Doctor Who

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Doctor Who

Post by Alatar »

There's no thread here and there should be!

Season 2 Finale was on Saturday. Awesome!

For those on Season 1 I'll spare the spoilers, but suffice it to say that Season 2 was even better!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

<sob> Sci-Fi Channel refuses to announce whether they will be showing Season 2 or not. Season 1 got respectable ratings for them, but it may be that it brings in too many of the wrong demographic (smart people, women, and people over 34) instead of the male teenage dimster wrestling fans their advertisers seem to be targeting.

:x

Season 1 was wonderful--it had the true Doctor Who flavor, but the characters including the Doctor were much more fully rounded. I always liked the Doctor's darker moments, and this season delivered, big time. The episodes where they hit you over the head with the British Whimsy Hammer were maybe a little less fun, but overall I was thrilled. There was some marvelous television in there, and some marvelous science fiction.

I've heard a rumor that Sci_Fi has been offered the option of paying less for Season Two and not showing it until next year <sob>. But that's better than never.

The Season 1 DVD just came out, but it lists at $100!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

I was made to watch a Dr Who episode at the Edinburgh moot.

*shudders*

But I'm fine with being an untypical member of the apparent Dr Who demographic group. :P
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Alys

Post by Alys »

Made to watch it? Surely not! :shock:

The second series is only better because the Doctor is Scottish ;)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Scottish?

Be still, my heart! :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Well, true - not really made to watch it. After ten minutes or so I began to use the time for closing my eyes a bit and trying to doze, so having it play was probably a good thing as it might have helped me to stay fit later. ;)
But it was certainly unwatchable for me and I keep wondering what people like about it. :scratch:
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

It's a bit like James Bond.

Both started plus or minus eight months of my birth (Doctor Who and Doctor No, don't you know?), and were the absolute childhood favorites of mine for screen and TV.

But when the actors playing the characters are younger than me (as Daniel Craig and Christpher Eccleston both are, for the first time in my life), I don't feel like I'm rekindling my youth - I just suddenly feel damned old.

I mean, in the first episode of Doctor Who, he was a grandfather (the actor was 55) and acted as such. Now he's played by someone who's 35 in a light-hearted, easy-going and somewhat cheeky manner.

I dunno...*shakes head*...it's just not the same.
It's about time.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Prim, I think you will absolutely adore the new Doctor. He's fantastic. The actor is David Tenant who some of you might recognise as Barty Crouch Jr in the latest Harry Potter movie.

As for Billie Piper, who would have believed it. She started off as a teeny bopper pop singer in her teens and was famous mostly for dating a well known British DJ. Well she showed her quality, the very highest.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Count me in as a devotee of the Doctor. I loved Season One, in great part because of Eccleston, so I was not thrilled about the transformation to a new actor. Still, I'd rather see Season Two with a new Doctor than not at all! I remember enough of the old series to know that had to come eventually.

Billie Piper was great -- feisty and touching -- and was the major reason I could convince my spouse to watch with me. :D

Some of the effects were on the cheesy side, in part because they were (as far as I remember) duplicating villians from the old days. That didn't bother me.

What did bother me, to the point of disturbing my dreams, was the kid with the gas mask face. "Are you my mummy?" :shock: Creepy!
samaranth

Post by samaranth »

Count me in too. I've watched both series (thanks to helpful Internet pixies) and I agree, Alatar, the final episodes of Series 2 were great stuff.

But then, I've been a Doctor Who fan since childhood. It's been interesting coming back after a gap of so long, and seeing the Doctors not just as grandfatherly, rather acerbic types (accompanied by rather screamy companions) but evolving as young, yet still old - and obviously having a lot of fun too.

Hobby, the stories are full of so much potential in terms of choices made, the paradoxes of time, the meaning and value of life/lives, etc and so on. Once upon a time you'd also watch the program to see the cardboard sets shaking, but the past two series have certainly changed that aspect of it. (Well, mostly.)

Now that Series 2 is finished I'm going to go back to the beginning of Series 1 (which I have on DVD) and watch again a little more carefully. There are a lot of layers in these stories which can be missed in the throw away lines and humour.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Hobby, it's not a show for everyone, definitely; I can see how it would rub you the wrong way. It has aspects that can irritate even me at times.

