Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Post by Frelga »

This is not unlike the Russian custom of giving out food in memory of the loved ones. Usually it is done on birthdays, the anniversaries of death, or other significant dates. The custom is to take at least two pieces and not to thank the bereaved.

I still remember when old women would come out to the sidewalk as we walked home to school and offer candy "to remember" as they had no family to remember with them.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

A very nice custom. Having grown up in a melting pot, we lose some of those customs.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I've known this song for years and finally managed to track it down (had the title wrong!)
Made more awesome because it's 'local' - the cities mentioned are all in Washington (or close to it) :D

The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
elengil

Post by elengil »

I was today years old when I heard the original song that the James Bond theme was based on. :shock:
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Gesundheit Mr. Bond? :D
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

https://youtu.be/2pVe_pNnnqA

I have no connection to the South, having only been there long enough to get addicted to fried pickles (about 15 minutes) but these guys crack me up. I didn't know why I found them so relatable until this video.

That's basically my mom's fridge. Not shown, my husband's constant struggle to keep me from doing the same thing.

Gotta love the hundred-reply thread of solidarity from around the world! Sometimes even YouTube comments are worth reading.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

LOL.. how does she have so many margarine containers if she doesn't use it?

I reuse lots of large yogurt containers but most often for things going into the freezer. They are nice for sending food to my daughter. She can just recycle them & is not expected to give them back. I also reuse glass jars. I have a chest freezer and when I make large batches of spaghetti sauce or chili they are nice for storage.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That’s my aunt’s fridge. Just replace those tubs with the yogurt tubs.

I *loved* the sigh and the head shake!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

RoseMorninStar wrote:LOL.. how does she have so many margarine containers if she doesn't use it?
According to the comments, from other people giving her leftovers of shared meals, etc. I can confirm that I have containers from things I've never tasted because my mom sent me a care package in them.

Mom gets it from her mother. Her love language was feeding people.

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I think I might have plugged this Youtube channel before, but anyway, for those interested in American history:

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

We used to belong to a civil war group. It's fascinating period of history. I'm glad I didn't have to live through it.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

https://pca.st/episode/329afbe4-2bfb-4a ... a03a14a88b

A podcast of Neil Gaiman reading the Christmas Carol from Dickens' own prompt copy, marked up by Dickens himself for performing.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This is one of the great sing-alongs of all-time.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

This video has 42 MILLION views! :shock:
Though it sounds like an old standard, Vince Gill wrote "Go Rest High on That Mountain" in 1994, inspired by the death of country great Keith Whitley due to complications from alcoholism in 1989. Though Gill began writing the song after Whitley's death, he finished it following the death of his own older brother in 1993. Despite the devastating lyrical content and tragic circumstances, it's noted for its spiritually optimistic note. Plenty of others thought so too, as the song won two Grammys that year and received the BMI award for "Most Performed Song" in 1997.]
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXrmAK ... ceGillVEVO[/media]
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Sunsilver wrote:This video has 42 MILLION views! :shock:
Though it sounds like an old standard, Vince Gill wrote "Go Rest High on That Mountain" in 1994, inspired by the death of country great Keith Whitley due to complications from alcoholism in 1989. Though Gill began writing the song after Whitley's death, he finished it following the death of his own older brother in 1993. Despite the devastating lyrical content and tragic circumstances, it's noted for its spiritually optimistic note. Plenty of others thought so too, as the song won two Grammys that year and received the BMI award for "Most Performed Song" in 1997.]

Oh I love this song :love:
was a 2020 planner.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Another version of it, done at the Opry for George Jones's funeral. Like the man who inspired Vince to write the song, Jones struggled with addiction problems that destroyed his marriage to his previous wife, singer Tammy Wynette and nearly ruined his career.

Part way through the song, Garth Brooks, who is sitting beside George's widow, Nancy, stands up to pay tribute to George, and to Vince, who is starting to lose it due to emotion. The rest of the Opry audience follows Garth in coming to their feet.

The singer accompanying Vince is Patty Loveless. I found her obvious concern for Vince as he struggles to get through the song very touching.

Last edited by Sunsilver on Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Thoroughly enjoyed! :rotfl:
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Porch pirate foiled by the most Canadian of anti-theft devices: A snowbank

Laughing so hard!!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

The best part is where the guy he attempted to rob tries to give him helpful advice about how to get his car unstuck :D