It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:01 am 
Meanwhile...

I'm starting this thread to talk about the MCU with my favorite people, because otherwise I will end up signing up for tumblr to argue with strangers and we don't want that. Please do your part to keep Frelga off tumblr. :geek:

This is the first post in the Last Movie thread after the last post that was not about an MCU movie.

I'm hoping Impish will find the time to share what she meant about these movies being drenched in American Values.

In the meantime - best action scene? Black Widow breaking into Hammer's whateverthatwas in IM2, closely followed by Black Widow's "interrogation" in the Avengers. My favorite, though, is the elevator fight in the Winter Soldier, despite a few moments of "are they taking a nap while he does that?" and "just how big is that elevator".

‘No. It ain’t. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they’re getting worried that they won’t like the truth. People as things, that’s where it starts.’
Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:07 pm 

Yeah, that was one kick-ass scene where Natasha demolishes her interrogators!

I also liked the scene in Winter Soldier where Cap rescues Black Widow from a grenade explosion, after he finds her downloading classified files from the ship's computer:

As they are arguing about 'should she be doing this without letting Cap, the team leader, know', Cap sees a grenade land on the floor of the room. He grabs Black Widow and uses his shield to crash through a window to get them both out of harm's way:

B.W., lying on the deck of the ship, with Cap more or less on top of her: "Sorry, that one's on me..."

Cap [angrily]: "Damn right it is!"

Oh, BTW, look for previous Marvel Universe discussions HERE: http://thehalloffire.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3558

They are scattered throughout the thread, so the 'search' function will likely be necessary!

Footnote: Space Channel is re-running "Civil War" on Sunday! Very much looking forward to seeing it again!! :banana:

Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:41 pm 
not something I would recommend

When you ask for best action scene, my first thought is that Black Widow IM2 fight. She just looks so flippin' cool, plus the contrast with Happy is hilarious. It's unfortunate that might be my top pick though because it's in my least favorite MCU movie.

Winter Soldier in general has several excellent action scenes, including the kick-ass elevator scene. But I think I might pick the scene where Fury gets ambushed in his car. I love how oh-crap! tense it is, plus I love how it portrays Nick as a guy who is always prepared for the worst. He may not be a superdude, but don't mess with Nick Fury!

For pure emotion though, it's hands down Cap and Stark fighting at the end of Civil War. I know it doesn't work for some people but the way that dramatic arc builds to that confrontation is to me the best thing in all the MCU.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:13 pm 
Meanwhile...

Yeah, the Fury chase is one of the better car chases I can think of. Plus, the entry of the Winter Soldier is the coolest introduction of the antagonist.

The Winter Soldier was on last night, and I'll watch that movie every time.

BTW, someone pointed out that when the first cop car pulls up by Fury's SUV, this super paranoid and powerful spy is not thinking assassination attempt, he's thinking the cop is going to hassle a Black driver.

Sunny, the entire relationship between Cap and Natasha is wonderfully developed through the movies. I love the scene with the grenade - one moment he's chewing her out, the next, she leaps into his arms already firing.

‘No. It ain’t. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they’re getting worried that they won’t like the truth. People as things, that’s where it starts.’

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:56 pm 
of Vinyamar

One little niggle in the Ant Man and Wasp movie. While I know its skewed much more to the comedy than realism, I hate that they don't allow for the fact that a matchbox sized car won't travel at the same speed as a full size one. Looks great though. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:14 pm 

Alatar wrote:
One little niggle in the Ant Man and Wasp movie. While I know its skewed much more to the comedy than realism, I hate that they don't allow for the fact that a matchbox sized car won't travel at the same speed as a full size one. Looks great though. ;)

Of the bajillion rules of physics that movie completely ignores, that's the one that bothers you?

Wasp was a entertaining and pleasant enough but in terms of the sheer volume of "wait, that doesn't make any sense..." moments, it's easily the dumbest movie in all the MCU. (I also think the whole "we can literally control ants for some reason" thing is just really lame. :roll: )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:26 pm 
of Vinyamar

Yep! I'm happy with the rest. Like I said, I'm the sort of person who really wants to enjoy movies, so I'm willing to cut a lot of slack. Apart from everything else, I grew up when superheros were a bodybuilder in green paint and a campy guy in tights. Complaining about the quality of the MCU is like complaining your chocolate has too much cocoa beans in it. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:29 pm 
Meanwhile...

I think the ability to tolerate comic book science is a prerequisite to enjoying comic book movies. Otherwise you'll start asking where Hulk gets the extra mass and how vibranium works, exactly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:19 pm 

Alatar wrote:
Yep! I'm happy with the rest. Like I said, I'm the sort of person who really wants to enjoy movies, so I'm willing to cut a lot of slack. Apart from everything else, I grew up when superheros were a bodybuilder in green paint and a campy guy in tights. Complaining about the quality of the MCU is like complaining your chocolate has too much cocoa beans in it. :)

Sure, I'm just wondering why fast-tiny-cars would stand out to you among all the other physics-breaking in that movie.

