Lasto beth Lammen - Is your religion nuts?

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

But...but...I missed it! :bawling:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I know, and it was sort of related to something you said. But it was pretty juvenile. :(
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Something about a blue dress? :scratch:
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:whistle:

Well, it was an unintentionally (?) funny juxtaposition of sentences, SirDennis.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Lalaith.. I got it.. I thought it was funny (very funny) but, as I do not know this company well.. I refrained from commenting so as to not offend, as I was given a proverbial finger shaking earlier today. :oops:
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Lalaith wrote::whistle:

Well, it was an unintentionally (?) funny juxtaposition of sentences, SirDennis.
Oh. My.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I was actually trying very hard to get my point across without ending up in the bad place. Totally missed that.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Ah yes, misfires and pops up and such... After reading that I thought "hmmm that's all kind of loaded." But then I left it, just as I left the sentence just before this one. I was already apologizing in that post anyway. ;)

At least I think that's what you were angling at. :help:

I kind of like when that happens. Apart from grumpiness coming through my writing, I haven't seen my love in over a month. Odds on what Freud would say?

edit: punctuation error, go figure.
Last edited by SirDennis on Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

SirDennis wrote: I haven't seen my love in over a month. Odds on what Freud would say?
ahahahaha..

I'm sorry.. I'm not laughing at you being separated from your love.. it just makes the little 'misfires and pops & such' in this conversation all the more humorous. I can well guess what Freud would say. ;)
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

He would say, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" and that is the most sensible thing that man ever said.
Dig deeper.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

So you won't be seeing Fassbender and Mortensen in Cronenberg's A Dangerous Method then? :D
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I had not heard of that film.. but it looks intriguing! I'll have to see if it is playing here.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I am immature, and I missed the joke. :(
:blackeye:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

SirDennis wrote:So you won't be seeing Fassbender and Mortensen in Cronenberg's A Dangerous Method then? :D
Not a chance. The thing is, I'm just as much not a Viggo Mortenson fan as I'm not a Freud fan.

I truly believe that Freud did more harm than good. Much, much, much, much, much more harm than good.

Of course, I'm speaking as a woman.

Men might think differently. :D
Dig deeper.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

I truly believe that Freud did more harm than good. Much, much, much, much, much more harm than good.

Oh we could probably agree on that. :D

Beyond all the phallic symbolism stuff (which was useful in art and getting some jokes) I never really paid much attention. I Failed psych 101 twice, that is how disinterested in any of it I was.

I'm more interested in the Althussers and Judith Butlers of the world. Still, Freud's ideas about dreams did inspire that great bit of film Hitchock and Dali came up with in Spellbound (1945) -- Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman weren't too hard on the eyes either.

I suppose it would be useful to know about, just to have a cultural reference, given the topic at hand. :P

Frelga, Lali isn't talking but the truth is there if you look for it. ;)
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Frelga wrote:I am immature, and I missed the joke. :(
:blackeye:
Step into the gutter a wee bit and re-read the last couple of pages.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Wait, mature? <looks around nervously> I agree with, like, holding it as an ideal . . . but if we have to achieve it 100% of the time, I'm hiding under the couch.

Plus there's all the missed jokes. :(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

SirDennis wrote: Which brings me now to Al. What offends you Al? Would it offend you if I said that sometimes your behaviour comes across as trollish? Of course if a good discussion results, who am I to complain? ;)

It occurs to me just now that I should say I am not a morning person (especially when I don't get a good night's sleep). This does not excuse what may be perceived to be rude behaviour on may part. But I assure you that no offence is intended, to Al, or anyone. Nor do I believe everyone should look at the world the same way I do. In fact it would probably be easier if you didn't. :)
Nope, I don't find that offensive. I also don't find it particularly surprising. I rarely feel the need to join a discussion where everyone is agreeing, and I am in agreement with them. The only interesting discourse is one that challenges preconceptions and at least allows the possibility of either changing someone else's mind, having your own mind changed, or at the very least learning something new. As such my posts sometimes have the effect of "setting the cat amongst the pigeons". Not because I want to provoke fights, but because I'm only interested if there's variety in the discussion.

Also, sometimes I see something interesting and want to ask about it. Rather than post in a new thread, I prefer to find a related thread and drop it in to see what ripples it makes and how the two subjects (or more) affect each other. Thing is, its easy to find out facts on the Internet, but its very hard to find out what people think.

Incidentally, that Mary and Joseph Billboard was from 2009. This years one is a caption contest on their website. Is this better/worse? Or are the Church just trolling for attention ;)

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/artic ... ocker?bn=1
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

You know, I think this church is trying to shock...and by shocking, to get people talking and thinking. Which is what I said in the first place.

And it's working. People sometimes become complacent about their beliefs. They don't question, they aren't challenged. This kind of picture is deliberately provocative. People WILL talk.

Look at this thread. We had an excellent discussion, all because of that silly billboard.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, yes, but I don't think anyone in that discussion was an ardently believing Catholic for whom Mary's virginity is a vital part of faith. It's easy for me to discuss it calmly.

The fact that the billboard was defaced almost immediately indicates that contemplation was not what it achieved.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Alatar wrote:
SirDennis wrote: Which brings me now to Al. What offends you Al? Would it offend you if I said that sometimes your behaviour comes across as trollish? Of course if a good discussion results, who am I to complain? ;)
Nope, I don't find that offensive. I also don't find it particularly surprising. I rarely feel the need to join a discussion where everyone is agreeing, and I am in agreement with them. The only interesting discourse is one that challenges preconceptions and at least allows the possibility of either changing someone else's mind, having your own mind changed, or at the very least learning something new. As such my posts sometimes have the effect of "setting the cat amongst the pigeons". Not because I want to provoke fights, but because I'm only interested if there's variety in the discussion.

Also, sometimes I see something interesting and want to ask about it. Rather than post in a new thread, I prefer to find a related thread and drop it in to see what ripples it makes and how the two subjects (or more) affect each other. Thing is, its easy to find out facts on the Internet, but its very hard to find out what people think.
Well played. :P Of course I mean: Well said.

Just a reminder though, you started this entire thread. :D
Incidentally, that Mary and Joseph Billboard was from 2009. This years one is a caption contest on their website. Is this better/worse? Or are the Church just trolling for attention ;)

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/artic ... ocker?bn=1
This one is less offensive to me on the surface, not least because it presents a part of the story without contradicting it entirely. And, if it is set up as a caption contest, then the request for feedback is implicit in its design, unlike a billboard. It does throw open the doors wide for trolls [who need love too], though I am not sure it is, in and of itself, trolling.

I agree with JewelSong's assessment, though part of me wonders what exactly this congregation has against the Catholic Church. In other contexts the campaign could easily be perceived as hate crime.

Edit: Frelga and I must be on some kind of time lapse or passing mid phase dimension jumping or something. I agree wholeheartedly with Frelga's interpretation in light of the defacing.
Last edited by SirDennis on Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.