It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:36 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:29 pm 

:rofl:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:24 am 

I’m still plugging through Bolívar, and I’m becoming fascinated by the entire thing at a meta level. I’ve never quite seen anything like this and I’m at a complete loss as to who the target audience is meant to be. I’m now twelve episodes in. Bolívar is nineteen, and the whole courtship of his wife took hours and was so sentimentalised it seemed to be pitched to the same sort of people who read Mills and Boon novels. Do these people also watch sixty hour-long historical dramas centred on politics and revolution? Then there’s the meandering sub-plots around the minor characters, who tend to be ciphers like ‘the crazy one’ or ‘the corrupt one’. It’s very soap-opera-ish and is a bit like watching Neighbours in period dress with the occasional execution.

I found the trailer on Youtube, which catches the heavy melodrama but can’t quite give the true sense of grandeur of a biopic that’s literally twenty times longer than a long movie:

(random observation – as you can see in the trailer the subtitles translate criollo as ‘creole’. I thought a criollo was a Latin American of Spanish ancestry – which would fit Bolívar – whereas in English ‘creole’ refers to a mixed-race person)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:37 pm 
Meanwhile...

This was probably meant to watch one episode a week so the saga would unfold over more than a year.

Just like the bulky novels of Dickens or Dumas were written to be published in installments. As someone said, we are now binging the classics.

“I am not so blind that I can't see darkness.”
Dangerous Beans
Terry Pratchett, The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:16 pm 
Hobbit

Last night, my husband was wanting to watch a movie. This doesn't happen often, and he was flicking through the HBO selection. He stopped on that movie with Dwayne Johnson and the giant ape and asked me if I wanted that one. I said I'd rather watch Bohemian Rhapsody than that (it was in sight a few spaces further). He was startled because I almost never watch anything but sci fi or fantasy.

"Are you a Queen fan?" he asked in confusion.
"Not particularly," I said "but I'm vaguely interested in how they did the vocals and lip syncing and if the sound matches the original. That can't be easy with a voice of the range of their lead singer."

We agreed to start the movie and quit watching if it got tiresome. Since my husband has been bingeing youtube vids for months now, I figured his attention span has been shortened and we'd only get through half an hour or so.

We watched the whole thing in one sitting- with no bathroom breaks! :shock:

So, yeah. It was a pretty impressive story. Afterwards, my husband dug up this youtube he'd seen: a comparison of the movie depiction of the Live Aid concert and the tapes of the actual band during the same concert.

What struck me most watching the two simultaneously was how differently the two men strike me. The actor seems kind of creepy. The singer was absolutely magnificent. I guess there is a significant difference between real charisma and acting charismatic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:31 pm 

I agree. I enjoyed the film but (as an old Queen fan) I found the actor not creepy.. maybe distracting (?) Ain't no one like Freddie. It's a bit much for anyone to fill those skinny jeans. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79