2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Katie Porter is the bee's knees.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Thanks for the explanation, V. It makes sense now.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Here is a little more background information, for those of you out of the state. In 2017, the Democratic majority in the state legislature passed a law that allows the collection of ballots from other individuals, to then be turned in at an authorized collection point. The law states that any voter can "designate any person to return [their] ballot to the elections official from whom it came or to the precinct board at a polling place within a jurisdiction." Both parties have taken advantage of this law, but Democrats far more, so the Republicans have tried to oppose it both in the legislature (which obviously was going to fail since the Democrats have super-majorities in both houses) and in the courts (which also went nowhere because they had no real legal argument). So since they can't defeat the law, they decided to take it to a ridiculous extreme. Obviously people being fooled into putting their ballots into ballot boxes that are falsely designated as "official" or not knowingly designating someone else to return their ballot. If they actually do change the labeling, it might make it legal, but I would say that it would do so only if it made clear that by depositing the ballot in the box they were designating some specific person to turn in their ballot for them. I very much doubt that the new labeling will do that.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Some more background information from beyond the state of California. One of the most significant things that the Supreme Court has done since its new term started this month is agree to take up a case from Arizona in which the DNC challenged that state's ban on ballot harvesting (passed, of course, by the GOP majority of Arizona's legislature and signed by the Republican governor). The Ninth Circuit ruled that the ban violated what is left of the Voting Rights Act because it disproportionately impacted minorities, and the Republicans appealed to the Supreme Court. The high court agreed on October 2 (actually before the official start of the term on October 5) to hear the case, meaning that the ban will stay in effect through the election. And almost certainly meaning that the Voting Rights Act will get another nail in its coffin next year.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

This is going to seriously piss him off

More people watched Biden on ABC than Trump on NBC, MSNBC and CNBC

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

My thought exactly when I saw that headline a little while ago.
Voronwë the Faithful

And then there is this.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Ratings are everything to reality TV personalities. Serious content, not so much. That Trump claims not to know what QAnon is, is either a testament to A.) His delusion B.) the grandiosity of his lies or C.) the depth of his ignorance and incompetence as a leader. Take your pick. Stay tuned to find out...
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I choose B)

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

So dancing Trump is the latest Twitter meme (of course it is). And of course someone edited him into Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion's WAP. Then it got meta.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Túrin Turambar wrote:So dancing Trump is the latest Twitter meme (of course it is). And of course someone edited him into Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion's WAP. Then it got meta.
I'd like to see him try to grab that WAP***y. Megan & Cardi would be havin' none of that.
Voronwë the Faithful

He'd be missing some anatomy.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

538 currently has Biden with a 87% chance of victory, Trump with a 12% chances, and an EC tie at 1%. So far, no reversion towards the mean.

Maybe Trump needs to do more dancing and prancing.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

River wrote:538 currently has Biden with a 87% chance of victory, Trump with a 12% chances, and an EC tie at 1%. So far, no reversion towards the mean.

Maybe Trump needs to do more dancing and prancing.
No, please no..

Trump believes comparing Biden to Mr. Rogers is a dis too horrible to contemplate. The thought of an honest, kind, and decent man just baffles him.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Just remember that whatever odds 538 gives for a Trump victory, the odds for a Trump "victory" will be higher than that.
Voronwë the Faithful

River wrote:538 currently has Biden with a 87% chance of victory, Trump with a 12% chances, and an EC tie at 1%. So far, no reversion towards the mean.
The 2016 forecast was almost identical to that on October 18. Just sayin'

(But no, I don't expect the same kind of steep drop that we saw in the following two weeks four years ago.)
Voronwë the Faithful

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Trump believes comparing Biden to Mr. Rogers is a dis too horrible to contemplate. The thought of an honest, kind, and decent man just baffles him.
It was a Trump advisor who tweeted that watching the Biden Town Hall was like watching Mr. Rogers. I believe she was widely misinterpreted, and meant not that Biden was like Mr. Rogers, but that Stephanapoulous was speaking to Biden the way Mr. Rogers spoke to his television audience of very young children.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Care to back that interpretation up with some details?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

I think it is a reasonable interpretation. I don't think it changes the tone-deafness of it.

From U.S.A Today:
WASHINGTON – Mr. Rogers was trending Thursday night after Mercedes Schlapp, a senior adviser for President Donald Trump's reelection campaign, compared Democratic nominee Joe Biden's town hall to the beloved show.

"Well @JoeBiden @ABCPolitics townhall feels like I am watching an episode of Mister Rodgers Neighborhood," Schlapp tweeted, misspelling TV icon Fred Rogers' last name.

Schlapp was criticizing the different tones between the Biden town hall, hosted on ABC, and the Trump town hall, hosted by NBC. Critics insisted ABC moderator George Stephanopoulos went easier on Biden than NBC moderator Savannah Guthrie went on Trump.

In Miami, Guthrie grilled Trump for 18 minutes before opening the forum to audience members' questions. Meanwhile, in Philadelphia, Stephanopoulos went straight to voters' questions and allowed the former vice president to give sometimes long-winded answers.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 674525001/