There is an opera based on a Tolkien story

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
aldaron

There is an opera based on a Tolkien story

Post by aldaron »

Hello everyone,

Alatar invited me to join this Hall. Some or perhaps many of you already have read about a little opera called LEITHIAN that had its premiere in a concert July 1 in NYC.

I am the composer of that opera, and I also sang Beren in the concert.

I'm just posting this message to let those yet uninformed know of the existence of this piece of music theater, and let those who know about it but want to know more that I'm open to any questions, comments, criticisms or suggestions anyone might have. If I wrote the opera for anyone it was for those who know what the Calacirya is. Just don't bother telling me you can't hear the Narrator well enough: I know. I'm sorry. A libretto is available on request.

I know Alatar mirrored some of the sound clips from the concert somewhere here, but in this message I'm posting the web address for the page where he got them:

http://www.adamcjklein.us/adamsopera.html

This is not a commercial solicitation. It's merely to satisfy the curious.

Best

Aldaron
Aurë entuluva!
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Thanks, Aldaron!

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Re: There is an opera based on a Tolkien story

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

aldaron wrote: If I wrote the opera for anyone it was for those who know what the Calacirya is.
And how to pronounce it, I presume. ;)

(I have recordings of The Tolkien Ensemble, who I enjoy very much, where two of the performers--one of them the much esteemed Christopher Lee--pronounce the second "C" like an "S" rather than a "K". :roll:)

I listened to Leithian the other evening after Alatar linked it on another thread here. I have yet to listen to it a second time, but plan to very soon while following along with the libretto that Alatar also kindly linked for us. Until then I will reserve my more detailed comments, but I will say on first impression I liked it very much.

Thanks again for sharing your work with us! :)