However, it's also, by its nature, a really varied show and always has been: satire, farce, historical drama (though usually with an SF or supernatural element mixed in), character drama, horror, tragedy. . . . If you ever find yourself in the same room as another episode, you might find you can watch or even enjoy that one. Or not.

The hook that pulls me through all the varied stories of Season One is the Doctor and his companion Rose. Good actors and an interestingly written relationship make the show. It was the fourth Doctor, played by Tom Baker, and his companion Sarah Jane Smith who hooked me for life.
eborr

Post by eborr »

sadly I saw v little of series 2.

the great strength of the shows this time around has been the writing - some of the smartest scripts on TV for many a year.

As a commentary on modern Britain they are outstanding
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Some interesting points here - thanks for trying to explain, guys! :)

Ok, so do I get that right that the attraction lies, after all, in taking it at face value?

My main problem with the show (similar to the Sharpe-series, really) is that for my personal taste I find it too silly to take it seriously, and yet not funny enough to enjoy it as something that is making fun of itself.

If the show began in the sixties, that might explain some things - what I saw, I think, compares to things like we used to see in "The Avengers" or "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.", and which in the sixties were suspense, I think, but which today (or, rather, to me) are too absurd, yet without mostly managing to be the kind of absurd that is funny.

And from what I've now heard it seems to me that people watching it feel real suspense, get really involved with the story, rather than being amused by the absurdity, is that right?

I don't know what version of the Doctor I saw, but it was a new episode (which is why it had to be watched) and the people looked like they might just as well staff "Buffy" or something along those lines - young and well-shaped, but bland.
eborr wrote:As a commentary on modern Britain they are outstanding
That would of course be something that would most likely escape me, too, so here's another reason to explain why it doesn't appeal to me. :)
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

The great charm of Dr Who has always been that it has never taken itself too seriously. This is sci-fi which keeps its tongue in its cheek.

And I love the way that Britain, and British culture, are always the main points of reference for the last Time Lord. :D Random characters who end up in the Tardis are always British. :D Well, apart from the very handsome and gorgeous Captain Jack (when are we going to see him again, eh, precious?)

I remember the great Jon Pertwee and his perky sidekick Katy Manning (her character was called Jo). And I was a teenager during the Golden Age of Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen. Goodness, there were some truly duff storylines at times - and even worse special effects. :rofl: But there were also some outstandingly memorable storylines - Genesis of the Daleks :bow: , The Pyramids of Mars :bow:

But the new Doctor! :love: Especially the Tenth Doctor! :love: David Tennant is in the Tom Baker mould - witty, charming, lovable, eccentric. And he is INCREDIBLY fanciable. =:)

I did enjoy the darker edge that Christopher Eccleston gave the Doctor, but I really, really, REALLY love DT. :love:

The Season Two finale was outstanding. I really like the emotional depth of the new Who. And Billie Piper is a blast. Good on her!
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

Pearly Di wrote:I remember the great Jon Pertwee and his perky sidekick Katy Manning (her character was called Jo). And I was a teenager during the Golden Age of Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen. Goodness, there were some truly duff storylines at times - and even worse special effects. :rofl: But there were also some outstandingly memorable storylines - Genesis of the Daleks :bow: , The Pyramids of Mars :bow:
You speak for me too in this.
It's about time.
samaranth

Post by samaranth »

Pearly Di wrote: ... Well, apart from the very handsome and gorgeous Captain Jack (when are we going to see him again, eh, precious?)...
In Torchwood, Di. Not that far away now.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'm happy to report that the U.S. Sci-Fi Channel will in fact be showing Season 2 of Doctor Who, on Friday nights beginning 9/29 (kicked off by a Season 1 marathon). So, Fridays will be Doctor Who followed by Battlestar Galactica: two hours of superb TV science fiction.

As the kids used to say: Hoopy too! Wah hah! :D
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

When they weren't saying "Are you my mummy?" :shock:

That's great news, Prim!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Hooray! Can't wait for it to start up again! :)
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I've finally caught up on the season 2 episodes so far (the latest was the girl in the fireplace) and have finally decided that Tennant is acceptable as the Doctor. Excellent shows!

I particularly liked this last episode -- both the acting and the plot twists. But how grand to see the return of Sarah Jane in the school episode!