Join me in a re-read of the Lord of the Rings?

The Hall of Fire's extended chapter by chapter discussion of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Join me in a re-read of the Lord of the Rings?

Post by ArathornJax »

Well, I need to escape back to Middle Earth and so last night I read chapter 1 of the Fellowship. I am not looking for an in depth analysis, I have done enough of that kind of stuff over the last 4 years. I am just wondering if anyone wants to join me in the re-read and just share by a series of chapters what they really enjoyed about reading the books again. Anyone up for that?
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Join me in a re-read of the Lord of the Rings?

Post by Inanna »

I am!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yep
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
ArathornJax

Post by ArathornJax »

Cool, no other board would I want to share this with. Should we have a schedule? I am thinking a couple of chapters a week or so. Thoughts?
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yay!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yes, great!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I might join you.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

I will be happy to participate, but not to lead.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Just to clarify, you mean just read on our own and then maybe chat about it later, or read it together on a zoom call or something?
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well it will be the former for me anyway.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Much as I enjoyed the reading that we did, I think it might be difficult to coordinate.
ArathornJax

Post by ArathornJax »

I would love to read it together on a Zoom, but I think that would be hard. I could do a Thursday night or a Saturday night. I live near Salt Lake in the Mountain Time zone and have access to setting up a Zoom so I would do it at 6 pm MDT each Saturday if others want.

I think we read say chapter 1 and discuss. For example, one of the things I really noticed in reading chapter 1 for the first time that I remember I say how there were three meals for Bilbo's and Frodo's BDay party; lunch, tea and dinner (or super). at lunch and tea all the guests were sitting down formally and the rest of the time people ate and drank. Not sure why I picked up on that. I also loved the description of the fireworks, from the green trees with trunks of dark smoke and their leaves opening and unfolding . . . fountains of butterflies that I connected to the time Bilbo climbed the tree and saw all the butterflies in The Hobbit. Also, earlier how Bilbo was rather free with his money and though some thought him queer or different, he actually was kind and considerate for the most part. Last, and I have seen this before in reading, but I l really enjoy how Frodo, after Bilbo vanishes realizes that he loved the old hobbit dearly. I think that is often the fact. We don't realize until someone we love dies, moves away or is no longer in our daily life how much we value, treasure and love them.

I also like how Bilbo realizes that Frodo is content with where he is at, with the Shire and all that goes with it. Bilbo is ready for more, Frodo is not and Bilbo grants that to Frodo. I have learned as the parent of now a 27 year old (my first grand-daughter/child turned 1 a month ago and I LOVE being a grandpa) and a 26 year old how important it is for me to realize where they are at and to accept them where they are at. For me I also loved how Bilbo gives up the ring voluntarily, though with a struggle. Not sure why, but I can relate to Bilbo at least in the sense of letting go of things I think or have thought really matter and just focusing on things that really do.

Frodo's interaction with the Sacville Baggins made me laugh. Lobelia just can't get enough of the items out of Bag End! I love how she hides things in her umbrella. Finally I enjoyed the commentary that as Gandalf walked away from Bag End, Frodo thought he was "unusually bent, almost as if the was carrying a great weight." Little did Frodo know what that implied or the other foreshadowing that is hinted at that this all would come to no good. It comes to good but at very heavy price and that is one thing I love about this story. You don't know the cost until the end. There is always a cost I believe even when you do the right thing and endure great trials and struggle. There is a cost and that cost is not known until after we endure that trial or struggle and if we make it through it. We lose something or multiple things I think, though we gain some things. Anyway, just my observations.

Daisy

Post by Daisy »

If I may join in and post my thoughts.

Chapter One
This time round I enjoyed reading the many references to The Hobbit that is sprinkled throughout the chapter, from dragons, lakes, runes to forgotten handkerchiefs and the golden buttons on Bilbo’s waistcoat.
I am again impressed by Sam. There is just a small mention of him by his father who is unsure where all the learning Sam is getting in Bag End will lead. But I see in those few words Sam’s thirst for knowledge and a willingness to learn new skills i.e. reading to further that knowledge. Bilbo’s treasure is mentioned a lot by the folk of Hobbiton. They thought it was gold and ‘jools’. But Sam found a treasure in Bar End that was altogether different and more valuable; Books.
Then I noticed a conversation that was prophetic in its way. It is the conversation where Bilbo tells Gandalf how he hopes to finish his book and has chosen an ending. Gandalf replies.” I hope he will. But nobody will read the book however it ends.” Bilbo replies, “Oh, they may in years to come.” Well. Even Tolkien couldn’t have foreseen he would be hailed as Author of the Century because The Lord of the Rings was voted the best-loved work of fiction of the twentieth century.
Now! That’s an eye opener and no mistaking.
Voronwë the Faithful

Very happy to have you share your thoughts, Daisy!