Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Alatar »

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/11 ... rt-US-army

Really?

“The continental army suffered a bitter winter at Valley Forge, found glory across the water of Delaware and seized victory from Cornwallis in Yorktown.

“Our army manned the ramparts. It took over the airports. It did everything it had to do.

“At Fort McHenry, under the rockets’ red glare, it had nothing but victory.”
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That is particularly bizarre because it looks to be a prepared speech. If it was some off the cuff commentary it would look silly but it'd just be a goofy slip of the tongue. But he seemed to be reading from a promptor. Did someone actually write down that they took over the airports??
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

While they did not (as most administrations do) release a transcript of the prepared remarks, I am quite sure that the airport comments and the comments about the rockets red glare at Ft. McHenry being during the Revolutionary War (when of course it was decades later during the War of 1812) were "ab libs". Apparently he had trouble reading the teleprompter in the rain.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I watched the clip of him saying it and it didn't feel like an ad lib to me but hopefully you are right....
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

According to Mr. Trump himself, the teleprompter went out and he was reciting the speech from memory at that point. Apparently, the "airports" comment was what he remembered, though I doubt it was what was actually written.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/05/politics ... index.html
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm sure Washington appreciated Air Force One. Rowing on a freezing Potomac is so..yesteryear.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

Photographic evidence that there was airports before 1776 after all!
Attachments
Rockville Airport.jpg
Rockville Airport.jpg (69.03 KiB) Viewed 5073 times
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Yabba-dabba-do!
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Frelga wrote:
Jude wrote:
Frelga wrote: and the brilliant ideas for offbeat products no one would make but I would totally buy)
What's an example of a product that no one would make but you would totally buy?
Pill that makes you temporarily deaf in one ear when you’re on a call in a noisy place.

Drive thru restaurant that projects menu onto your windshield so you know what you want before pulling up to order.

Backup cameras for backpacks for people who don't realize they take up space outside their own body.

Email app for your parents that does not come loaded with a forwarding feature.

AI bot that answers telemarketing calls for you and has long, seemingly plausible conversations to waste as much time as possible.
The last item is available - a robo answerer that will engage a robo caller for up to 45 minutes. With my luck, I'd exceed my monthly minute allowance.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Living/check ... d=60933277
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Donald Trump Cancels Meeting With Danish Prime Minister Over Greenland

I am at a complete loss for words.

I asked a Danish friend of mine about this whole affair. She said that Greenland's a drain on Danish finances but too poor to stand on its own. She said we could have it if she (my friend, not the state of Denmark, just this one individual Dane) can have Texas. She's got a thing for cowboys. That'd be a trade worth talking about, actually, now that I think about it. Not sure how the Texans would feel about it but I guess they could just all move to Greenland.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I am boggled by just how rude and presumptuous such a comment toward another country is and how clueless Trump seems to be about how awful it is. That he's going to pout/be so petty about going to Denmark as planned, especially as the meeting had nothing to do with a 'real estate deal'. One bizarre thing after another. Oh.. but Putin is our friend.

I am sure the Greenlanders do not want to be an acquisition of Trumps.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Not 'The Onion', which was what I was expecting when I first saw the headline: :help:

Trump Looks Up At The Sky, Declares Himself ‘The Chosen One’ After Saying He’s The ‘Second Coming Of God’

https://theguardiansofdemocracy.com/tru ... U3YUJNNh0k
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

So is that a sarcastic website like The Onion? If not, the headline is blatantly deceptive. Trump said he was the chosen one to take on China trade policy because his predecessors had failed to do so (I don't know whether or not Trump tends to gesticulate when he speaks). As to the outright lie in the second part of the headline, that remark was made second-hand by someone extolling Trump's support of Israel and recounting some Israelis' opinions of Trump, according to the article itself. I doubt these people are the guardians of anything, but certainly not of the standards of journalism.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Thank you for checking it, Cerin.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Yeah, whatever that website is, it looks pretty garbagy. There's plenty of real crappy things Trump has said and done, there's no need to make some up to rile up the left.
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

I'm the first one to call out misleading articles and headlines, which that "Guardians of Democracy" (oy!) article certainly is, but the clip of Mr. Trump stating that he is the chosen one and looking up at the sky is pretty disturbing all the same.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/201 ... ip-vpx.cnn
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Yes. There is no need to embellish any of the events of the past few days. If Trump were still just a TV personality we'd be counting down the days until he goes to rehab or wherever it is that celebrities go when their public flameouts have gone over the top.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I'm the first one to call out misleading articles and headlines, which that "Guardians of Democracy" (oy!) article certainly is, but the clip of Mr. Trump stating that he is the chosen one and looking up at the sky is pretty disturbing all the same.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/201 ... ip-vpx.cnn
I don't find it disturbing at all. Trump refers to the fact that this has fallen to him because his predecessors didn't deal with it, and then he goes on to explicitly say, 'I was put here by people to do a great job.' So if anything, the glance upwards was intended in a joking manner, imo.

I was very glad to see that the clip gave the full context of the moment, thus allowing people to come to their own conclusions.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Voronwë the Faithful

So if anything, the glance upwards was intended in a joking manner, imo.
Just as he retweeted a tweet claiming he's was the 'second coming of God' earlier in the day in a joking manner. Or this one, later in the day,

Trump says he wanted to give himself Medal of Honor

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It will be interesting to see his comments in light of fact-checking. A fact check for some of his statements made earlier this week.

He does tend to stretch the truth/lie/get his facts wrong quite a lot.

Voronwē, I agree, such comments are inappropriate.. by ANY president. I'm sure people would not have found them funny if they had been said 'in jest' by other presidents.