Discussion of fine arts and literature.
The Only Whistler

Re: The Whistler Gallery, NEW and Gluten Free

Post by The Only Whistler »

Oscar In the Peacock Room
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (193.19 KiB) Viewed 14026 times
Visit my fashionable gallery at vanevanfuller.com, home of the bottomless cup o' coffee.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

One of those pillows has John Singer Sargent's painting Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose on it, or I am a monkey's maiden great-aunt.

Edited to add: Lovely pup, lovely room, very lovely painting.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
The Only Whistler

Primula Baggins wrote:One of those pillows has John Singer Sargent's painting Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose on it, or I am a monkey's maiden great-aunt.

Edited to add: Lovely pup, lovely room, very lovely painting.
Yes, you’ll also see Ophelia and (far left) a portion of The Lady of Shallot.

I had a number of pre-Raphaelite pillows custom made for the room.
Visit my fashionable gallery at vanevanfuller.com, home of the bottomless cup o' coffee.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

And there's Millais's Ophelia.

ETA: You beat me to it.

My mother loved the Pre-Raphaelites. We had a book that I never got tired of looking through when I was small.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
The Only Whistler

One wall has a pre-Raphaelite wallpaper strip designed by the artist Walter Crane. We had to get it through a British historical wallpaper company.

We do our research, over here!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, it's your profession, certainly!

Whereas I write senses-shattering works of thrilling sci-fi wonder (for 5% of my income), and also check the spelling in medical textbooks (for 95%). We all have our place(s) in life. :D
The Only Whistler

Le Lis Colombien

Re-posting this one. It's my first (and probably last) experiment in pre-Raphaelite art. And of course it hangs in the Peacock Room.
Attachments
Le-Lis-Colombien-copy.jpg
Le-Lis-Colombien-copy.jpg (215.41 KiB) Viewed 13980 times
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I do quite like the effect of that one.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
The Only Whistler

A cute red-headed Colombian. I painted her forty times, which verges on madness. But she had such an angelic face! She called herself Hispanic, but she looked like a Medieval English damsel.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's really striking—she looks very modern with that direct gaze and the shorter hair, despite the sixteenth-century dress. (Seventeenth?) Nothing swoony about her.
The Only Whistler

True. She’s a feminist damsel. Her eyes are saying, what am I doing in this crazy outfit? Where are my jeans?

Most of my pictures involve stylistic or philosophical clashes, on some level.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Interesting. I didn't really get the "get me out of this dress" vibe as much as the "you really don't want to mess with me, sweetie" vibe.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
The Only Whistler

The point is, she’s not the fragile flower type. Pre-Raphaelite women usually look as though they’re in the last stages of sickness or despair. This one ain’t.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That's what I was trying to put my finger on. Pre-Raphaelite women are usually looking down, or away, or asleep. Or dead. It's romantic (I loved it as a little girl—that and the atmosphere of the paintings, and the details I could pore over, and the stories I could make up about what was going on).
The Only Whistler

Woman On Red

I forgot this one. Still a bit strong-willed for a pre-Raphaelite lady, but very much in the mode of the Paris Academy painters.
Attachments
Woman-On-Red-copy.jpg
Woman-On-Red-copy.jpg (205.04 KiB) Viewed 13969 times
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The Only Whistler wrote:The point is, she’s not the fragile flower type. Pre-Raphaelite women usually look as though they’re in the last stages of sickness or despair. This one ain’t.
Possibly why they were never my favorite. Yours reminded me of Medusa holding the head of Perseus by the Luciano Garbati. There's a nude with an attitude.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
The Only Whistler

I have nudes with every attitude you can imagine, including homicidal ones.

But you’ll have to go to my gallery for those.
The Only Whistler

Poster for Medea

This is as far from pre-Raphaelite as you can get.
Attachments
Poster-for-Medea-copy.jpg
Poster-for-Medea-copy.jpg (165.66 KiB) Viewed 13947 times
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Do you do this kind of work for theater companies, Whistler, or is this just for its own sake? It's gorgeous.
The Only Whistler

I do it mostly to amuse myself. I have made myself available for forty years, but I've done little for money apart from saccharine Sunday school art and vulgar advertising designs. These have won dozens of awards, all of which I've literally thrown away because I take no pride in them.

My brilliant career falls into two categories: Creating garbage that sells, and non-garbage that doesn't. I was also a writer, but no more: As you know better than I, fame and fortune are even harder to come by in that line self-flagellation.