TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

I'm still watching Lost, too :)

Oh hey, it is on tonight! :D

Sadly, that channel is the one channel that just doesn't want to come in properly on our cable :x so we spend the episode taking turns to jump up and furiously fiddle with the cable in the hopes that that would actually HELP :P

I'm deciding if I'm losing patience with Lost or not. I don't think so, I want to see how they're going to handle this season, first. I don't like the big development of Jack et all getting captured that much.

Prim - I also get the feeling the story is evolving as the writers go on. I have my pet theory about it, same as everybody else. I'm going to be miffed if my pet theory isn't the explanation! :P

Lost is the only TV series I'm currently watching ( along with one on DVD ). That is as much TV as I can handle - I don't like watching TV all that much!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Yes, life is too short for a lot of TV, but Mr. Prim comes home fried from his high-tension job and I can rarely interest him in anything much more elevated (he usually won't even watch TV or movie dramas—he says he gets enough drama at work). So we geek out with Alton Brown in "Good Eats" or we enjoy "Divine Design" or we sneer at the false values of the rich in "Designer's Challenge" (recently: thirty thousand dollars to renovate a bathroom) or we marvel at the housing prices on "House Hunters" and advise the hunters to pick a different house than the one they obviously picked before the show was even filmed.

It works, because he can sleep.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Prim, there IS another way to calm a gent down and help him sleep, but I guess since you're "too ladylike" to get the crumpet reference (as if) there isn't much hope on this one, either. =:)

Just sayin'. :D

My particular husband, that is my first one (to whom I'm still married), he likes the TV sports. Especially car racing, so it seems to me the same car race is on all the time. Well, the same two: stock cars or F1. *yawn* Either: roar, roar Or: zoom, zoom, depending on the type o' car. And . . . . Shumacher wins!!!! Quel surprise.

Bike racing, as in Tour de France, since he was once a very highly ranked bike racer himself. Thank heaven it's only on once in a year.

Car rallies, as in the Dakar Rally. *yawn* O, watch the cars bog down in the sand!!! O, would you look at that motorbike bog down in the sand!!!! O, say, can you see those adorable village children watching the crazy white men drive expensive cars that get bogged down in the sand!!!!

Um. Boxing. Well, I confess I do like a good boxing match although I think boxing should be abolished. :oops:

Football, as in "soccer". This I enjoy. To a point. ;)

Poker. Poker? Jeez. Why not chess? Why not skittles? Why not backgammon? Double jeez. :x

And then, there's always CSI. :P
Dig deeper.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

*reads this while listening to Simpsons Season 6 DVD commentary*
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

vison, I haven't the least idea to what you may be referring.

:twisted:

Is it a particularly good commentary, yov?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

How can a Griffon who has been watching Lost for less than a month lose patience with it so soon? ;)

I think it's still great.

I was annoyed to see that Jack's girlfriend from 24 has been cheating on him by being on some other show. Grrr ... I know who's going to die early next season on 24! :P
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Faramond wrote:How can a Griffon who has been watching Lost for less than a month lose patience with it so soon? ;)
I'm spoiled. I'm getting too used to zipping through an entire season's worth of episodes on DVD.

TV struggles to hold my attention. It really does.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Currently attempting to keep up with:

Deadwood
Extras
Grey's Anatomy
Lost
Galactica

And trying to find time for:

West Wing (Seasons 3-6)
Sopranos (Season 6)
Desperate Housewives Season 3
Heroes

And God knows how much else.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Hello, thanks everyone for being happy to see me. Right now where I am currently staying TV is the only thing I have, so I watch far too much television currently. That last list were my guilty pleasures (up 'til 4:00am watching the Crisss Angel rerun).

Another guilty pleasure of mine is basically anything on Animal Planet. I love that channel.

Now the stuff I usually watch now that the new TV season has started is Battlestar Galactica, House, Lost, Doctor Who, Grey's Anatomy, Criminal Minds, Bones and The 4400. I also watch The Young and the Restless and Coronation Street from time to time. EDIT: I forgot to include Desperate Housewives.

Yep lots of TV. Only way to ease my loneliness.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:hug:

I know it's not the same, but you can always come and talk to us, too! We miss you. And when I've felt isolated, I've found it does help.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I am stuck most of the time at my Dad's house and he does not have a computer :(
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:hug:

Come when you can, Wilma. We care.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That's rough! :(

However long you have to be away, though, or however long it's been since you last came here, remember that we are always, always glad to see you.

:grouphug:
Angbasdil
The man, the myth, the monkey.

Post by Angbasdil »

Save the cheerleader.
Save the world.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:D I love that show! But I cracked up laughing when they first said "Save the cheerleader. Save the world." There's such a bizarre cheesiness to that.
The_Hutter

Yes it true

Post by The_Hutter »

America and the rest of the world is gaining weigh because they well just dont excerise, america is trying to cut Gym because the music dont want to get ride of it.
Dont get ride of Gym it needed, to help control obession, dont get ret of music it needed for the heart and the soul
find the money to keep them both
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:scratch:
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I think The_Hutter may have confused the word "obsession" with the word "obesity" and thus his post.

However, it is true that if one is obsessed with TV to the point that one sits on one's behind in front of it all day, one will, in fact, become obese.

:D
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

I found a new TV obsession last night on CBC, Dragon's Den.

It's an enterprenuerial show. The contestants have to "sell" their ideas, products, inventions to five Dragons (investors). I really like this concept of the show since Princess and I would like to start our own business someday and trying to learn what ideas are already out there and what the investors are looking for and how to negotiate with them is good for us.

Last night, I watched a 77 year old man pitched in his invention, a ride to be used in a swimming pool. I just loved it as well, it's just that I agree with one of the dragons that I would actually buy the patent from him and give him royalty instead. The old man was a good negotiator though, he doesn't want to give up his patent and I respect and admire him for that cause he sold 300 already. Another guy pitched in his chocolate truffles business in which one of the Dragons who owned Boston Pizza offered him a 50/50 deal. Thank god, he accepted it cause the food industry is very difficult to get into, you either make it or break it in your first 2 years. I think the guy can Boston Pizza can market his small business better than he can. If I were one of the dragons, the food industry doesn't appeal to me right now unless it's something that nobody came up with yet.
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
PrinceAlarming
Interferes With Natural Selection

Post by PrinceAlarming »

TV is like a marvelous drug...

Taken in the right doses it can promote euphoria, but ODing on it turns you into a zombie.

And as cool as zombies are... nah, not for me.

I have cable... Because I might as well spend $30 extra bucks a month and bundle everything. TLC, Discovery, History... (sinfully, Fox) Mmmm.

I prefer film to TV. Don't worry, I say 'film' like some fine, well educated critic... But I think I have Starship Troopers.

I love Firefly. :woohoo: