Anime

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Anime

Post by Hachimitsu »

OK after hiding from my RL anime pushers since middle school, :er: thanks to Pips, Sid and Dawn I have gotten into Bleach. I was never really an anime fan but I would watch some Myasaki movies (OK my RL anime pushers were a little successful). Now since I find Bleach quite good and since I have been sucked into attending Anime North :scarey: next year, I have been getting a few recomendations.

I wanted to know what the good people of HOF think when it comes to anime? What is your favourite? Any type of style you prefer? Are there any good things you could reccomend?

So far I have had recomended to me Nana, Fruits basket, Azumanga Daioh and Gundam something ( I found I didn't like the Gundam stuff). Any good movies? TV series? Manga?

Any newbies to anime please chime in I would love to hear your thoughts. :wave: (I admit, I used to be afraid of anime fans :poke: ).

Oh and did anyone hear that there was a deal for 10 Farscape webisodes?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I did hear that, Wilma! I hope they're interesting.

(Great to see you!)

Anime—I wonder if I'm just too old. There are some Miyazaki films I really do intend to see (I remember watching Kiki's Delivery Service with my daughter years ago and finding it weird but delightful), but beyond that it all gets confusing and is so stylized I don't feel the characters. Part of it is the style of drawing, which for me is hopelessly associated with the awful Gigantor cartoons of my childhood—and I see so many kid artists slavishly drawing in that style when they could be inventing their own styles.

I would be happy to be pointed toward something that would persuade me I'm wrong. :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Primula Baggins wrote: Part of it is the style of drawing, which for me is hopelessly associated with the awful Gigantor cartoons of my childhood
Oh, man. I remember those! And the theme song!

Gigantor! Gigantor! Gigaaaaaaantor!
Gigantor's the space-age robot!
He's at your command!
Gigantor's the space-age robot!
His power is....in your hand!

And what about Speed Racer?

Here he comes, here comes Speed Racer!
He's a demon on wheels!

(Weirdest thing about Speed Racer? That chick Trixie that hung out with him, and got jealous of other girls was his sister!)

And my fave - Astro Boy! The first real anime series! I LOVED him! :love:

And they are making a feature film in 2009, according to this! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astro_boy

There you go Astro Boy.
On your flight into space.
Rocket high, through the sky
What adventures soon you will make.

Astro Boy bombs away
On your mission today
Here's the countdown, and a blast off
Everything is GO Astro boy.

Astro Boy as you fly,
Strange new worlds you will find
Atom sound jet propelled,
Fighting monsters high in the sky.

Astro Boy there you go
Will you fight friend or foe?
Cosmic ranger, life of danger,
Everything is GO Astro Boy.

Friends will cheer you
You're our hero
As you go go GO Astro Boy.

"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Hayo Miyazaki made the following films:

Howls moving castle.
Laputa, castle in the sky.
Spirited away.
Nausicaa of the valley of winds.
Kikis Delivery Service.
Porco Rosso.

6 must have movies for everyone.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I loved Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away.

Haven't seen the others. Do you recommend subtitles or dubbed versions?
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

What about Princess Mononoke?
Kiki's delivery service is really good. I have only seen dubbed versions of those movies but there are people who swear by subtitled versions.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Oh, yes...Princess Mononoke! I forgot about that one! That was awesome, too!

Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Drat. Nausicaa is by someone else.

Yes, Mononoke is another must have.

I recommend dubbed versions, as it tends to be really good, and the Japanese sounds really screechy most of the time.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

What?

Nausicaa is certainly by Hayao Miyazaki! Not only did he write the movie, but he wrote the manga too. We even have a member here whose name comes from a character in the manga.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

wonders if Speed Racer and Kimba the White Lion would be considered anime

I have seen some. Some I like and some I don't.
I think Prim is too old though. :P
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Whippersnapper! :P

I've also been told I must see Grave of the Fireflies. Though I've also heard from more than one source that it's the most heartbreaking film ever made.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

I watched Pokemon as a kid. Does that count? :scratch:
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Holbytla wrote:wonders if Speed Racer and Kimba the White Lion would be considered anime
Don't know about Kimba, but "Speed Racer" most definitely!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Racer

Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Well my introduction to anime was though my friends convincing me to watch Sailor Moon. So I guess Pokemon counts. Also we would have anime parties where one of them would bring a couple of DVDs and the rest of us were forced to watch. A friend has lent me fruits basket and a couple of other titles. I'll see how that goes.

I think Anime movies and Anime TV series are different when it comes to subs and dubs. With a movie they usually get high quality actors to do the dubs. (Claire Danes and Christian Bale (mini swoon) did Princess Mononoke and Howl's moving castle and Kirsten Dunst did Kiki's Delivery Service). For TV series sometimes the dubs can be pretty bad as the voice of the actor does not capture the charater well. (If anyone watches the English dub of Bleach in the begining the voice actor for Renji really got on my nerves, he gets better though.) Also they change around the story for the North American audience (In Sailor Moon there were 2 "cousins" that were actually lovers in the Japanese version) So sometimes it helps to watch the subtitles since even though you don't get the language the intonation of the charaters while they are speaking helps alot. Sometimes you can really change the way a charater comes across just by the intonation of a small amout of dialogue. When voice work is one for anime in Japan, all the actors get together and record in the same room and play off each like a radio play. In North America when dubs are done the actors are isolated in a booth and only have the director to give them any inkling on how the say the diologue. I can really notice the difference especially when it comes to comic timing. Usually I try to watch both a dubbed version and subtitled version.

I find for some people they have gotten into anime by accident as their parents were looking for some innocent cartoon and they picked up anime by accident thinking it's a cartoon so it's OK for kids (Noooooooooo!!!! I am very fortunate I have friends who sensor stuff for me so I don't accidentally get traumatized. There are so many times I have done this :scarey: ).
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I actually used to enjoy cardcatchers somewhat.

And of course Nausicaa is by Hayo. It's Porco Rosso that's by someone else... I think.
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

All that Crucifer mentioned were made by Miyazaki, and in addition to those, at least My Neighbor Totoro is very well known internationally (and, it's one of his "feel-good" movies).

Here's the man's complete filmography, if someone is interested.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

It seems he was involved with Porco Rosso too.

Cardcaptors? I watched that a little bit. With watching bleach I am realizing that at times anime can make fun of itself. Bleach has a charater that I am sure was created to poke fun at Kirobearos from Cardcaptors.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I thought he only made 6 films. My mistake.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Primula Baggins wrote:I did hear that, Wilma! I hope they're interesting.

(Great to see you!)

Anime—I wonder if I'm just too old. There are some Miyazaki films I really do intend to see (I remember watching Kiki's Delivery Service with my daughter years ago and finding it weird but delightful),
What was weird about Kiki's delivery service?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

As I remember, it was the sense of geographical displacement. A lot of the esthetic was Japanese, the setting was a sort of fairy-tale Europe, and the voices were American. The overall effect was unearthly.

But the movie was entertaining and imaginative. My daughter and I both liked it.