Child-Safety Experts Call For Restrictions On Childhood Imag

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I know which posts were removed, Maria, and they weren't yours. If you did have posts removed, I believe it was unintentionally.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Maria, I checked, and one of your posts was inadvertently removed. I've just restored it to the thread. Sorry about that.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Thanks! I honestly couldn't remember what I'd said, and it was worrying me! I can see how you could think that was part of the section that got snipped, though. :rofl: All I could remember was that I'd answered the question Ax had posed in the first post while studiously ignoring the off topic stuff, and didn't realize my post could be taken as responding to the off topic bits!

Dang! What was the off topic stuff that got edited? Maybe my memory really is non-local.... :help:

Or maybe I was so upset at my daughter yesterday that I wasn't tracking well on anything...

HER imagination got her into trouble at school.... Must discourage this independant thinking stuff! ;)
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I started reading a book about memory yesterday, and it's really interesting how the brain works!

Short term memory is like RAM and is located in your hippocampus- where all the junk is sorted out and ONLY the important stuff is selected for long term storage in the cortex.

Apparently, I've learned that I don't need to store my posts in my cortex, just the vague fact that I *posted*, because I can always go back and re-read the post later! SO, when I thought back to that post I'd read- I literally couldn't remember it's content because I'd depended on being able to find it online.

It wasn't a memory glitch on my part. It's the natural way the brain functions. We'd go mad or run out of storage space if we remembered every detail of every day. Only the important, pertinent stuff is kept in long term storage. The working notes of the day are dumped.

I had no idea the brain worked that way. I thought somehow that everything was recorded in memory and that if we simply tried hard enough, we could recall any detail of any day. I've never put that to the test before, but it was something I read somewhere/ somewhen.

This is an incredible relief. As I get older, I was starting to worry more and more about the minor memory failures that happen- but those are completely natural. Especially with stuff that doesn't seem particularly applicable at the time. If I didn't think it was important- it never got moved to long term storage... and I bet that I am getting more picky about what is important, the older I get!

This has made my day. Week! Decade! :D Thanks for deleting my post and forcing the issue! :)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's really interesting, Maria. It might be worth a thread all to itself.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Well, that's really all I had to say about it :blackeye: ... This is the book : The Memory Cure by Majid Fotuhi.