Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Trump's America

Post by elengil »

Dave_LF wrote:I'm not watching a Fox News video. Can someone summarize?
Yes Cavuto brutally smacks back at Trump with some reality. I would actually recommend you watch it.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Ok; yeah, that was pretty brutal (for Trump). But this isn't new, is it? I feel like I saw it quite some time ago.

yov, what ugliness are you expecting?
elengil

Post by elengil »

Dave_LF wrote:Ok; yeah, that was pretty brutal (for Trump). But this isn't new, is it? I feel like I saw it quite some time ago.
Well, like you I don't make it a habit of watching Fox. I know Shep Smith was usually very direct in speaking the plain truth and not Fox's "version" of the truth, and I know there have been some clips here or there of one or other of their commentators perhaps sticking to one little fact without letting the president dictate the narrative, but this went all the way back to pre-election stuff. He seemed very much done with it all, and that (to me) seemed a step beyond the other nods to reality that some have made.

But maybe I just missed an earlier similar one because, again.. Fox...
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Oh, I didn't catch that was 9 months old. Neeeever mind.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

elengil

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote:Oh, I didn't catch that was 9 months old. Neeeever mind. Image

ooohhhhh my bad, I didn't either :doh:
was a 2020 planner.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Trump's reelection ad featuring Nazi symbol for political prisoners.

This isn't a mistake, it's not an 'oops', it's not a 'didn't know'. This. Is. Deliberate.

https://medium.com/@MFrancisWrites/trum ... c064a7377f
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:Trump's reelection ad featuring Nazi symbol for political prisoners.

This isn't a mistake, it's not an 'oops', it's not a 'didn't know'. This. Is. Deliberate.

https://medium.com/@MFrancisWrites/trum ... c064a7377f
Facebook has taken down all Trump ads with that symbol. He calls it an 'emoji'.

Yeah. A racist emoji.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Yes, some are blaming it on Facebook's available icons, but they are very, very clearly up and down arrows. His are very, very clearly political-enemy attack ads.

Context, people. :doh:
context.png
context.png (26.93 KiB) Viewed 5068 times
was a 2020 planner.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Ah, apparently Trump ran *exactly 88* of those ads... which is another very blatantly Nazi-coded number. :x
was a 2020 planner.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I feel like that's stretching a little. Sometimes a coincidence is just a coincidence.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

elengil wrote:Ah, apparently Trump ran *exactly 88* of those ads... which is another very blatantly Nazi-coded number. :x
That is hard to believe. Digital advertising is so highly automated and focused on reaching a specific audience that it is almost impossible to specify the number of Ads that will be run, and frankly, even count it. Who figured out it was 88?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Alatar wrote:I feel like that's stretching a little. Sometimes a coincidence is just a coincidence.
Just like it was a coincidence that Trump wanted to do a Juneteenth rally in Tulsa.
And a coincidence that he decided to accept the GOP nomination in Jacksonville on the 60th anniversary of axe handle Saturday.
And a coincidence that he ended the Obama rule ending health care discrimination for transgender people on the anniversary of the Pulse shooting.

What a coincidence that there are so many coincidences.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Alatar wrote:I feel like that's stretching a little. Sometimes a coincidence is just a coincidence.
I cannot possibly agree here. Once or twice, sure, that might be coincidence, and that is what it was continually excused as. Over and over and over and over? No, that is blatant and deliberate. Now, do I think *Trump* is that blatant and deliberate? Not really. But those running his campaign most certainly are being, and are being very, very deliberate in who they are targeting (both in terms of audience and of 'targets') with those ads, with the timing and location of his rallies, with his 'phrasings' of certain things. This is calculated. This is not coincidence.
was a 2020 planner.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote:
elengil wrote:Ah, apparently Trump ran *exactly 88* of those ads... which is another very blatantly Nazi-coded number. :x
That is hard to believe. Digital advertising is so highly automated and focused on reaching a specific audience that it is almost impossible to specify the number of Ads that will be run, and frankly, even count it. Who figured out it was 88?
About half of the news outlets covering this are noting the number, so it appears Facebook specified exactly how many ads it pulled.
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/ ... y-n1231468
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

There is less of a chance that that is a coincidence than there is of me being hit by lightning today.

And there is not even rain in the forecast, let alone thunderstorms.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

And I just suddenly realized... Facebook banned the ads, so the news helpfully picked them up and splashed images of them across all the platforms :doh:
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I agree. There are coincidences, but when multiple 'coincidences' pile up, and it isn't the first time, well... not believable. It's a pattern. A calculated pattern of political dog whistles to appeal to the Qanon's. conspiracy theorists, and White supremacists. It's the same thing politicians do to reel in evangelicals, like setting up photo ops holding a bible in front of a church or using certain phrases. A wink & a nod.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I think it more likely that some Antifa activists may have used the symbol themselves, and someone from the administration saw it and assumed it was an Antifa symbol. It isn't used by the modern far right, and is pretty obscure (I wouldn't have recognised the meaning had the media not pointed it out), so I can't see it being of any use as a deliberate dog whistle. I honestly don't think the people who made the ad or the people it was directed to are that historically literate.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Because of course it's the symbols of the opposition everyone uses in their ads, especially the symbols that the opposition is not actually known to use.

Speaking of coincidences, I just inherited 25 million dollars from a Russian noble and need someone who can split the money with me, for a small upfront fee. Preferably someone who believes in unlikely coincidences.

Seriously, guys. What, exactly, are you defending here?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Where the alternative is that the administration used an obscure foriegn symbol as a dog-whistle to people who, quite frankly, are unlikely to be informed enough to either recognise it or know what it means, then yeah, I go for the 'never assume malice when stupidity will do' approach. It's rarely wrong.