Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Oooh, Voronwë that is gorgeous!!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - HDT
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Sticking around in southern Utah, here is the "Capital Reef"

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Such a cool rock formation. :)

This is a view of Mount Elbert, the tallest mountain in Colorado at around 14,500 feet above sea level. I climbed it once last summer, and once the summer before that. It's a beautiful hike, and although it's one of the easiest fourteeners in Colorado I still found it very difficult, as I don't do a lot of hiking. But it was a wonderful experience both times!!

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - HDT
Voronwë the Faithful

Beautiful, Elsha. I'm sure that was quite a trek. :shock:

Here is a Joshua Tree.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

I'm afraid there's been entirely too much of rocks and desert places and things where a hobbit can't feel comfy, so here's a piece of the Shire, to relax! :D

Landscape view from Kenilworth Castle, Warwickshire, taken October 2004

but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Aw, thanks for that gentle respite, Hobby. :love:

Now, it's up to the heights again! :horse:

I posted an architectural pic from Japan in TIGG's thread, so here's a nature pic from Japan to balance it.......

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Is it very bad of me that I swoon much more for the red of the leaves than for the mountain itself? :D

Though the combination of all, leaves, mountain, sky makes the whole pic wonderful! :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
TIGG
ta'veren'

Post by TIGG »

The balance and contrast of color is perfect!

:love:
da TIGG is back and bouncin'
Face Book ID Kathy Roper ( New Zealand)
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oooh, pretty pics! Can I join in the fun? (Yeah, I'm not waiting for answer, so that would be a rhetorical question. ;) )

Here's one I took at Hocking Hills State Park, here in Ohio (USA). It was very cold that day, about 30F, but this place was absolutely beautiful--very Elven. :D (Sorry, hobby, but us Elves want to feel at home, too. ;) ) This bit reminded me of something in Rivendell.

(If this stretches the page too much, I'll come back and edit it.)

Lali
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Ath - my goodness! The color contrast is incredible...the fiery vibrancy of the leaves contrasted with the calm serenity of the mountain...

Wow. I had to take that for my desktop (but I'll remove it if you prefer I don't use it). Unfortunately, I have a high-enough resolution monitor that it's slightly blurry if I try to make it full-screen. Is there any chance you have a higher-res version?

Lali, that feels intensely Elven, and I keep feeling drawn to it. Thank you for sharing it.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Lali, I love the effect that your picture has where it's darker around the edges...and then gets brighter and brighter towards the middle point. I'm not sure whether or not it was intentional, but it just gives a wonderful tunnel-like feel to the picture. :)
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Lali, I love the way the man-made structures in your picture blend so seamlessly with the natural flow of stream and rock and wood. Very Elvish, indeed. :love:

TP: here's a link to the site where I nabbed that pic. It might give you a better resolution.

http://www.afsrus.com/contry2/jpn/pages/_ja18.htm

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Voronwë the Faithful

Thank you. :)
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Thanks, guys! :) I don't normally like nature pictures with man-made structures in them, but this one reminded me of Rivendell so much I didn't mind. I actually think it adds to the scene. :love:

Too soon for another one? :D

(Yet another rhetorical question.... ;) )

I also took this one in Hocking Hills State Park. This one looked very Entish to me:

Lali
Voronwë the Faithful

Following up on the picture I posted in the architecture thread, here is Lac de Gruyère, one of the beautiful places that I went on a bike tour of France and Switzerland back in my young and healthy days.

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Oh, dear, Voronwë. . . . . there seem to be . . . . chemtrails ( :twisted: ) in that photo . . . . .

Seriously, it is very lovely. All these photos are lovely.
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful

:rofl:
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

Lali ... you take the most beautiful photographs ... you really do have a good eye for composition.

I love this last Entish one and the Elven one. Lovely!

vison ... chemtrails, indeed :rofl:

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

Here I come at last with some photos!
Starting with one I took in the Puszcza Augustowska...lovely huge forest in Mazuria, the northeast of Poland. I had just dropped off my sister and her friend at summer camp. Her father and I were driving back but he wasn't eager to catch the five-o-clock traffic jams in Warsaw, so we stopped for any silly old thing. Such as the fallen birch, and then later a bunch of old shelters left over from the war (not for this thread, though)...and a boat in the middle of a field. Don't ask, I have no idea.

Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Nice pic, Rodia! Sometimes "fallen trees" have more character than their upright kin, I think! It makes you view their form from a different angle, and appreciate the subtleties that you take for granted when it's "just another tree".

Here's a picture of Cannon Beach, on the Oregon Coast.......'cause Prim loves that wild and beautiful coastline, and I'm thinking of her tonight. :love:

Jalal ad-Din Rumi