Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

Thanks Prim. Nice to be back, very, very nice. Well, here are some more pictures of spring where I live:

Aspens in Spring Greens

Go Rest High on that Mountain

Hiking through Aspens and Oaks

Aspens and Pines

Cross the Creek

If you look at the ones I posted last year or of those I post in the fall you'll see some of the same images in different seasons and different years. We had a very wet year and very wet spring which tradition tells me should me a very bright and colorful fall. Enjoy, I did taking them.

Edit: Something I just realized taking these. I take other pictures in even more beautiful country around where I live (within 30 to 60 minutes of driving) yet I always come back to this little canyon. So I decided why? I've stated it before, it holds many links to me of places in LOTR. Also, and probably more importantly it is easy to do. Just change into the jeans and boots and work, stop on the drive home, pull out the day pack and a couple of hours later, head home. Easy and quick trip into nature. Do you have any quick and easy places in nature that you go that are nearby?
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I do. The old growth Redwood Forest at Henry Cowell State Park is less than five miles from here. The old trees never fail to restore a sense of perspective in me.

Beautiful pics, AJ!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Those are beautiful, AJ!

I do have some easy nature places. On a small scale, I can drive 5 minutes down the road to a park. If I want things a little wilder, I drive 30 minutes to either John Bryan State Park, Glen Helen, or Clifton Gorge. About 15 minutes gets me to Caesar Creek State Park. My favorite of all of those is Clifton Gorge because it reminds me of Lothlórien. :love:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

A crowded Oregon beach:

And some woods Tolkien would probably have approved of:

And, the view from the balcony of the condo. I have seen it in all seasons and weathers for more than fifteen years and can never imagine getting tired of it.

There my heart dwells.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Wonderful photos, AJ

I live less than a 30 minute walk from this beach:

and a 10 minute drive from Cissbury Ring iron-age fort, on the South Downs:

or 15 mins from Chanctonbury Ring:

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Stunning pics, Elen. :love:

Here are two photos I took on my holiday in North Wales at the end of May.

The view of the valley from our cottage:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39346072@N ... 510712973/

Green hill in the early morning sunlight:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39346072@N ... 510712973/
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

<is jealous>
Voronwë the Faithful

Beautiful pics, all.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Gorgeous, Di - I love the Welsh countryside - lots of happy holiday memories :love:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

What incredible pics, everyone. :)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Baby bunnies in my backyard! :wooper:

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

:love: awwww, so cute. When my youngest son wakes up I will show him - he adores rabbits and collects cuddly ones...he was born in the Chinese Year of the Rabbit, too!
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I've always loved rabbits, too. These guys are insanely cute, and they are making sweet, little squeaking noises. :love: It's hard to judge how small they are in that picture, but they are tiny--about the size of a small mouse (less than 10cm/4in).
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Some more of Rebecca's photo goodness...

Voronwë the Faithful

Very nice, Holbecca.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Is that what we have to call them now? ;)

From the beach:

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Very nice! Did you do anything to the colors in the last pic?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

In all of them I used "Auto Contrast" in Picasa
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

The colors are just so vivid. :)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Lali, auto-contrast "corrects for exposure without modifying colors", but in some cases, like the third pic up there, I've found that colors become quite vivid.

Niagara: