Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Post by Inanna »

Want me to give you a shovel?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Not sure if this goes in here, or in a political thread. https://youtu.be/hI8TCA3fJcs
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That was beautiful, narya.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Isn't it nice when the most absurd thing in the internet is not something the US President said?

https://youtu.be/qH05-zu0mBw

The workers of the Russian embassy in Canberra produced, apparently unironically, a video of them singing about embassy life. To the tune of the House of Rising Sun.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote:Isn't it nice when the most absurd thing in the internet is not something the US President said?
Oh yes.. very much so.

As for the song.. nicely done! It is one of my all time favorites ('The Animals' version).
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

:salmon:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:rotfl: That's hilarious!
elengil

Post by elengil »

I remember seeing it make rounds a couple weeks ago or something like that, so I have no idea where I first saw it, but it came back up and I was all - I gotta share everywhere just in case they haven't seen it, but I may be sharing it at in the same place I saw it so...

If that's the case, sorry, my brain doesn't retain that kind of information. :D
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I haven't seen it before.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

What a wonderful, heart-warming story!
A grandson of slaves, a boy was born in a poor neighborhood of New Orleans known as the "Back of Town." His father abandoned the family when the child was an infant. His mother became a prostitute and the boy and his sister had to live with their grandmother.
Early in life he proved to be gifted for music and with three other kids he sang in the streets of New Orleans. His first gains were coins that were thrown to them.
A Jewish family, Karnofsky, who had emigrated from Lithuania to the USA, had pity for the 7-year-old boy and brought him into their home. Initially giving 'work' in the house, to feed this hungry child. There he remained and slept in this Jewish family's home where, for one of the first times in his life, he was treated with kindness and tenderness.
When he went to bed, Mrs. Karnovsky sang him a Russian lullaby that he would sing with her. Later, he learned to sing and play several Russian and Jewish songs. Over time, this boy became like an adopted son of this family.

The Karnofskys gave him money to buy his first musical instrument, as was the custom in the Jewish families. They sincerely admired his musical talent. Later, when he became a professional musician and composer, he used Jewish melodies in some of his compositions.

The young black boy grew up and wrote a book about this Jewish family who had adopted him in 1907. In memory of this family, and until the end of his life, he wore a Star of David and said that in this family he had learned "how to live real life and determination."

You might recognize his name. This little boy was called Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong.
The original version of this said the nickname 'Satchmo' was given to him by the Karnovsys, and it is Yiddish for 'big cheeks'. That's not true - it's short for 'satchel mouth'! Below is the poem Lou wrote about the Russian lullaby.

There are a few things in the story that are not true. The Karnovsky's did not adopt him, and he did not sleep in their house, though they did employ him to do chores, and they made sure he got a good meal before he went home to his grandmother. He also sang lullabies to their young son, David, to settle him to sleep. The Karnovskys recognized his talent, and bought him his first coronet.

He did wear a star of David to honour them, which is clearly visible in the photo below.

Armstrong would play for hours on end in jazz clubs, and sometimes his lips would split open from playing so long, and he'd have to quit. Over the years his lips became permanently scarred. You can see this quite plainly in the photo below. I remember reading in his autobiography that the one split was so bad "blood was pouring down my shirt. It split so bad, there's meat still missing." :shock: You can clearly see the star of David in the photo.
Attachments
Louis Armstrong poem.jpg
Louis Armstrong poem.jpg (93.16 KiB) Viewed 6003 times
Louis Armstrong.jpg
Louis Armstrong.jpg (78.69 KiB) Viewed 6003 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

One of my favorite ever interspecies duets!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

For those who aren't familiar with the story (like me), here's a brief video from the Lost in Adaptation Youtube Channel on the generally-forgotten 1967 adaptation of The Hobbit, the first-ever licensed film based on a Tolkien book:

[media][/media]
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Erm.. no matter how we feel about PJ's adaptation, it's not as bad as that.
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:24 pm Erm.. no matter how we feel about PJ's adaptation, it's not as bad as that.
I watched until he mentioned the... ahem... "full" movie is available on youtube.

Then of course I simply had to go watch that before my perceptions were... "sullied" ... by his review of it.

I'm 2 minutes in and wondering "what the hell book were they reading?!" Or perhaps the more accurate question is "what on earth was the director smoking on when he came up with this 'adaptation'??"

... only 9 minutes to go. Stay tuned.

edit: I mean... maybe this is where Jackson got some of his ideas?

Honestly, from the brief view of it in the review, I thought Gollum was one of the Spiders.

I am so utterly perplexed why - if this indeed is an officially licensed adaptation - the name changes, Smaug became Slag, or even generics like trolls and goblins became groans and grablins. :scratch:

My final thoughts: better than PJ's version. It bears just as much resemblance to the book (that is to say, very little, and [[[ SPOILER ALERT ]]]an.entirely.unnecessary.romance.subplot[[[ SPOLER ALERT ]]]) but at least it's over quickly :rotfl:

It strikes me as the kind of summary that one gives a child when they want a bedtime story but you don't want to commit.
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

How this YouTube channel has never come up in my feed before I do not know.
Country Life Vlog:

Tolkien fans in Azerbaijan evidently.
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Tue May 18, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's pretty cool! (I removed the youtube tags in your post as they are no longer necessary and were cluttering up the post.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

The color of that tea was spectacular! The whole meal looked amazing. Thank you for sharing!

Also, the look on the sheep's face when she was chopping the ribs... I lol'd.
was a 2020 planner.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Túrin Turambar wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:50 am For those who aren't familiar with the story (like me), here's a brief video from the Lost in Adaptation Youtube Channel on the generally-forgotten 1967 adaptation of The Hobbit, the first-ever licensed film based on a Tolkien book:
Thanks for sharing that. The summary was pretty well done. I first heard about this adaptation when someone on another forum linked to a blog post by Deitch. I think that was in 2006 (at least, I can see that a 2007 post by the same person was the second time he had mentioned it). One weird thing about this video: it never mentions the 1977 Rankin/Bass Hobbit, even though at the 13:31 mark, it shows a clip from that television film while appearing to describe the clip as being from Ralph Bakshi's 1978 theatrical film.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

elengil wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:37 pm
I am so utterly perplexed why - if this indeed is an officially licensed adaptation - the name changes, Smaug became Slag, or even generics like trolls and goblins became groans and grablins. :scratch:
"Slag" might not be as inappropriate a name as first appears. ;)
Slag - waste material produced when coal is dug from the ground, or a substance produced by mixing chemicals with metal that has been heated until it is liquid in order to remove unwanted substances from it

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dic ... glish/slag
As for Groans and Grablins; I like the use of alliteration, and they share a descriptive quality that reminds me of folk tales. Especially "Grablins" for "Goblins". Those greedy creatures that grasp and grab and grapple. :)
In a society built on deceit, telling truth is a seditious act