Frelga wrote:
I think the ability to tolerate comic book science is a prerequisite to enjoying comic book movies. Otherwise you'll start asking where Hulk gets the extra mass and how vibranium works, exactly.

For me it's not so much about it making "sense". But with any story with fantastical elements, I want there to be at least somewhat consistent rules. If you go too far into "this story has unrealistic elements, therefore anything goes" territory, the story suffers. Like, you have to tell me what a superhero can and can't do, and then stick to that. If you don't and it starts to feel like the hero can do whatever the story happens to need them to do at that moment, it's gonna feel pretty cheap and lame. I felt that vibranium definitely suffered from that "it does whatever we need" syndrome. Tony's suit and it's extremely poorly defined set of seemingly random powers do too, IMO. Not that that kind of stuff will ruin everything, but the stories would be better if they tried a little harder for some clearer rules and better consistency.

Last edited by yovargas on Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:33 pm 

I must admit I DO have a hard time with the seemingly magical abilities of Cap's vibranium shield. Like its ability to cushion his fall when he jumps from the elevator in Winter Soldier. Also during the gun fight with the Winter Soldier, he's using the shield to protect himself from machine gun fire from several guns. Amazing how the shield seems to protect his WHOLE BODY, in spite of it not being large enough to cover him completely! :roll:

But yeah, it's a movie, a comic book movie...

Hey, remember how entertained we were by cartoons as kids, where the hero is standing on the villain's foot, and punches him, and the villain's entire body stretches to totally unrealistic proportions? I remember a Popeye cartoon where he has a dog that's searching for something by scent, and the dog's nose actually detaches itself and goes off on its own!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:15 am 
of Vinyamar

yovargas wrote:
I'm just wondering why fast-tiny-cars would stand out to you among all the other physics-breaking in that movie.

Cause that one doesn't follow their own internal Physics constraints. The enlarging Salt Cellar and Pez dispenser continue with their momentum scaled. Everything else follows the same rule, except the cars. Their speed doesn't scale with their size like everything else does.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:11 pm 

What about those flying ants? Chasing vehicles and whatnot. Those things really bug me. (Pun very much intended.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:29 pm 
Nibonto Aagun

https://youtu.be/BlNoCDp8oPM

https://youtu.be/EC2HtSpf9qk

https://youtu.be/GMWkt7nrYJE

I love these. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:01 pm 

That guy is good at that. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:39 pm 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

So, I just saw the captain America in the elevator scene. My reaction: meh. I guess that’s why I don’t see many of these even though I enjoy the basic story, the sense of humor (Deadpool!) and the sci-fi quirks. The action scene after action scene is just not my thing.

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude (as Merry)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:12 am 
Meanwhile...

JUST the elevator scene?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:14 am 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

That’s what you linked to above, no?

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude (as Merry)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:17 am 
Meanwhile...

Oh, right. :D I was about to post how The First Avenger works better if you are already invested in the character when I realized that I missed an important clause in your post. :blackeye:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:44 am 

Haven't you got that backwards, Frelga? The other Captain America and Avengers movies work better if you've become invested in the character by watching Captain America: The First Avenger.

Because then you understand the irony of that scene with Cap and Agent Hill, when she talks about the Twins volunteering for Strucker's experiments...

And you understand his character SO much better!

Quote:
Dr. Abraham Erskine: Schmidt [Red Skull] must become that superior man.
Steve Rogers: Did it make him stronger?
Dr. Abraham Erskine: Yeah. But, there were other effects. The serum was not ready. But more important, the man. The serum amplifies everything that is inside. So, good becomes great. Bad becomes worse. This is why you were chosen. Because a strong man, who has known power all his life, will lose respect for that power. But a weak man knows the value of strength, and knows compassion.
Steve Rogers: Thanks. I think.
Dr. Abraham Erskine: [he pours 2 drinks] Whatever happens tomorrow, you must promise me one thing. That you will stay who you are. Not a perfect soldier, but a good man.
[Steve holds up his glass to toast]
Steve Rogers: To the little guys.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:04 pm 

Okay, watched Civil War on Sunday, and will watch it again and comment. Have been anxious to see what Space has planned for NEXT Sunday, so I fast forwarded through the TV listings to see.

BLEARGH! They are re-running the Sharknado movies. All SIX of the. And multiple times too, throughout the week! [HEAD:DESK]

Well, at least the titles of the movies show they don't take themselves seriously:

Sharknado
Sharknado: The Second One
Sharknado 3: Oh Hell NO!
Sharknado 4: The 4th Awakens :roll:
Sharknado 5: Global Swarming
Sharknado 6: The Last One (It's About Time)

Despite the cutesy titles, I have NO intention of watching them. I caught a few minutes of one of them when I fell asleep watching something else, and was too drowsy to change channels when I woke up; and um, NO THANKS!

[sigh] Couldn't they screen one of the Marvel movies I HAVEN'T seen? Too much to ask? Was Ragnarok REALLY that bad? :(