TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by Alatar »

Anyone else watching The Boys starring Karl Urban as a vigilante taking down corrupt Superheroes? Brilliant dark comedy. Seriously, is there anything Karl Urban can't do? Éomer, Bones, Dredd and now Butcher?

NSFW Language Warning!

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

He was also hilarious as Skurge in Thor: Ragnarok. His face turn was a little clumsy, I thought, but that was on the writers and he made it work.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We watched "The Boys" and liked it. Too short, though. I'd watch another season of it.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Alatar wrote:Anyone else watching The Boys starring Karl Urban as a vigilante taking down corrupt Superheroes? Brilliant dark comedy. Seriously, is there anything Karl Urban can't do? Éomer, Bones, Dredd and now Butcher?
I think he also played a villian in one of the Bourne movies, if I remember correctly.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yeah, I know he's done other stuff, but for me he's like the chameleon king of Fantasy/Sci Fi actors. Any one of those roles could have pigeonholed him, but he somehow seems to defy typecasting.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I remember being quite shocked at how good he was as McCoy. Really the only one of the new actors that I thought captured the original.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I thought he did really well as a villain in one of the Riddick movies.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

So Rogers pulled a nasty trick on me, and is eliminating the channel that carries Merlin. I was SO upset the other day- no warning, they just pulled my access to the channel, though it is still listed in the viewing guide!

This is the SECOND time I've had my access to the show blocked by a change Rogers made, so I was REALLY REALLY pissed off.

However, determined to see the rest of the series this time around, I allowed them to persuade me to subscribe the Netflix for a month. It's only $16.00 and change...

I binge-watched the remaining episodes (there were only 7 I hadn't seen) and am now looking for something else to watch. I definitely have a few movies in mind I'd like to see (some of the Marvel movies, plus The Dark Crystal.) And I am definitely going to go back an re-watch a few of my favourite Merlin episodes. I have to confess I've developed something of a crush on Anthony Head (Uther) :whistle: :whistle: Unfortunately, he gets killed off near the start of Season 4... :cry:

Any other suggestions for things that can easily be watched in just a month? :D :D :D :D

I started watching the series this time around near the beginning of Season 3 (Goblin's Gold) and watched it through to the end. Then, they began repeating it from the beginning. It's been interesting to watch the character's development. I am seeing both Arthur and Merlin mature mentally and physically. They both looked SO young in Season 1! Though if you check their ages, they weren't THAT young when the series started. I think it's a matter of them putting on muscle due to the physical demands of the series. In Season 1, you never saw Merlin touch a sword, except to look after Arthur's sword, or in the episode that involved the coming of Excalibur. Now, he's been involved in several sword fights, and since he never wears armour, you know he has to be doing most of the fighting.

Same thing with Arthur. Though there's a lot of camera cutting during his sword fights, he is now bare-headed in most of his fights, and if he's using a double, it's only for shots done at a distance. And, they frequently show him bare-chested in scenes where Merlin (who is also his servant) comes into his bedroom to help him dress. Needless to say, he is looking really buff, though not as buff as he does in the final season.

Okay...um...where were we...?? :oops:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Sunsilver wrote: I have to confess I've developed something of a crush on Anthony Head (Uther) :whistle: :whistle: Unfortunately, he gets killed off near the start of Season 4... :cry:
Watch Buffy!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

He (and the actor who plays Gaius, Richard Wilson) have the most beautiful speaking voices. I knew they were trained for the theatre before I even looked them up on IMDB. :love:

Kate McGrath (Morgana) is certainly very nice to look at, too.

I don't much care for vampire shows, but may give Buffy a try. I've heard so much about it.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Anthony Head occasionally sings on Buffy. His voice really is exceptional.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Alatar wrote:Anyone else watching The Boys starring Karl Urban as a vigilante taking down corrupt Superheroes? Brilliant dark comedy. Seriously, is there anything Karl Urban can't do? Éomer, Bones, Dredd and now Butcher?
I think he also played a villian in one of the Bourne movies, if I remember correctly.
He also played opposite Bruce Willis (another :love: ) in R.E.D.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Maria, you are overcoming my resistance to watching Buffy!

Need a tech tip for Netflix - I assume there's some way of accessing an alphabetical directory, so you can search out a show or movie the menu isn't showing you? How do I access that?

Treated myself to Thor: Raganork last night. On the menu for tonight is Solo: A Star Wars Story!

Raganork didn't suck as badly as I'd been led to believe. But that's a story for another thread...

I hated that when I first got into Netflix, it wouldn't let me watch the movie I'd selected, but instead told me to pick 3 movies or TV shows I liked. It then gave me the option of watching Once Upon A Time. :x
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Use the search button on the left Sunny.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Sunsilver wrote:Maria, you are overcoming my resistance to watching Buffy!
I wouldn't watch it for years because I thought the title was dumb, as well as the premise. After I was finally convinced to watch "Dr. Horrible" (a much shorter time commitment) , I just had to watch more of Joss Whedon's stuff. That lead to "Firefly" :love: and, eventually, "Buffy". I actually have trouble deciding which of those two should be at the top of my all time favorite TV shows. :scratch: I guess Buffy, simply because there's so much more of it- and thus so much more time for character development.

Not that I like everything Joss Whedon. I found "Dollhouse" deeply disturbing, and cried with just about every episode. And his superhero movies don't stand out for me.
But "Buffy" and "Firefly"? Really, really good. "Angel" is good too, but it's just a spinoff from "Buffy" and I think of them as the same series, almost. Except "Angel" is darker.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

[sigh!] Aand of course, Netflix doesn't have Buffy available. :(

Alatar, they make that search button on the left ridiculously hard to find! :nono: When I first pull up Netflix, the first thing it does is offer me programs to watch. When you are scrolling through those programs the panel on the left that allows you to search alphabetically is not accessible. It's only accessible once you've selected something to watch! :rage:

It's taken me THREE DAYS to figure it out!!

Anyway, I now have a bunch of stuff queued up to watch, both movies and TV shows. One of the shows offered is Monty Python's Flying Circus!!

I was rather surprised at some of the older movies and TV shows offered. They obviously make the choices by popularity, rather than age!

Between watching "Solo: A Star Wars Story" and scrolling through the various Netflix offerings, I didn't get one heck of a lot done today. But, hey, it was raining outside... :D
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Yeah, it’s raining.

I watched Big Little Lies. Has anyone seen it?

Initially, I did not like much of the first episode. But a certain thing near the end of it piqued my interest. I am glad I watched the whole season.

I am trying to watch Succession, but their abrupt zooms is really triggering my vertigo, and headaches. I have heard later that they stop doing that, but we will see if I make it that far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Actually, Sunny, maybe it it's best you can't find Buffy on streaming.

Apparently when they remastered the series for conversion to HD for streaming, they did it very badly.
There's a long youtube clip detailing the problems with the remaster, but it has lots of spoilers. Those start around the 7 minute mark, if you want to watch some of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZWNGq70Oyo&t=

I've never seen the streaming version, so I can't comment on how much the story is changed by what they did or didn't do with the footage. The contrasts between the original shots and the remastered ones shown in the video are striking, though. I'm glad we have the DVDs.

Oh, and the movie by the same name isn't very good at all. You don't need it to appreciate the series.
Last edited by Maria on Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Hey Maria, your link starts at the 7-minute mark. Is that what you meant to do?

Watching that video reminded me of a question I have: will the original unedited Star Wars trilogy ever be available for purchasing or watching again?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Woah! I didn't know you could even DO that! Link to a specific spot in the video, I mean.

I've fixed that. The video will start at the beginning, now.