John Donne (1572-1631) Dean of St Paul's Cathedral
The best recording of this available on Youtube is from the King's College Easter broadcast: http://youtu.be/3kizmMOEgQM at approx. 27 mins into the video.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: Christian Music

Post by Jude »

Okay, this is technically Christian music, so it can go in this thread...

For those of you that like choral singing, what do you think of this choir? I'm guessing this recording is from the 50's or 60's:

Personally, I love it. The type of huge vibrato they use seems to have gone out of style, but I find the sound very stirring - I feel like it's reaching right into my soul.

What do the rest of you think?
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Ahhhh, lovely. :love:
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Interesting...has the feel of a Welsh Male Voice choir about it! :)
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That is lovely. It reminds me of the Christmas records my parents used to play. And it sounds a little like my church. . . . Not such strong voices, but the same harmony.

We used to sing "Es ist ein Ros' entsprungen" in my college third-year German class. And others, usually in harmony. I think the professor was delighted to find a class who could read music. He gave us handouts. There were only 15 or 20 of us, but we all seemed to love it. It was our Friday treat, for 15 or 20 minutes at the end of class.

We talk about this regularly in the worship and music committee in our church. People hardly ever sing any more. Lots of them find they love it, once they start—if they find a group where all voices are welcome and the point is just making a joyful noise together. How can we make that part of strengthening our congregation and making an offering to God and each other? Beyond that, beyond church, can singing together help bring people together? I think it could. I saw it happen in my son's choir experiences, and his and my daughter's in musical drama. It was fun. When those kids (not kids any more) get together now, they still sing sometimes. We get carolers.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

can singing together help bring people together?
I think it could save the world, actually.

And I am not being facetious.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Pete Seeger made a movie called "The Power of Song". There is indeed power in music, whether folk music or classical choral music!

Remember that Coca-Cola song, "I'd Like to Teach the World To Sing (In Perfect Harmony)" :D
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Tyrhael

Post by Tyrhael »

I really like that Weihnachtslieder! :D I'm not a Christian per se, but I'm fond of a good amount of Christian hymns, carols, and classical requiems/Passions/etc. The video you posted is right up my alley. :thumbsup:
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

It is a little bit odd to write about “Weihnachtslieder” during this time of the year but I am going to do it anyway:

Primula, it is funny that you mentioned "Es ist ein Ros' entsprungen" in your post. It is my mother’s favorite Christmas Carol, and we sing it every Christmas Eve. I quite like this version:

Usually, we also sing an Austrian Carol called “Es wird scho glei dumpa” which roughly translates to “It will be dark soon”. It is a lovely folk song for children:

My mum also likes a similar song named “Still, still, still, weil’s Kindlein schlafen will”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_ZgDLCf4QQ

Of course, we also sing “Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht”. Alas, my father and my brother are horrible singers (and I am not that good either). My mum tries to make it up with her flute playing. “Silent Night” should be accompanied with a guitar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upiDopbplHk

My father’s favorite Christmas Carol (and arguably mine too) is “Maria durch ein Dornwald ging” which can be translated as “Dear Mary journeys through the thorn”. It is originally a pilgrimage song. There exists a hauntingly beautiful version by the Vienna Boys’ Choir:
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Those are really lovely, Beutlin!

We too sing "Es ist ein Ros" at our Advent carol service most years, and this Christmas we also sang Philip Ledger's arrangement of "Still, Still, Still"

Another recent favourite is MacMillan's "O Radiant Dawn"

~Diana Cortes
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

The Twelve Days of Christmas like you've never heard it before!

JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Is that the original "Straight, No Chaser" group?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Yup!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Here's a bit of history for you - The late and very great Elisabeth Schwarzkopf and friends singing Christmas music:

Welcome to 1949!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Flash mob of "Es ist ein Ros entsprungen" in the Cologne railway station. Absolutely beautiful.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Does the entsprungen live in Fangorn?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!