Mindfulness

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Mindfullness

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"An emotion is only an emotion. It’s just a small part of your whole being. You are much more than your emotion. An emotion comes, stays for a while, and goes away, just like a storm. If you’re aware of that, you won’t be afraid of your emotions." ~Thich Nhat Hanh~

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Whatever happens to the body also happens to the mind. When we look at the body as an item of consumption, an object of desire, we haven’t truly seen the body. Our own body, and the body of another, should be treated with utmost respect. The body is as sacred as the mind. When we touch someone else’s body, we touch their mind and their soul.

- Thich Nhat Hanh

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

We have a habit of running after things, and this habit has been transmitted to us by our parents and ancestors. We don’t feel fulfilled in the here and now, and so we run after all kinds of things we think will make us happier. We sacrifice our life chasing after objects of craving or striving for success in our work or studies. We chase after our life’s dream and yet lose ourselves along the way. We may even lose our freedom and happiness in our efforts to be mindful, to be healthy, to relieve suffering in the world, or to get enlightened. We disregard the wonders of the present moment, thinking that heaven and the ultimate are for later, not for now.

To practice meditation means to have the time to look deeply and see these things. If you feel restless in the here and now, or you feel ill at ease, you need to ask yourself: “What am I longing for?” “What am I searching for?” “What am I waiting for?”

- Thich Nhat Hanh, in “The Art of Living”.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:thumbsup:

I read an article today stating that if one wanted to improve their memory they should stop multi-tasking for at least part of their day. We multi-task far too often and it doesn't allow time to process. As we age that becomes more of a problem. I also agree with the idea that being *continually* goal oriented .. always chasing.. is probably not good for our mental orderliness either.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: (Un)suitably attired

Post by Frelga »

In my experience, some people can only do one thing at a time, and some people CAN'T do one thing at a time, and it's hardwired and non-negotiable.

There's one person at work who has to see a project to the end before starting another. Another has to have at least three things going on so he can switch between them. Both of them are advanced meditation practitioners, BTW.

Even in programming or science, there's a lot for work that is not "deep work" and leaves free processing power. And we are used to expending those spare brain cycles in socializing. It used to be people coming together to knit, or mend things, harness, fishing nets, car engines. Now it's checking Twitter.

The opposite of that is hyperfocus, where you are absorbed by the creative process or the problem-solving. That's when interruptions are really detrimental to being productive, but it's also when people don't check Twitter, because they don't have those spare brain cycles to burn off.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Attachments
Breathing in Breathing Out.jpg
Breathing in Breathing Out.jpg (372.63 KiB) Viewed 11367 times
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Beautiful. I could use a little mindful breathing.
Voronwë the Faithful

One of the most significant negative habits we should be aware of is that of constantly allowing our mind to run off into the future… Carried away by our worries, we’re unable to live fully and happily in the present. Deep down, we believe we can’t really be happy just yet - that we still have a few more boxes to be checked off before we can really enjoy life.

- Thich Nhat Hanh, in “Peace Is Every Breath”.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

A good practice, perhaps, is to wake &/or end each day with 4 things to be grateful for.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I know my problem isn't just to run into the future, it's often to just run anywhere that isn't 'right now'.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil, escapism is a good coping mechanism at times too. But it's never a bad thing to remind ourselves of things we are thankful for, however small, a cup of hot coffee, a smile, the feel of clean sheets, the smell of fresh air..
“Escapism doesn’t dismiss reality, but rather gives us the opportunity to explore our minds with creativity.”
-jesus Gomez
Voronwë the Faithful

Absolutely!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

V, the photo you posted on Oct 8.. whenever I look at it I cannot help but hear the call of loons.
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:elengil, escapism is a good coping mechanism at times too. But it's never a bad thing to remind ourselves of things we are thankful for, however small, a cup of hot coffee, a smile, the feel of clean sheets, the smell of fresh air..
“Escapism doesn’t dismiss reality, but rather gives us the opportunity to explore our minds with creativity.”
-jesus Gomez
Oh I'm definitely grateful regularly for many things. It's just something I recognize in myself, especially when stressed.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:One of the most significant negative habits we should be aware of is that of constantly allowing our mind to run off into the future… Carried away by our worries, we’re unable to live fully and happily in the present. Deep down, we believe we can’t really be happy just yet - that we still have a few more boxes to be checked off before we can really enjoy life.

- Thich Nhat Hanh, in “Peace Is Every Breath”.
Shortly after I read this post I came across an article I would not have thought would connect in any way with mindfulness, but the first part of that quote, "One of the most significant negative habits we should be aware of is that of constantly allowing our mind to run off into the future..." resonated. It is an article about Steve Jobs and success. If one keeps in mind that success is what we wish it to be (and not only equate it with power or financial success) the thoughts in the article connect well with mindfulness.
Steve Jobs wrote: "You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future.

You have to trust in something—your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.
The short article is worth the read.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

elengil wrote:I know my problem isn't just to run into the future, it's often to just run anywhere that isn't 'right now'.
Otherwise known as being a writer.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:
elengil wrote:I know my problem isn't just to run into the future, it's often to just run anywhere that isn't 'right now'.
Otherwise known as being a writer.
Doh! :doh:

Speaking of... I really need to get back to that... :oops:
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Are you doing Nano by any chance?

I think my writer's block is permanent.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:Are you doing Nano by any chance?

I think my writer's block is permanent.
No. I mean, there's no police to check, but pretty sure NANO is supposed to be a single story and I'm definitely working on a series of short stories, so I'm just gonna kinda kick my own butt and get back to writing them.

And, also.. uh.. meditation. Because topic. :D
was a 2020 planner.