Mindfulness

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Mindfullness

Post by Frelga »

Writing is a form of mindfulness. ;)

There's this https://mini-wrimo.dreamwidth.org/, where participants promise to write at least 100 words a day.

Mindfulness is commonly described as being present in the moment, but sometimes the present moment sucks. Then the best application of mindfulness is getting you the heck out of the moment and somewhere else entirely.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'd agree with that.

I was curious as to how to define mindfulness so, as is my wont, I began by looking up the official definition (as per Webster):
the practice of maintaining a nonjudgmental state of heightened or complete awareness of one's thoughts, emotions, or experiences on a moment-to-moment basis also : such a state of awareness
And also from my computer dictionary (which doesn't list a source):
a mental state achieved by focusing one's awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one's feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations, used as a therapeutic technique.
I would think that an awareness of one's thoughts and feelings (etc..) would include the internal thoughts of our imaginations. Our creative processes. I'm not much of a writer, although I have written a bit of poetry, but I am a very visual person.. a visual thinker. I would include my visual creativity and inspiration in mindfulness.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The Sangha that I participate in has its annual retreat next weekend,Friday through Sunday. All day Friday is dedicated to writing.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Ooh that is some food for thought, for sure.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't if it's just me, but that first definition in Rose's post does not sound like a desirable state. :help:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'd say the only word I find problematic is 'maintaining'. Which makes it sound like an unhealthy hyper-awareness. (?)
elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:I don't if it's just me, but that first definition in Rose's post does not sound like a desirable state. :help:
RoseMorninStar wrote:I'd say the only word I find problematic is 'maintaining'. Which makes it sound like an unhealthy hyper-awareness. (?)
Yeah, I understand that to be maintain for a short, controlled period of time. Be mindful for a prescribed period, but not try to maintain it as a regular course.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I looked this video up to put in 'The Parlor' thread, but I thought this might be a good place to put this too. Be Aware of Yourself.
I like to listen to this older gentleman's videos to relax sometimes.
elengil

Post by elengil »

*clicks link*

PUPPY! :love:

Will watch/listen this tonight when I get home - I do love the sound of some people's voices!
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

"Each minute we spend worrying about the future and regretting the past is a minute we miss in our appointment with life - a missed opportunity to engage life and to see that each moment gives us the chance to change for the better, to experience peace and joy."

~ Thich Nhat HanhImage

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

I suppose this can fall broadly under the topic of this thread - I finally sucked up a bit and let the last bit of some old baggage go. Kinda got to the point that I was holding onto it more out of... habit I guess? I won't say it's irretrievably put down, but the fact I put it down at all is a good step forward. Maybe if I just forget to pick it back up again ...

In related news, I love y'all here. :love:
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

To letting go! :toast:

:love:
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:I suppose this can fall broadly under the topic of this thread - I finally sucked up a bit and let the last bit of some old baggage go. Kinda got to the point that I was holding onto it more out of... habit I guess? I won't say it's irretrievably put down, but the fact I put it down at all is a good step forward. Maybe if I just forget to pick it back up again ...

In related news, I love y'all here. :love:
:hug:
Although I don't know what you are going or have gone through elengil, I have been in a similar position. It can be a burden and it's much better to move forward unencumbered even if it's likely that we'll carry some battle wounds with us. Scars can mostly heal, given enough time.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I saw a bumper sticker the other day with "Zen Buddhism - don't even think about it."

elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:I saw a bumper sticker the other day with "Zen Buddhism - don't even think about it."
:rofl:
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote:I saw a bumper sticker the other day with "Zen Buddhism - don't even think about it."
:clap:
Voronwë the Faithful

"Mindfulness is the energy that helps us recognize the conditions of happiness that are already present in our lives. You don’t have to wait ten years to experience this happiness. It is present in every moment of your daily life. There are those of us who are alive but don’t know it. But when you breathe in, and you are aware of your in-breath, you touch the miracle of being alive. That is why mindfulness is a source of happiness and joy."
~ Thich Nhat Hanh
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I know it shouldn't bother me, but do you realise "mindfulness" is miss-spelled in the title of this thread?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Re: Mindfulness

Thanks, Al. I fixed it.
elengil

Re: Mindfulness

Post by elengil »

:rofl:

So every morning I write something on the white board behind my desk. It's usually a pun, or snarky, or one of those sneak-up-on-you jokes.

But I'm really proud of today's
1125190805 (003).jpg
1125190805 (003).jpg (44.51 KiB) Viewed 10464 times
While this is really just to make my co-workers laugh, I think sometimes we really do set our expectations way, way too high, especially for ourselves. Just a little reminder that sometimes its okay to lower them and be satisfied with that than to be always dissatisfied because high expectations couldn't be met!
was a 2020 planner.