Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Trump's America

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Dave_LF wrote:And now this:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... utType=amp

So it would seem that Trump abandoned a US military base to be taken by Russia, on Vladimir Putin's birthday. This is a true thing that actually happened in the real world in which we live. There's no point even saying it anymore, but just imagine if it had been Obama.
What a co-inky dink, hey? :roll:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

The latest news on the Kurdish situation:

It makes me want to vomit. I wonder if this can be considered a war crime?
No doubt Trump has this woman's blood on his hands!
Attachments
Trump and Kurds.jpg
Trump and Kurds.jpg (78.13 KiB) Viewed 4096 times
Last edited by Sunsilver on Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Just to confirm, since photos with text are rampantly false these days:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 53796.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/syria-i ... ke-2019-10
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Her car was shot up, she was dragged out, raped, and stoned to death.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

OMG, how awful. I believe I read that too here green berets were ashamed at what their (our) country has done in abandoning these people.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

My mind is beyond boggling.

'Don't be a tough guy. Don't be a fool!': Read Trump's letter to Turkish President

That might be the most bizarre presidential communication to another world leader that I have ever seen.

And I won't even get into the meeting he had today with congressional leaders, in which he reportedly insulted Speaker Pelosi as a "third-rate politician" and called Gen. Mattis the most overrated general of all time.

I'm going to move the posts about impeachment to the impeachment thread.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Maybe (probably) I don't understand the full context of that letter, but isn't it ultimately a good thing he's not basically saying "do whatever you want, I won't stop you"?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Voronwë, I saw that and came here thinking I'd post it in the WTF thread. It reads like something a middle-schooler would write as a prop for a school play. It's like a ransom note in a police comedy. At first, I took as seriously as the fake Obama birth certificate done up on a Starbucks bag. But apparently it's real. And Edrogan is supposed to take it seriously? If I were Erdogan, I'd call Melania and beg her to take her husband to a doctor.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I kinda wondered if it was a 'cover (his ass)' letter to mollify critics of his earlier phone call with Erdogan in a *wink-wink, nod-nod* sort of way. No executive worth their salt would write such a letter.
Voronwë the Faithful

Even the Russians thought that letter was bizarre.

Russia questions language of 'unusual' Trump letter to Erdogan

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Russian state news have been mocking Trump since pretty much always.
Trump whom Russian politicians often cast as a positive force in ties who is held back by an anti-Russian U.S. establishment.
See, that's the narrative I would expect but it's not the narrative I've seen. What I've heard was highly disrespectful.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It's a disgrace, is what it is. I saw some statistics .. the turnover rate in the Trump administration for top officials has been 80% (and I'll add that they don't seem to be replacing them with quality experienced people). We are basically running without a government. And we have an 'executive' who would be booted out of any top company. I think Rex Tillerson had it about right.

The statistics also show that Trump has spent more than 1/3 of his presidency thus far at Trump properties (which puts money back in his pocket).
He has golfed more than any president (something he criticized others for). There is a fact page for golf. Actually there are a couple of golf tracker sites, here's another. (and there are others.)
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful

I'll put this here for a little comic relief.

Mattis responds to Trump’s ‘world’s most overrated general’ comment
“I stand before you ... really having achieved greatness. I mean, I’m not just an overrated general. I am the greatest, the world’s most overrated," Mattis quipped.
Mattis continued: “I am honored to be considered that by Donald Trump because he also called Meryl Streep an overrated actress. So I guess I’m the Meryl Streep of generals. And frankly, that sounds pretty good to me. And you do have to admit, that between me and Meryl, at least we’ve had some victories."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

:rotfl: :clap:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Mattis also got his digs in recounting he got his bone-spurs on the battlefield, not at the doctors office. (oh burn!)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Where was all that wit and independence when he was Secretary of Defense?

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Mattis was the guest at some sort of formal roast/dinner. I would presume he had someone write his speech for him.

Something else I appreciated, he said he will not be silent (about his time in the Trump White House) forever and that he was just about done with therapy. He made some sort of joke that his time in the Trump WH was almost 3,000 years in dog (I presume 'mad' dog) years. I also presume from that comment that he may be a witness in the impeachment trial.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

John Kelly: Pulling out of Syria was a catastrophic idea
“What was working in Syria was that for very little investment, the Kurds were doing all the fighting, the vast majority of the dying, and we were providing intelligence and fire support assistance. And we were winning,” added the retired four-star Marine general.
A bit cynical, but probably accurate.

Good luck to us finding allies in the region next time.

Voronwë the Faithful