What are you reading?

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Frelga »

I'm rereading Feet of Clay and realized for the first time that not only dwarves use translations of their actual names when in Ankh-Morpork, but Cheery Littlebottom's actual name in Dwarvish is Sh’rt’azs.
His philosophy was a mixture of three famous schools -- the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans -- and summed up all three of them in his famous phrase, 'You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink."

Terry Pratchett, Small Gods
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

WOW. I need to re-read. I think I should just buy all the Pratchetts on Kindle and resolve this problem for me.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I picked up something called Peaces. Two men go on a honeymoon train trip in a sort of a moving Wonderland. I was still deciding if it was whimsical or pretentious when Fugitive Telemetry dropped in the queue and I decided I didn't care.

Fugitive Telemetry is great, though. Murderbot is my favorite vulnerable failure at being a killing machine.
His philosophy was a mixture of three famous schools -- the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans -- and summed up all three of them in his famous phrase, 'You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink."

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Lol. True description of Murderbot. I was a little disappointed in Fugitive Telemetry because it wasn’t chronologically after the last one. I was thinking it would be Murderbot’s expedition with ART.

Have you read the Ancillary Series?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yes, i was a little confused about the chronology. Still not sure when it's supposed to be happening.

What's Ancillary Series, precious?

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

What are you reading?

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote:Yes, i was a little confused about the chronology. Still not sure when it's supposed to be happening.

What's Ancillary Series, precious?
Spoiler!
I think initial days of when murderbot moves to Preservation with Dr. Mensah. The others, even in station security, don’t trust him yet. And my sense was that situation had improved by the time they left for the expedition and got nabbed by ART.
The Ancillary Series: Amazing amazing AI series by Ann Leckie. Was recommended on Prim’s goodreads. Just brilliant. Murderbot to nth level, with some similarities.

I’m SURE we’ve had this discussion before. But do you listen to me the first time? No. Sniff.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I just reserved the first Murderbot book at my library.

So I shouldn't read them in order? That's what I get from the above conversation.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I always listen to you. Most of my library queue is based on this thread.

Re Inanna's spoiler - yes, that's what I think too.

Jude, you should definitely read them in order. At least the first three.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

But not the first time.;)
And you will love the Ancillary series. Ann Leckie is great, and the Ancillary series is her best.

And Jude, I’ll second that - definitely read them in order. It’s only this last one which is hard to place chronologically, but that too only in comparison to the book immediately before that.