2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm not telling you anything that you don't know when I say that Wisconsin Republicans has specialized probably beyond any other state in manipulating the system to obtain more power than their representation should accord them.

But this is a new low.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Sanders officially withdrew.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Good.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Thanks for the heads up to stay off Twitter.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Fortunately - and very sadly - I think that Sanders' supporters will have an easier time moving to the more 'establishment' candidate this time around, foe no other reason other than that he is a he,and not a she.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm hoping voters will rally around Biden even if he was not their candidate of choice. The incompetent administration we currently have has got to go.

Unfortunately, from a quick glance at the Bernie supporters on my FB page, it does not appear that unity is something they wish to do.

77% of Wisconsin absentee ballots were received/returned in time to be counted and any ballots post-marked through April 7th and received by April 13, will also be counted. There had been a lift of the witness signature requirement which was later rescinded. Any ballots received without a witness signature will not be counted.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I've seen some grudging support on my Facebook, but on closer inspection, these are people who got behind Bernie after Warren dropped out. Not the True Believers, in other words.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I guess full disclosure, I absolutely wanted Sanders to get the nomination, but I will absolutely vote for Biden in the general election. (Well, I was torn between him and Warren, tbh, but voted Sanders in my primary) Just because some vocal people are being... well, vocal, doesn't mean everyone who supported Sanders feels the same way.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It's also important to remember that many vocal people on social media work for troll farms in Russia, China and Iran.

That does not excuse the genuine Bernie bro. These are people who can afford to say that both parties are the same because they belong to the demographic that historically has been OK no matter who was in power.

The other group who says that are living on the other end of the privilege spectrum and know they will be screwed no matter what.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Full disclosure I had dreams of a Warren/Buttigieg ticket dancing in my head. Last time around I voted for Bernie in the primaries but was full on for Hilary on election day. I think she & her administration would have done an incredible job in this crisis and ran circles around what we've got now.

I have very few people on my FB. Mostly only those who have a similar world view (yes, my FB is pretty much a bubble). During the last election I didn't keep anyone who I felt was spreading propaganda and/or misinformation. A difference of opinion is one thing, troll farm fodder and lies are another. I don't tolerate it.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Frelga wrote:It's also important to remember that many vocal people on social media work for troll farms in Russia, China and Iran.
Maybe that's why the deluge of enthusiastic new voters never materialized. In the end, they didn't actually exist.
Voronwë the Faithful

Bernie Sanders endorses Joe Biden for president

In 2016, Sanders waited until the middle of July to endorse Clinton, so he is 3 months earlier this time around. Whether that will make a difference to his supporters remains to be seen, but I continue to believe that the biggest difference will be that a significant portion of Sanders supporters they will be able to back the nominee because he is a he.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Whether that will make a difference to his supporters remains to be seen, but I continue to believe that the biggest difference will be that a significant portion of Sanders supporters they will be able to back the nominee because he is a he.
I think you're right but few if any will admit it. Some of them will actually vehemently silence anyone who tries to go there, actually. Been on the receiving end of that one during the primaries.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Jill Karofsky Wins Wisconsin Supreme Court Race in a Boost for Liberals

I'm hoping this bodes well for Democrats in November in the state.
Voronwë the Faithful

Good news! I wonder if the Republicans will not turn around and claim that the election was illegitimate, even though it was there efforts that made it such a mess.

I'm not sure how much it bodes for Democrats in the state, since the Democratic vote was likely inflated by the fact that there was a competitive primary. But it will likely help the Democrats in the state because it will make it much less likely that the hundreds of thousands of voters will be removed from the rolls before the general election.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm taking any good news I can get although I'm sure Republicans will continue with their histrionics and pulling devious underhanded strings to disenfranchise as many potential voters as they can.
Voronwë the Faithful

It will be harder without control of the state's high court though, so that is very good news!
Voronwë the Faithful

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I saw that video. Gawd, I miss him. He is the president we needed now...
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Well now. Karofsky's term of office does not begin until August 1, and Kelly will be on the Wisconsin Supreme Court until then. When the issue of the voter repression came up previously there was a 3-3 split, with Kelly recusing himself, because he was facing an election. He is now saying that if the issue comes back up while he is still on the court, he will participate.

After losing election, state Supreme Court Justice Daniel Kelly signals he will participate in voter rolls case