The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Here's a ranking of 5,279 movies of the decade, with a different view of at least one film on your list:

Every Movie of the 2010s, Ranked. Our critics pored over 5,279 of the decade’s films. Here’s the best, worst, and mehst
Hidden text.
Avengers: Endgame is dead last. :P
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I've seen only one: Birdman, and that one is awwwesssomme, I agree.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I saw Endgame and Much Ado About Nothing, the latter of which is my second favorite Shakespeare movie (the first is the 1955 Soviet Twelfth Night, but you probably never heard of it ).
Last edited by Frelga on Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I'd seen that article back the, V-man, and yeeeeah, I know lots of people are sick to death of the whole Marvel thing and I get it buuuuuut I'm pretty sure that article was a big, elaborate troll. :roll:

Reposting the list here so it don't get lost on the last page. :)

And now, what you've all been waiting for - yov's Top 10 Favorite Movies of the (previous) Decade!

Had hoped to post this in the actual decade but I wanted to re-watch these before listifying them and that took a bit longer than I expected. Without further ado, the movies I loved most from the past 10 years in no particular order:

- A Separation
[possibly the best written pure drama I've ever seen]
- Birdman
[if I had to pick a decade's favorite, it would probably be this one]
- Toy Story 3
[sobbing happysad tears for the last 15 minutes]
- Social Network
[it's weird how cool this movie is when it's about a bunch of nerds... which might be half the point]
- Black Swan
[terrifying insanity in just the best way]
- Lego Movie
[the shear level of creativity and imagination here is utterly bonkers]
- Eighth Grade
[for the genuine reminder that we really are worth loving]
- Much Ado About Nothing (2012)
[this movie wrings every possible ounce of charm out of its goofy setup]
- The Double
[my favorite movie that nobody anywhere heard about or watched]
- Avengers: Endgame
[pulling off this mega-finale should never have worked but damnit do they stick the landing; "Avengers assemble" is the very best film moment of the decade]
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Frelga wrote:I saw Endgame and Much Ado About Nothing, the former of which is my second favorite Shakespeare movie
I'll assume you meant to say latter. :P :P :P :P :P
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

yovargas wrote:I'd seen that article back the, V-man, and yeeeeah, I know lots of people are sick to death of the whole Marvel thing and I get it buuuuuut I'm pretty sure that article was a big, elaborate troll. :roll:
The Hobbit films, which I don't think were anywhere near as great as LOTR but still had many redeeming and even groundbreaking qualities, were not very far ahead of Endgame on that list.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

yovargas wrote:
Frelga wrote:I saw Endgame and Much Ado About Nothing, the former of which is my second favorite Shakespeare movie
I'll assume you meant to say latter. Image Image Image Image :P
Whatever do you mean? :halo:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

"To snap or not to snap, that is the question."
- Shakespeare
Last edited by yovargas on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

“He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man."
Steve Rogers to his mirror, probably.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Finally got around to watching Parasite, which is now the first foreign language movie to ever win the top Oscar. It was wildly praised by critics everywhere, making tons of year end list, with many people calling it one of the very best of the decade, and having extremely high ratings in places like imdb.

I thought it was pretty firmly the stupidest movie I saw all year.
-The Decemberists

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

So, I'm treating yov's films of the decade as my 'to watch' list.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Watched Murder on Orient Express. It was better than I expected. I barely recognized Kenneth Branagh, who emoted way too much for my liking, and Johnny Depp. I did NOT recognize Daisy Ridley until I looked up the cast.

They stuck fairly close to Christie. An enjoyable mystery movie, but not as effervescent as Knives Out.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Impenitent wrote:So, I'm treating yov's films of the decade as my 'to watch' list.
Don't yell at me if you end up hating some of them! :P

Are there any you've already seen?
-The Decemberists

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Toy Story 3 (so heartwarmingly lovely) and Black Swan (Shivers and silent screams, man!), so tha here are a few to catch.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I've never seen 'The Green Mile' but watched it last night. It's quite the movie.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
eborr

Post by eborr »

Watched the Joker last nigh, it seems to have all the ingredients to offend everybody - so kudos for that - if you can get past that it's quite a demanding watch - but worth it/
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I saw Rocketman last night, the 2019 biopic about Elton John. I can't believe no one has mentioned it here. (I tried various searches but couldn't find anything.)

I loved it! I'm not an Elton John fan, in fact my formative years tended more to JS Bach than rock, but I used to watch musicals on TV with my mom, and this was a superb musical .... it wove in Elton's hits (Elton's scores to the words of his long-time lyricist/"brother") in a way that was clearly fantasy but not in the artificially staged fantasy of old style musicals. Those old classics would abruptly break from dialog into song and dance, whereas this seemed to fade from realistic scenes into dream scenes and back to reality seamlessly. The movie wasn't just a biopic. It explored different kinds of loving and loveless relationships, and what money and fame does to people, and had me sniffling by the time the credits rolled. It was fun to see Robb Stark again, too. :D
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Voronwë the Faithful

I liked Rocketman a lot too, and I also was never a big Elton John fan.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Not a movie I've seen, or really plan to see, but the recent Artemis Fowl film seems to have earned itself a place in the hall of terrible adaptations, alongside the likes of Percy Jackson and The Last Airbender. I'm not familiar with the source material, but apparently they took the names of the characters and the basic premise, made something pretty much unrelated to the plot of the book, and it's at 9% on Rotten Tomatoes. Fans of the book are livid - Disney does seem to have a way with fans of its IP sometimes. A good reminder that we LoTR fans could have gotten a lot worse.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yeah, getting terrible reviews. On a more positive note, apparently Percy Jackson is getting much better treatment on the small screen
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End