fiber arts and handicrafts

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: fiber arts and handicrafts

Post by Inanna »

Holy cow! That looks incredible!!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Thank you! One of my many pastimes is making medieval-illumination-type art. Sometimes on actual paper, but also on things like boxes and cards (oh right.. you know that :doh: LOL), and other random objects. I did a bunch of drop spindles once, so cool when they spin!

I don't think I ever posted the greeting cards I was working on last.. I should do that!
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Your card is pinned to my office pin board. :)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I needed a copy of one of the needle felted animal pics I'd put here a while back, and found it and saved it..... and noticed it had been viewed over 5000 times! :shock:

How can that be? Do the bots that visit the site cause the picture view tally to go up?
elengil

Post by elengil »

Maria wrote:I needed a copy of one of the needle felted animal pics I'd put here a while back, and found it and saved it..... and noticed it had been viewed over 5000 times! :shock:

How can that be? Do the bots that visit the site cause the picture view tally to go up?
I believe that means this thread has been viewed, collectively, 5000 individual times? I would think that would make more sense, the thread rather than a specific post or page... So if there are, say, 20 people who look at the thread every time there's a new post, and there have been 250 posts, then it will show 5,000 views?
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I got another row done on my big crochet blanket:
Hidden text.
crochet quilt.jpg
crochet quilt.jpg (872.12 KiB) Viewed 8517 times
It's up to 288 squares right now. :shock: I still need to do a couple more rows, so it drapes over the side of the bed enough to be useful, so it will be almost double that when finished. They'll be just plain cream color, though, so that will go faster, since I have a lot of that color that I sent to the wool mill to be made into yarn. It really slows down the process when I run out of one of the dark colors and have to spin more before I can proceed.

Don't get me wrong, I like spinning wool, too. It just takes so long!

edited to spoilerize the pic so it wouldn't stretch the page

edit2: Link to the last time I posted about this project: http://thehalloffire.net/forum/viewtopi ... 82#p338582
elengil

Post by elengil »

Maria, that's gorgeous!!! :shock: :love:
was a 2020 planner.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Yesterday I borrowed some inspiration (and courage) from two fantastic youtube videos and decided to make my very first pair of medieval hose.

These are actually the (third/fourth) mock-ups, but were so darn comfortable I am going to hold onto them (meaning I need to make another mock-up to capture the last bits of pattern fussing)

Videos in question
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i65YiAhLoxg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr4Hd2I5W2Q

The ones I made ended up being a touch loose around the ankle because otherwise I couldn't get my heel into them! But otherwise I think I finally got a pretty good fit. I've made a duct tape pattern before, but never done the draping directly onto my body before, I was definitely nervous that I was about to waste a whole lot of fabric!

#overcomingsewingfears
Hidden text.
hose-top.jpg
hose-top.jpg (114.69 KiB) Viewed 7929 times
hose-side.jpg
hose-side.jpg (209.43 KiB) Viewed 7929 times
hose-foot.jpg
hose-foot.jpg (89.63 KiB) Viewed 7929 times
was a 2020 planner.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Interesting! I had no idea people used to wear non-knitted stockings. Cool project!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Those feet look really hard!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Maria wrote:Interesting! I had no idea people used to wear non-knitted stockings. Cool project!
In medieval terms, I believe knitting came to Europe quite late. Though the Norse had something that was sort of like but decidedly not knitting, called (i think) språng? Which gives a sort of knitted appearance but it is more like knotting... I don't know how to describe it...
Inanna wrote:Those feet look really hard!
For half a second I thought you were talking about *my* feet and I was so confused! LOL Once you figure out what's going on it's actually pretty easy, basically a half round-ish shape with some sleeve-like curving at the other side - if you drape it it kind of works itself out and then you only need a bit of fussing to get the shape just right.

I am going to try another variant of this pattern today, though, with a separate piece on the bottom of the foot. That means I won't be standing on the seams, but it also means if I wear out the bottoms I can just replace that piece instead of redoing the whole thing!
was a 2020 planner.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

So, Elengil asked for a knitting update. Below are the four items I've completed during home restrictions.

The green one is the only item knitted with purchased yarn. All three others are created from repurposed yarn (garments purchased from opp shops/thrift stores for their colour or wool quality and then unravelled).

The last one doesn't have the yarn roses attached yet.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Wow. Those look awesome!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Yay! Thank you for sharing! Those look so cozy and pretty :love:
was a 2020 planner.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Here are pants! The white ones are a tad.. 'see-thru' so those will definitely go under long tops or layers. The blue have pockets! :love:

I would have put pockets in the white but I wanted to make sure I could actually *make* the pants first. I may go back and add them into the side seam instead of the angled like the blue have. I also have this gorgeous sort of golden-mustard shade of linen I want to make another pair out of. They are so comfy!

Doh! Forgot the picture! Here ya go:
LinenPants2.jpg
LinenPants2.jpg (358.39 KiB) Viewed 7731 times
was a 2020 planner.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Perfect summer pants, Elengil. Did you hand-sew them? You were plying needle snd thread during the Zoom, but those seams look beyond any hand stitching Icould achieve!

Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Impenitent wrote:Perfect summer pants, Elengil. Did you hand-sew them? You were plying needle snd thread during the Zoom, but those seams look beyond any hand stitching Icould achieve!

I did the main seams on the machine but had to finish them by hand - I mean how on earth do you get a machine down a pant leg? I really don't understand that one. Anyway so yah, all the finish-work was by hand.
was a 2020 planner.

Morwenna

Post by Morwenna »

Wow to all you talented energetic people! :)

I have some projects to my credit, but unfortunately none of them very recent. I'm a medievalist too (yes, I caught the An Tir references! :)) but I haven't made anything for use in the group besides clothing (AKA "garb") which I haven't done for too long now. Otherwise, I can knit but haven't made anything in ages, though I bought yarn a couple years ago which now is in storage because of some annoying landlord restrictions on how much stuff we can cram into our 5-room apartment... :( Anyway, I have been learning to crochet for more years than I can remember (yeah, still learning); I embroidered some pillow covers years ago and still have them, but never got around to making the pillows; and many decades ago I made some felt and bead/sequin items for Christmas (stole the basic idea from some commercial kits I saw): banners for gifts, and 3 standing wise men for myself which I still have though after all this time they're getting pretty shopworn. I can't show them to you because I don't know how to put pictures on the computer, believe it or not. My little digital camera (which is by now probably severely outdated) had a wire for connecting but it was lost long ago, and we don't have a smartphone yet (though hubby can take pictures with his flip phone, and it took his nephew to show him it could be done).

What I'm hoping is that this thread will give me some needed inspiration and some badly needed momentum!!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

For some reason I haven't been notifications for this thread. Such lovely arts/crafts! I haven't done much lately as I have at some points in my life. I used to do a lot of sewing, costumes, period pieces, cosplay, but I cannot knit or crochet, except on a loom.

I ran across this video on how to make a pine-needle basket and I'm thinking of giving it a go (although I should really concentrate on my painting). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfWoYF2 ... ex=27&t=0s
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I have one row left on that kerchief I'm making. Any bets on how long it will take me?

The kerchief took two years, although since March, my crafting time was taken by hand-sewing masks. (Until I found a pack of 5 at CVS for $8 that claims to have a silver permeated layer. I am sceptical, but it's a good enough mask anyway, for outdoors.)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!