2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Accept, again, for the fact that it is true. But the truth is often childish.
*except :rofl:
Except it isn't true. Maybe in her circle... clearly Vermont likes him. There were a lot of people who did and do support Sanders, so it absolutely isn't true that nobody likes him.

And again, her career politician jab implies that because he's been in politics for a very long time that everything he says is a scam, except he's been saying it for as long as he's been in politics. He hasn't taken on a new facade in his run for president, these are the issues he's spoken about for years. Whereas Clinton really did change her position on a number of issues. Even if she only changed them to meet the demands of 'the base'. The length of time in a political office is not itself the problem.

Rose, if you're interested: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/21/us/p ... nders.html
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil, perhaps I'll read it all the way through later.

Generally I read the headlines of this sort of thing (and maybe roll my eyes) but I generally don't get too hung up on it because.. I get pissed at petty stuff the media chooses to focus on. There are too many very real issues at stake. This morning I read that there is a big to-do in Canada over where Justin Trudeau bought donuts. Really?? REALLY??? Get a grip people! I'm not saying I think the comment Hilary made was wise or justified.. just that reactions are overblown when there are more important things to focus on. To be fair the comment was made a year or two ago before Bernie was running for office again. When recently asked if she felt the same way she confirmed it. Should she have lied about her personal opinion? Perhaps 'no comment' would have been a good choice, but she IS allowed her opinion. It's not as if the comment came out of nowhere just in time for the primaries. Comments that Hilary makes doesn't change anything. Where Justin Trudeau bought his donuts shouldn't cause the internet to blow up. It's annoying.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It is rather obvious that what Clinton was saying was that none of his colleagues liked him, not that voters in Vermont did not like him. And that is simply the truth, whether you want to *accept* it or not. In fact, the only Senator that I have ever heard say anything at all complimentary about Sanders is Elizabeth Warren. And it is a simple fact that no Senator in recent history has been as unsuccessful at passing litigation as Sanders.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Click here to see a list of the several endorsements that Bernie has from significant party figures, including numerous members of Congress.

The 2020 Endorsement Primary - Bernie Sanders

eta - by my tally, eight members of Congress have endorsed Bernie.
Last edited by yovargas on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

And how many Senators are on that list? Exactly one, Patrick Leahy,his fellow Senator from Vermont, who had to endorse Sanders for political reasons in the state. Not a single other Senator has endorsed him. Not one. You make my point for me, yov.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:And how many Senators are on that list? Exactly one, Patrick Leahy,his fellow Senator from Vermont, who had to endorse Sanders for political reasons in the state. Not a single other Senator has endorsed him. Not one. You make my point for me, yov.

And how many US Senators endorse the others?

5 for Biden, 1 for Warren, 1 for Klobuchar, 0 for Buttigieg... I mean, 1 for Sanders isn't really that much of a condemnation taken in context of the others, and since we don't have all the senators accounted for, many may simply be waiting to give their endorsement.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

OK but more importantly.

2020 Democratic contenders link arms in MLK Jr. Day march

(the image is from a tweet https://twitter.com/AdamHSays/status/12 ... 70594?s=19, the article has a similar photo)
IMG_20200123_170831.jpg
IMG_20200123_170831.jpg (87.76 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Watching the nationwide and Iowa opinion polling, Bernie Sanders may turn out to be the luckiest man in Washington. Each of the major candidates have had a recent bump – most recently Buttigieg, before than Warren, and before that Harris (following the busing comment in the debate). Sanders now seems to be on his way up less than a fortnight out from the Iowa Caucus – the worm could turn before then but if are going to get a spike in the polls this is the time for it. He was probably helped out by Clinton’s and Warren’s criticism. And he got a somewhat-incongruous endorsement from Joe Rogan.

He’s facing the disadvantage of needing to be at the Capitol for the trial while Biden and Buttigieg free to wander the length and breadth of the Hawkeye State drumming up support. But he’s holding up. Iowa is still a four-horse race, and caucuses are unpredictable.

I always find it amusing that the selection of the President of the United States, the most powerful and influential person in the world, begins with a series of town hall meetings in a small midwestern state in the depths of winter. But that’s all part of the fun I suppose.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Biden being free to wander isn't necessarily to Biden's advantage.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I suspect Iowans enjoy the attention. There's not a whole lot to do in that state. Other than RAGBRAI, but that's only one week out of the year.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

When we drove up to Iowa to buy our bull a few years ago, we stopped at the future birthplace of James T. Kirk. https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2081 Apparently they have a yearly Trek convention there. :)
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Maria wrote:When we drove up to Iowa to buy our bull a few years ago, we stopped at the future birthplace of James T. Kirk. https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2081 Apparently they have a yearly Trek convention there. :)
:rotfl: I love this! :D
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Evidence:
Hidden text.
kirk birthplace.jpg
kirk birthplace.jpg (384.09 KiB) Viewed 2815 times
Voronwë the Faithful

If I were Joe Biden, I'd be begging to testify at the impeachment trial, not demanding that I not be called. What a fantastic forum to show your quality, and put to bed any false claims. Some of Hillary Clinton's finest moments came at the grueling 12 hour Benghazi testimony that she gave, in which she absolutely shredded her GOP accusers.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Joe Biden is no Hillary Clinton, with respect to mental acuity. It would be an utter disaster. And besides, promoting his son to be on the board of a corrupt Ukrainian company under investigation while he was in charge of rooting out sweetheart deal corruption in the country showed an appalling lack of judgment that raised red flags all over the world. Why on earth would he want that publicly examined?
elengil

Post by elengil »

Cerin wrote:Joe Biden is no Hillary Clinton, with respect to mental acuity. It would be an utter disaster. And besides, promoting his son to be on the board of a corrupt Ukrainian company under investigation while he was in charge of rooting out sweetheart deal corruption in the country showed an appalling lack of judgment that raised red flags all over the world. Why on earth would he want that publicly examined?
Outside of being his father, did Biden have any actual direct influence on getting his son that job, or did the company hire his son - very likely because of his actual business experience, and probably sweetened by being the son of the VP - without Biden needing to actually do anything?
was a 2020 planner.

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I don't know the answers to those questions and I don't think it matters. Anyone with a normal sense of propriety or integrity would have seen how inappropriate this was and told his son in no uncertain terms to get the hell out of there.
elengil

Post by elengil »

It does matter if the accusation of "promoting his son to be on the board of a corrupt Ukrainian company" is being made, it does make a difference if that accusation is even slightly accurate or not.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

Of course it matters, but that's not even what the accusation against Joe Biden is. The accusation is that he was responsible for getting the Ukrainian prosecutor who was charged with investigating, Burisma, the company that Hunter Biden worked for, fired. The truth, of course, is completely opposite to that; the prosecutor, Viktor Shokin, was not investigating Burisma, was blocking investigation of corruption in Ukraine in general (being corrupt himself), and the effort to get him removed that Biden was a part of us was very wide-ranging. If I were Biden, I would want to publicly make that case myself.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

So I did some reading because there's a lot of noise and precious little signal regarding the Bidens and Burisma these days. Burisma and its owner came under investigation repeatedly for corruption. One of those investigations happened while Hunter Biden was on the board and Victor Shokin was the prosecutor general. Vice President Biden did get involved because it was the opinion of the Obama Administration that Shokin's investigation was slow-walking into a free pass for Burisma because Shokin was on the take. In other words, while Biden's son was on the board of Burisma, Biden was trying to get Burisma and the officials protecting Burisma burned. Furthermore, the investigation itself only pertained to events that occurred before Hunter Biden got hired.
When you can do nothing what can you do?