Middle-earth [formerly LotR] in New Media

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Middle-earth [formerly LotR] in New Media

Post by Inanna »

The first time I read that as “Pern”.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

Primula Baggins wrote:I'm truly glad that through the wonder of modern technology I can share this with you all.

http://missedmanners.wordpress.com/2007 ... -vacation/

Do read the captions, though there is a small amount of less-than-prim language.

lol great stuff.
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

So, this is one for those who enjoy an Expanded Universe, or "fan fiction" if you prefer.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/lord ... s-5e-books

These are all the source books for the LotR RPG, but as well as rules for playing the game there's a wealth of resources for, say, telling a story in Rivendell, or Erebor. Normally the way this works is that they just expand on Tolkiens writings without contradicting any of his published works, but I can't make any promises. Still, for a minimum donation of $15, its worth a read surely!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I've been down the rabbit hole of geneology and have found I have a Proudfoot in my family tree. So far, just one :)

She does not look happy.
Attachments
proudfoot.jpg
proudfoot.jpg (20.13 KiB) Viewed 12639 times
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

As Gandalf would say, "It's quite cool."
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Looking happy for photos just wasn't done early on.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That's quite an interesting photo! Finding & sharing photographs is one thing I've enjoyed about genealogy. But a Proudfoot to boot!!
My heart is forever in the Shire.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Even if you don't care about video games, I think you'll find this video interesting - a game developer tells a little story about an impressive demo his studio put together as a pitch for a Hobbit video game that never came to be:

I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I might have been tempted by that.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:As Gandalf would say, "It's quite cool."
:rotfl: (Though in rewatching scenes from the movie, I like how Gandalf just straight up lets Frodo be the one to test whether it is cool. Like, he uses tongs to fetch it and then drops it in Frodo's hand. I mean, if he'd been even a tiny bit wrong what would have happened?? "Oh, it *is* hot? My bad. Sorry about the burn..."

But I quite agree! (Late to the party, as always) Narya, what a lovely ancestor! What fortune to have found the picture.

Yov, I'm kind of sad they didn't get to make the game, but I'm glad it at least wasn't a game based on those movies.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

elengil wrote:
Yov, I'm kind of sad they didn't get to make the game, but I'm glad it at least wasn't a game based on those movies.
Hey, you know you wanna play that Legolas barrel-hoppinh level!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Elengil, I've always assumed that Gandalf didn't want to touch the Ring with his bare hand. Didn't be already know from Isildur's notes that the Ring was not affected by the fire? Or did he?

Regardless, I wouldn't put it past Gandalf to just drop red hot metal into Frodo's hand.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:Elengil, I've always assumed that Gandalf didn't want to touch the Ring with his bare hand. Didn't be already know from Isildur's notes that the Ring was not affected by the fire? Or did he?

Regardless, I wouldn't put it past Gandalf to just drop red hot metal into Frodo's hand.
I always understood that the 'final' test was the words on the ring. He was almost certain but that one last test was what clinched it. But now I'm not sure if that was from the book (either in the text or an appendix) or if it's something another adaptation introduced?

I think what made me think of it was seeing several reviews lately comparing adaptations, that was one scene that struck me as funny in contrast. In the cartoon he picks it up (thus proving it was cool first) and then hands it to Frodo, in the movie he uses tongs and just drops it in his hands and I'm like "It's a good thing he was right or that would have burnt like hell!"
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

But he picked it up from the fire, correct? Hands would still be burnt by fire/hot coals.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote:But he picked it up from the fire, correct? Hands would still be burnt by fire/hot coals.
If Gandalf wants to risk his own hands that's one thing, but dropping it into Frodo's hands untested was just kind of a d move.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Gandalf knew that Frodo's fire would not heat the Ring. He didn't want to touch it because he didn't want to be tempted by it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

elengil wrote:
Inanna wrote:But he picked it up from the fire, correct? Hands would still be burnt by fire/hot coals.
If Gandalf wants to risk his own hands that's one thing, but dropping it into Frodo's hands untested was just kind of a d move.
No, what I meant was - he knew it would not burn Frodo. But the coals could have still burnt his hands.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Gandalf knew that Frodo's fire would not heat the Ring. He didn't want to touch it because he didn't want to be tempted by it.
But... didn't he hold it before he threw it into the fire?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yes, which was a clear mistake. I love the way the filmmakers handle this scene with him throwing the envelope in the fire. It both fixes that error, and provides that great visual image of the envelope burning away and revealing the Ring.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Here is the comparison I was watching (starting at the appropriate scene)

https://youtu.be/4t7KSarpfFM?t=162

(My but that IS a picky tag isn't it? Fine, clickable but not embedded.)

Yes, the cartoon has the problem of the ring not actually being *in* the fire, and of Gandalf just reaching in to pick it up which could have burnt him. And to Voronwë's point, I really do like the envelope burning reveal, which was very effective. I still think it's an amusing contrast to putting Frodo at risk of being burnt if he'd been wrong.
was a 2020 planner.