2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
River
bioalchemist

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by River »

Bonus points if they work in "antifa" as a pejorative.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

He's now saying he doesn't *really* want a delay, he's just very concerned about fraud.

This is his whole MO. Float some utterly batsh*t idea so that (a) he can see how people react, and (b) when he later floats an alternate idea that is merely bullsh*t, people breathe a sigh of relief.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Trump’s ‘Law-and-Order’ Approach Falls Flat: Poll

This is what that video that was posted some time about why Trump was going to win reelection was not understanding. This is not a winning strategy.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Trump’s ‘Law-and-Order’ Approach Falls Flat: Poll

This is what that video that was posted some time about why Trump was going to win reelection was not understanding. This is not a winning strategy.
I think you really misunderstood the intent of that video. It was not detailing why Trump was going to win, it was laying out his strategy for how he intends to win, whether it was going to work or not was more up to us to ensure it didn't. That's why he laid it out.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

elengil, with all due respect, I am not misunderstanding a video entitled " how Trump might win ..."

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Regarding the NYT op-ed written by Mr. Calabresi, a co-founder of the Federalist Society. There was an interesting opinion in the comments section. The commenter felt that the Federalist Society was sending out a Trojan horse of sorts hoping that Democrats would impeach Trump and solve their Trump problem for them since it's looking like he's going to lose, thereby making Pence the default Republican candidate, which would please them very much. Thoughts?
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

I doubt it. There are probably lots of Republicans who secretly wish Trump would just quit, but I don't believe any of them would be willing to actually impeach him when he still has so much popular support.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:elengil, with all due respect, I am not misunderstanding a video entitled " how Trump might win ..."

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
With honestly a little less respect right now, you have continually refused to engage in any simple discussion on this video but you keep referencing it sideways and it's getting a little old. If you don't want to talk about it then don't, but don't keep bringing it up then say you don't want to talk about it.

The title - as with most of his titles - is meant to get people to watch it. He has a very specific reason why he titles his videos as he does, because he wants those who are most likely to click on that title to hear what he has to say on the topic. I have even said that I understand his videos differently because I have the broader context of his channel to go on - I fully admit that, and you know well enough that reading headlines is not the same as having read the article.

His video is laying out how Trump intends to win (based on his words and actions), not making a statement that Trump is *going* to win. And yes, he *might*. How Trump *might* win isn't saying Trump winning is a foregone conclusion, it is basically a sirens blaring red flag waving warning that we can't just ignore him or think he has no chance because a lot of people felt that way last time and that clearly was not a safe stance to take.

Well howdy there, internet people, it's Beau again. So today we're going to talk about how Trump plans to win, what his reelection strategy is. What are the things that he's doing so far that we can kind of pick apart and we can see his whole campaign coming now. He's shown us enough. And it's a good campaign to be honest. It's won in the past, doing it in this exact manner. Uh, and it seems to be the template that he's following. So we're gonna go through it so we can kind of know what to expect to see
Punctuation added where it sounded most appropriate.

Now, if you want to disagree with the video content, that is fine! I don't care if you dismiss it entirely, but actually disagree with it - disagree with some point or some conclusion or hell even the whole premise, but state what it is you actually disagree with, don't just keep up this sideways referencing it while refusing to ever actually talk about it.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

You're right that I never should have addressed it in the first place. Our perspectives our too different to even attempt to bridge. I apologize.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

"Law and order"? Gee, I seem to remember a president running for re-election using that slogan before...

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/07/87160037 ... from-nixon

And I think we all remember how THAT turned out! :D
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

It worked out for Nixon because he was the contender, not the incumbent when unrest swept the nation. It's not so clear how an incumbent president bloviating about law and order works out when unrest sweeps the nation on said incumbent's watch.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Fox is reporting, based on anonymous reports from Biden insiders, that the former Vice-President has narrowed down his shortlist for his own VP pick to two - Susan Rice and Kamala Harris. I have no idea how good Fox's anonymous sources either, but both are certainly plausible.

Neither is a surprising choice, which is in itself unsurprising, as Biden's best strategy at the moment is probably to stay in his basement, come out with the odd platitude, but otherwise let the media keep its focus on his opponent.

Rice is from D.C., and has had a career as a Washington insider, so I wonder whether Harris might not provide better balance to the ticket. But Rice is also less controversial given Harris' involvement in California's exceptionally-crowded criminal justice system as SF DA and State A-G. Either is a solid choice, though.

Fun fact - both Harris and Rice are of West Indian background, although Rice also has forebears who were slaves in the American South. Another high profile black American politician, Colin Powell, also had West Indian parents. It's a small sample size, but West Indian immigrant families seem to be unusually good at producing politicians in the U.S.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

The GOP would love Rice to be the VP pick because they'd haul out Benghazi ad nauseum. The Trump administration and Fox have been using manipulated images to play up Biden being in his basement (amid Trump's own fears of being called 'bunker boy' no doubt) but Biden went to John Lewis's funeral and has been out. Biden likely does not have the advantage of having anyone who comes remotely near him tested the way Trump does..
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Just another episode in the general zaniness of this campaign - the Libertarian presidential candidate is now getting a rabies vaccine after being bitten by a bat.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

You mean there's a *shot* that makes politicians less rabid?! And they're not all getting it because...?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Dave_LF wrote:You mean there's a *shot* that makes politicians less rabid?! And they're not all getting it because...?
:rotfl:
Rabid behavior would explain a lot. Can't say I'd be disappointed if some of them got 'lockjaw' or a frozen Twitter finger.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I thought that was humorous in a dark, twisted kind of way so I told my husband the ex-caver. He flinched and turned a little pale. Getting bitten by a rabid bat is the thing cavers fear. And rabies is pretty much to only motivation a bat would have for biting.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

A spelunker!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I have it on good authority that cavers rescue spelunkers.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

River wrote:I have it on good authority that cavers rescue spelunkers.
:rofl: