There and Back Again Anticipation thread [SPOILERS]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

And according to Richard Armitage last night, TABA will be shorter than the other films...

Red Carpet News TV
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

That's probably a good sign!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Quite!

Meanwhile, TORn has a rather nice interview with Luke Evans who plays Bard:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/04 ... ering-net/
GD: ...So, obviously there are things that you can’t give away, but is there anything you can tell us that you’re particularly looking forward to people seeing in The Hobbit: There and Back Again, when it comes out at the end of the year?

LE: Well - that black arrow…? [dramatic pause] It plays a big role in my story. [laughs] For anyone who hasn’t read the book! Not spoiling it for anyone, but that black arrow – VERY important.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Whatever the flaws of DOS, Evans was inspired casting. I was skeptical at first, but he ends up being one of the most likeable and believable characters across all five films.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Whatever the flaws of DOS, Evans was inspired casting. I was skeptical at first, but he ends up being one of the most likeable and believable characters across all five films.
Yes, I quite like him as Bard. He brings a certain gravity -- which is essential to pulling off Bard, obviously -- not just to the role, but to the entire enterprise; the film is simply better for his being in it, imho.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I dunno, I never warmed up to him. The whole Laketown sequence was a mess and a half.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I thought Evans was excellent and Bard's expansion worked well...I wouldn't say the Lake-Town sequence descended into a mess until the Orcs and Elves arrived!

ETA: Talking of Lake-Town...here's a VFX Special feature from Weta Digital
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Whether the Laketown sequences worked or not, Evans made them better than they would have otherwise been, IMO. The wrong actor in that role, and it would have been a real drag.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Elentári wrote:And according to Richard Armitage last night, TABA will be shorter than the other films...

Red Carpet News TV
I think there's no reason to excited hyped up about this. How would he know, where PJ would decide to cut?
Besides, he pretty much confirmed last year that Smaug would be quadruped.

And I agree with everyone about Bard. Along with Smaug and Bilbo, he was the third best thing about the film. And also possibly one of my favorite "men" from ME films. And Bard remains the only character from the books which I always get bored with.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Ooooh...Oleander Took over on TORn has spotted a possible spoiler about Billy Connolly's Dain from the DVD extras...

This interview with a make-up artist shows her working with a prosthetic labelled "Billy C" and there is a picture of said actor on the wall behind her. Interestingly it looks like they are going to make Dain appear younger than Billy himself, giving him red hair!

~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Good find!

Seems very strange to choose Connolly, and make him younger...

PJ is far too liberal in his use of prosthetics. IMO, had the actors playing the dwarves been kept primarily natural (with minor prosthetics ala Gandalf, Bilbo and Thorin) critics would have had a much easier time of taking these films seriously. As it stands, they look pretty farcical.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Of course, there's always the chance this might be for a younger Dain in a flashback sequence... :unsure:
~Diana Cortes
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I just had a rather horrific (well, horrific in the context of movie adaptation, which is not exactly important in the bug scheme of things) suspicion. PJ has built up the importance of the Arkenstone as the focus of dwarfish allegiance. Bilbo has the stone. Is he going to use it to make himself a temporary dwarf Commander to bring the dwarves to Thorin's aid?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Since the presence of the talking Thrush is very unlikely, I do not think it would be Thorin in any case who would call the dwarves to his aid.
But then I also just can't see Bilbo given that big a role in the movie. :P

The best option I sense would be Dain coming to the rescue after hearing from spies/scouts about the massing of an army from Dol Guldur.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I think "the bug scheme of things" needs to be immortalized in our anthology of HoF sayings. 8)

"Be sure to tune in Sunday at 8PM, where entomologist-cum-Tolkien Scholar Nathaniel Esmeraldasson will present his presentable presentation on "The Link Between Shelob and the Mirkwood Spiders in the Bug Scheme of Things".
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Jude wrote:I think "the bug scheme of things" needs to be immortalized in our anthology of HoF sayings. 8)

"Be sure to tune in Sunday at 8PM, where entomologist-cum-Tolkien Scholar Nathaniel Esmeraldasson will present his presentable presentation on "The Link Between Shelob and the Mirkwood Spiders in the Bug Scheme of Things".
LOL! Well, the bug scheme of things contains some pretty horrific specimens.

I actually saw the typo as I was about to post, but decided to leave it for amusement value.

Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

And I thought it was an intentional pun .... -_-
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Billy Connolly confirms that he will be doing pickups for TABA:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/fi ... space-suit
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Pickups...Also known as "when PJ adds a bunch of horrible stuff because he has the budget for it." :)
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Which is why I fear TABA a lot. PJ will be having more than a year to work on it's post production.